Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jason,
In a number of posts, you and others have mentioned the pontential to do some of these modifications on non-performance RWD85’s. I have an July 2013 S85. Without putting a new DU, what can be done to increase performance closer to the P85?

I believe there are no hardware differences...not even the battery. An 85 can be turned into a P85 with software configuration alone.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
I've found that *some* non-P DUs can be flashed to be PDUs... but not all. Actually, most can't. Without flashing they'll accept a slightly higher max power command, but somewhere between base and P.

And yeah, the Ludicrous upgrade is a step above even that, with the replacement fuse, removal of the front motor fuse, replacement shunt, and BMS bootloader software. So, no software Ludicrous unlock on anything except the later P90Ds and any P100D (since they all have the new hardware). 85s all need hardware to be Ludicrous.

I've found that *some* non-P DUs can be flashed to be PDUs... but not all. Actually, most can't. Without flashing they'll accept a slightly higher max power command, but somewhere between base and P.

Can S85 owners have either of these done to their cars by a third party? Or is this something only Tesla can do and/or require major surgery in the firmware sense? Thanks.

I was told by another Tesla owner (he has a 2012 low-VIN, but not a Sig, P85) that the 2012 and early 2013 DUs were identical and the P was only a software difference and all DUs could output about 500 HP. But h said in mid-2013 there were changes that differentiated the two DUs hardware-wise.

So it sounds like my early 2014 85 (pre-AP) wouldn’t be able to make “full P” power. But it’s a moot point for me, because I don’t want to void my DU warranty.

I would like a faster 0-60 than 5.4 seconds (considering a new LR Model 3 can clean my clock) but not with the risk of requiring megabuck repairs. It’s the same reason I never put a supercharger in my 2006 GTO twelve years ago.

But I won’t hold my breath waiting for Tesla to uncork our classic 85s either. :) Just can’t try to beat any 3s off the line.

I have a car that was a p85d but then they put in a 90 battery and now they call it a p90d....does this mean it COULD be a P90DL with software? its almost out of warranty I'd love to get some DL going on it..??? and can wifes 2012 s85 with replaced DU be a p85?

Here's a pic of my "front motor" from some testing earlier in the day (has since been cleaned up a bit):
2017-01-11%2014.37.58-1920.jpg
As fascinating as reading this thread has been, I can't help but feel a slight disappointment that your front "not-a-motor" module didn't look more like a Flux Capacitor.

Thread revival but who can I pay to upgrade my 85 to a P85? I have been told with version 9 software I need to replace the invertor control board with a performance invertor control board due to the firmware. I already looked I to trading in the car for a performance model and the trade in offer from tesla was a joke. They didn't ask any questions just make/model/condition. Just had my motor replaced by tesla with the latest revision.

Reactions: gaswalla
Thread revival but who can I pay to upgrade my 85 to a P85? I have been told with version 9 software I need to replace the invertor control board with a performance invertor control board due to the firmware. I already looked I to trading in the car for a performance model and the trade in offer from tesla was a joke. They didn't ask any questions just make/model/condition. Just had my motor replaced by tesla with the latest revision.
Your pack, packfuse, and motor all need to support the amperage that defines a "P" as well, just fyi

I'm not volunteering his services or affiliated with him in any way, but wk057 has done a lot of Tesla upgrades and could probably do it.
He may not have the time, however, and would probably advise that it would cost you less in both time and money to just get a P85.