Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loaner Governed at 80 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friend of mine just had his standard Model S serviced recently and had a P85 loaner for a week. He was really impressed with the effortless acceleration which was noticeably quicker than the standard model, especially in the 0-40 mph range. At one point he briefly got up to 80 mph and noticed the car start to shudder and realized that it was governed to not exceed that speed. Anyone else have this experience? I assume that speeding with the P85 may be too hard to resist for some.

The test-drive cars at the showrooms are governed at 80 mph. You could argue that Tesla does not want the liability plus the extra wear and tear of people driving the P85 loaners "like they stole it". You could also argue that part of the purpose of the P85 loaners is to entice people to trade-up, so governing them at 80 mph is a little self-defeating.

If they can do this, why can't we set a limit in our cars. Valet? Children? Etc.

At Teslive, one person asked or requested a "valet Mode" from (I believe) Elon. And if I remember correctly, he said they do have the ability (when I did my test drive, I was told about the 80MPH limit) to limit the speed and I believe he said a "valet mode" would be coming soon (1-2 months) with software updates they have planned for after they finish the software updates for the European deliveries.

You could also argue that part of the purpose of the P85 loaners is to entice people to trade-up, so governing them at 80 mph is a little self-defeating.

I don't feel it is, though. (Almost?) any car can go 80 or more; to me, the amazing thing with the Tesla is the acceleration--how fast you get to 80/70/60/etc.. Yeah, there'll be a handful of people who want to see how quickly it goes past 80, but most would just see the difference in how fast it gets going and that would suffice. (But then, I'm happy with my S85, so what do I know. ;-) )

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. And I mean the difference in how the P85 gets up there versus the S85; some loaners are going to P85 customers anyway, I suppose, so they don't need to be impresses even by the Perf/non-perf difference.

I dropped my car off yesterday for the 12,500 service - and have a similar P85 loaner (which is fantastic!).

The 80 MPH limit isn't really a big deal - around town, speed limits are significantly below 80MPH here.

The only major concern is that I noticed there isn't any way to clear the car of personal information. You can manually clear the destination settings before returning the car - by hitting the "x" on each line in places - if there are destinations you don't want to provide to the next driver (such as your home address).

But you CANNOT clear the charging locations - so if you charge your car - your home address will be listed in the car - forever.

The Model S is pretty new - and there probably haven't been very many re-sales yet. Tesla should add a "clear personal data" command to the user interface though.

But you CANNOT clear the charging locations - so if you charge your car - your home address will be listed in the car - forever.

The Model S is pretty new - and there probably haven't been very many re-sales yet. Tesla should add a "clear personal data" command to the user interface though.
Please report this particular detail to ownership@, bob. It's a very good point regarding privacy/security w/r/t loaners.

I've sent a request to Ownership about the privacy concerns. My suggestion was to add two options in the car's settings:

Clear Personal Data - which would clear the navigation history, Bluetooth pairings and recent charging locations (and any other personal data in the car)

Reset Car to Default Settings - would clear all the personal data plus reset everything back to the default settings for the car

Implementing one or both of these would resolve the privacy issue in loaners or in Model S cars being rented out - plus also cover the case when a Model S is re-sold and the old owner doesn't want their personal information transferred with the car.

It's likely Tesla has a way to do this already - but bringing it out for owners/drivers to use should still be done.

Instead of adding a "reset personal data" kludge button, they should just transfer the settings from your Model S to the loaner
These are opposite requests. I don't anyone has complained or expressed concerns about the "hassle" of setting up the loaner. The concern is about those settings (including charge points) remembered when your return the loaner. Also, we have no evidence (yet?) that they've even considered the idea of settings extraction (from a vehicle) or injection (to a vehicle) much less an implementation. If you expect this to be a cheaper (coding cost) implementation than adding a reset button, then you're mistaken.

Went on my test drive yesterday and the demo was also limited to 80. We were on the interstate and very quickly ran up to 80 where it stopped accelerating. I was told they don't like it but it seems to be the new standard with demo/loaners.

I test drove a p85+ today in Westchester and it got up to 80 pretty quick on the interstate and i think it stopped there.. it really didnt seem that fast and i wasn't really paying attention to the spedometer (i was paying attention to the traffic!). interesting.. felt like it was standing going about 50!

Do car dealers and rental agencies limit the speed of their loaners/rentals? I think the liability issue has been well sorted out already.

When was the last time you felt a sudden urge to test 0-100 in a Toyota Camry rental?

We as MS owners want the valet mode for the same reason Tesla governs their P85 loaners. Aren't we doing exactly what we don't want the valet guys to do? :scared: Can't blame them for limiting it.