Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 loses grip off the line when I floor it. Do I need wider rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:
I tried with the TC off and the peeling is even harder and more slippery. I got legit burnouts!
Seems like the answer may be bigger, wider rims with good quality summer rubber.

Again, it's all about the tire compounds. Wider tires don't make for a larger contact patch, they make for a different shape contact patch (wider and shorter). Better for cornering, but no difference in straight line.

One more tip. Reduce the tire pressure. 45psi is slightly over inflated in my experience. 41psi is just about right in the back for my car with 19x8.5 wheels and 245/45 OEM goodyear tires. (40psi front).

You'll notice that the P+ package is 38psi front and 40psi rear, I'm guessing they are prioritizing handling/grip over rolling resistance. :)

Go and show off all you want at a race track or on a closed road, but not on a public road where you could run over a pedestrian, get hit by someone who inadvertently ran a red light while you were "launching off the line", or any number of random events over which you have no control.

Thank you for the buzzkill public service announcement. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

Go and show off all you want at a race track or on a closed road, but not on a public road where you could run over a pedestrian, get hit by someone who inadvertently ran a red light while you were "launching off the line", or any number of random events over which you have no control.

If I get hit by someone when I have a green light and they ran a red light, I'm almost about 148.1337% sure that its their fault, not mine.

Should TC prevent squealing?
I was hoping to be able to accelerate quickly but quietly... However often half pressing the accelerator from a standstill causes significant squealing initially. Is my TC working right?

The instant I feel the tires slip (hence squeal) my TC kicks on and it takes control of the throttle until I have grip and then it takes off. If you continue to spin it sounds like TC isn't working.