Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loaner Cars! Sweet!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have been waiting since March 30th for a call back from the LA service. Some of my issues have resolved, or I have fixed them, but I have still not heard after three weeks and several followup calls.

I've been waiting for a callback since March 23rd from the LA Service team. I've sent countless emails and voicemails. I was a Roadster owner and now a Model S owner, and I've been on this forum for years. Don't know why everyone is so hostile towards me. As recently as February the LA Service dept had so many cars they were juggling that they even rented a remote lot and had well over 100 cars (as told to me by an employee there). I wouldn't be surprised if this was still the case. They're obviously trying to phase this out by not accepting any more cars into the service facility until they can thin the herd a bit. For those of you calling BS on me, just ask anyone who is serviced by the LA team. Part of the problem is that they're still handling the "dealer prep" on some of the cars, but luckily Fremont and Hawthorne are taking care of more and more of that.

I have interfaced quite a bit with the LA service center and I can attest to the fact that they are greatly overwhelmed. That's Tesla's problem to fix and I don't think we as owners owe it to them to be terribly understanding; when your new $100K isn't working, you deserve a quick response. That said, there are not 100 cars waiting and there are not 80 cars waiting. It's hard to fit more than about a dozen cars there and they do get through the ones on the lot. I think the hyperbole does make some not want to take your side but the facts are plenty for you to be upset about. The fact is that the space isn't big enough and they don't have enough people there. It's extremely hard to even get someone to answer the phone. If you are in the LA area and have an issue that needs immediate attention, you are going to have to be persistent with the people in Freemont. If they tell you to wait for LA to contact you, don't hold your breath. What I highly recommend is that you take your car's issue to the OC service center. A lot less convenient but they are much larger and much better at responding to any issue. It's not a good answer but it's the current answer. Oh and let Tesla know if you're unhappy about it. Don't take it out on the guys there--- it's not their fault that Tesla hasn't given them the necessary resources to adequately respond. LA needs a bigger service center and more people. If you agree, let Tesla know.

I've paid thousands of dollars for the Ranger Everywhere plan and I expect them to honor their side of the bargain. I'm not going to take a day off work (they are closed on weekends) just to drive down to Orange Country. That's over 100 miles each way from where I live, and the traffic is horrible (probably take several hours each way).

Anyway, back on topic. My claim was that 80 loaner cars (for the whole nation) is not nearly enough, and that Tesla is nowhere near the 1st company to offer same-make loaner cars. I see this as a "step in the right direction", but let's not pretend it is some fantastic thing that Tesla is pioneering. This should have been the policy since day #1, and they need more loaners than that. I think 80 cars might be an okay amount to start with, but it needs to scale as more cars are sold.

Here's what Hyundai offers (taken from their official press release):
Hyundai will continue to offer its unique ownership experience for Equus customers, including tailored dealership showrooms, "Your Time, Your Place" at-home vehicle demonstrations, "At Your Service" valet service appointments and an interactive owner's manual app for Apple iPad®.

The sales and service experience for Equus is unlike any other in the industry, with a special focus on the customer's time and convenience. Prospective buyers can participate in the "Your Time, Your Place" valet test drive program, where a specially-trained Product Champion will deliver an Equus to their home or office for a personalized, convenient shopping experience. Equus also features the industry's first interactive owner's manual app, providing a convenient and simpler way for owners to become familiar with the full capabilities of the vehicle.

Another benefit of Equus "At Your Service" is completely free maintenance services throughout the five-year, 60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty period. During this five-year period, any maintenance or warranty issue is fully covered by Hyundai, providing exceptional peace of mind to Equus owners. When service is required, Equus owners can schedule their maintenance and service through a simple online scheduling system or from the interactive owner's manual. An Equus owner can also choose to have their vehicle picked up at their home or business, with a complimentary loaner dropped off. Once service is completed, the owner again chooses the time and location for the vehicle to be delivered.

source: 2014 Hyundai Equus gallops into New York with first major refresh

Last edited:
In the interview, Musk even gave the credit to Lexus for first pioneering the plan. The step in the right direction sentiment is correct, but you have to remember this car company literally started from scratch. The fact that it's even making a promise like this (especially with constrained supply of vehicles) is the real part of the service announcement and the fact that they will bring the car to you. Give it some time.

