Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery is the limiting factor there, mainly.

Just wondering...have you analyzed the power distribution on a stock P85DL in terms of power going to the rear vs the front motors? Would it be beneficial (better performance) to tweak those to give more power to the rear wheels or has Tesla already maximized this balance in the stock?

Every time I read about a wk057 project I am in awe. I am rarely in awe. he does it every time.
When I am reading his stuff I recognize that my self-perceived well-informed being is actually an ignorant heathen.
and he lives in North Carolina, parts of which are among my favorite places.

• Disagree
Reactions: JPUConn
Holy moly...

2017-01-12%2012.16.50.jpg

is that with rollout?

sorry couldn't resist :)

I would just love to understand these cars in the depth you do, would add so much to the fun of owning them.
Fantastic job and thanks for sharing it with us.

• Informative
Reactions: woof
is that with rollout?

sorry couldn't resist :)

I would just love to understand these cars in the depth you do, would add so much to the fun of owning them.
Fantastic job and thanks for sharing it with us.

Yeah, it is... wanted something comparable to the original P85D number (3.2s w/rollout). Seems everyone quotes w/rollout these days.

Here is a CAN log graph of a 0-99 run:

p85L-0-99%20graph.jpg

Had pretty good traction here after the initial kick. (Yes, some of the motor and pack data is time-offset from the speed data for some reason... all of my CAN captures are like that) Was a hair uphill. 0-60 this run was 3.48s w/rollout, 3.67 straight 0-60.

Seems the hard torque limit was the acceleration limiting factor up until about 50 MPH. Drag strip 1/8th mile time calculated at 7.61s @ 94.5 MPH.... which is almost a full half-second faster in the 1/8th vs previous runs with the car a while back and +7 MPH trap. (Edit: Had an error in the initial 1/8th figure, typo in calculation script made the virtual track 36 feet shorter :p )

Awesome. :)

Last edited:
Are you able to change any part of the profile? Holding that nice flat torque curve for a little longer could shave a couple of points off the 0-60...

That would require more current. Power is a factor of torque and RPM. Once the RPM gets higher it would take more current to hold the same torque... and thus more power. The 650 Nm torque limit appears to be based on a mechanical limit. The current limit is a physical limitation of the inverter's design. There probably isn't much more that can be squeezed out of this drive unit without extensive modifications.

• Informative
Reactions: Icer and J1mbo
After you own your Tesla for four years, and go through a ton of firmware downgrades(yes the FW that my car was delivered with was far superior than the current version), then you might change your mind. Firmware doesnt exactly get worse when your engineering team is great....

Agree. Maybe hands were tied - is only excuse I can imagine.

These firmware downgrades along with depreciation hits with each upgrade are tough to handle.