I think what's driving people nuts is after all these rants, you haven't posted what is wrong with your car. You have to be cognizant that there are a lot of shorts on the boards trying to muckrake Tesla through Forums. Users probably looked at your thread history as well. Last I checked, you cancelled your Model S and you bought a Plug-in Prius?

In short, we know the white glove treatment isn't a new concept, but it is one that isn't offered as much these days. We know Tesla is scaling up its infrastructure and it will take time. But what we DON'T know is what is wrong with your car? Why not post it and quiet those that are mad at you and perhaps even start a thread to find a solution. It's been done many times over by other Model S owners.

I've paid thousands of dollars for the Ranger Everywhere plan and I expect them to honor their side of the bargain. I'm not going to take a day off work (they are closed on weekends) just to drive down to Orange Country. That's over 100 miles each way from where I live, and the traffic is horrible (probably take several hours each way).

Anyway, back on topic. My claim was that 80 loaner cars (for the whole nation) is not nearly enough, and that Tesla is nowhere near the 1st company to offer same-make loaner cars. I see this as a "step in the right direction", but let's not pretend it is some fantastic thing that Tesla is pioneering. This should have been the policy since day #1, and they need more loaners than that. I think 80 cars might be an okay amount to start with, but it needs to scale as more cars are sold.

Here's what Hyundai offers (taken from their official press release):
Hyundai will continue to offer its unique ownership experience for Equus customers, including tailored dealership showrooms, "Your Time, Your Place" at-home vehicle demonstrations, "At Your Service" valet service appointments and an interactive owner's manual app for Apple iPad®.

The sales and service experience for Equus is unlike any other in the industry, with a special focus on the customer's time and convenience. Prospective buyers can participate in the "Your Time, Your Place" valet test drive program, where a specially-trained Product Champion will deliver an Equus to their home or office for a personalized, convenient shopping experience. Equus also features the industry's first interactive owner's manual app, providing a convenient and simpler way for owners to become familiar with the full capabilities of the vehicle.

Another benefit of Equus "At Your Service" is completely free maintenance services throughout the five-year, 60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty period. During this five-year period, any maintenance or warranty issue is fully covered by Hyundai, providing exceptional peace of mind to Equus owners. When service is required, Equus owners can schedule their maintenance and service through a simple online scheduling system or from the interactive owner's manual. An Equus owner can also choose to have their vehicle picked up at their home or business, with a complimentary loaner dropped off. Once service is completed, the owner again chooses the time and location for the vehicle to be delivered.

source: 2014 Hyundai Equus gallops into New York with first major refresh

First Model S loaner

I have the dubious honor of being the first Tesla customer to receive a Model S loaner. I had an unexpected service issue today this afternoon; our SC manager, Mat, asked if I needed a replacement car while mine was fixed. My reply, "only if it's a Tesla!" He had an orphaned S85 (not P85) and got permission from HQ to convert it into a loaner for me. Thanks, Mat! And thanks, Tesla -- so much nicer driving a Model S home instead of some POS from Enterprise.

I have the dubious honor of being the first Tesla customer to receive a Model S loaner. I had an unexpected service issue today this afternoon; our SC manager, Mat, asked if I needed a replacement car while mine was fixed. My reply, "only if it's a Tesla!" He had an orphaned S85 (not P85) and got permission from HQ to convert it into a loaner for me. Thanks, Mat! And thanks, Tesla -- so much nicer driving a Model S home instead of some POS from Enterprise.
The two Model S' that have been parked there for 2 week - were they the loaners? (assuming watertown service center)

The LA store is WAAAY too physically small. Los Angeles has about a 1000 Model S's to service. When they are so packed you can imagine just the effort to move a cars in and out of the service bay. Everyone has to drop what they are doing for a "all hands on deck" just to scoot cars around.

My impression is they are prioritizing cars that are mission critical not working and pushing back on all other issues.

What are they doing about it? (Not that we customers and the LA service did not see it coming)

I was told Tesla "corporate" who are the ones who buy property and design stores and service centers has been to the LA store and seen it bursting at the seams on the worst of days. Of course buying and building a new facility is no overnight process.

There are service centers going into Torrance and VanNuys as well as a new LA service (no-one has said when)

I was there a week ago. There were FIVE technicians from the Tesla Factory (maybe more) They were all working on cars along side the regular techs. Imagine the housing for that.

This is all I know. My experience with Tesla is they always have more over the top things brewing than anyone expects. I'm sure it will be amazing. Just not as soon as anyone wants.

Elon has said he's taking on service now. I'm sure he has had this feedback more than once. He has his car work done at LA service. Maybe even been there to see it overrun.

An update to my "first loaner" status: happily drove the loaner today to work, then took a 70-mile "joy ride" to get out of my office this afternoon. (It overlooks the bombing site on the marathon route; the blood stains on the sidewalks are painfully clear.) Discussed plans to get my car back; the Watertown service center manager drove my car to my house this evening, then drove off in the loaner. Ranger service is a very sweet option, and Mat is a great customer service rep.

I should further heap praise on the Watertown center staff -- I arrived yesterday with car-in-need-of-repair, and am immediately offered a bacon cheeseburger, fresh off the grill that they had set up to celebrate Patriots' Day. Then another owner swings by with his totally blacked-out P85, and it's all like a family reunion. What a great community Tesla is building!

Further add: there's something fun about driving such a sweet car with manufacturer's plates on it. Seriously, we never see manufacturer's plates here in New England.

Last edited:
An update to my "first loaner" status: happily drove the loaner today to work, then took a 70-mile "joy ride" to get out of my office this afternoon. (It overlooks the bombing site on the marathon route; the blood stains on the sidewalks are painfully clear.) Discussed plans to get my car back; the Watertown service center manager drove my car to my house this evening, then drove off in the loaner. Ranger service is a very sweet option, and Mat is a great customer service rep.

I should further heap praise on the Watertown center staff -- I arrived yesterday with car-in-need-of-repair, and am immediately offered a bacon cheeseburger, fresh off the grill that they had set up to celebrate Patriots' Day. Then another owner swings by with his totally blacked-out P85, and it's all like a family reunion. What a great community Tesla is building!

Further add: there's something fun about driving such a sweet car with manufacturer's plates on it. Seriously, we never see manufacturer's plates here in New England.
So true about the plates;

BTW, those pictures of the blast site are horrific. hopefully they catch them soon

Blacked out P85 seen at Watertown:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366166794.431751.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366166819.403759.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366166853.733530.jpg

I love the idea of performance 85 loaners for most people but have one concern. I live right at 250 miles from the nearest service center. When I get to "the big city," I won't have a place to charge conveniently like at home and don't really want to run around looking for chargepoints and paying more per mile than gas to charge at some of these stations. Hanging out at walgreens 8-12 hours isn't my idea of fun. Taking a cab or train from a charge location to my hotel and back and leaving my loaner alone at some random location doesn't sound like a good idea either. I don't want to be limited to EV-friendly hotels (few), teaching valets how to use / charge the car, etc. I wonder if the ICE option would be left on the table for these types of instances.

They had better not have spoilers!
Well, I like the idea of P85 loaner, but if my loaner has a spoiler, I’m pulling out some dental floss, ripping the thing off, and driving it back to the service center where they can install it on my car while I wait.