Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can get a performance motor for $3k on eBay, not sure what a rooter charges. I doubt the upgrade would cost more than trading in and buying a p85 when considering tesla's ridiculously low trade in offer. I can sell the battery on eBay out of the car for what tesla offerred. Salvage model S with similar milage , age and features goes for more than they and still needs to be repaired. Mine is in excellent shape, doesn't suffer from battery gate as far as I can tell, is well loaded and no accident history. If I could make mine equivalent to a P85 or greater for under $3,500 I would likely do it.

Pretty much all of the Tesla drive units on eBay are garbage. They're usually the motors they can't use in vehicles. Especially the sport ones. They'll have bad bearings, be a crap revision, bad inverter, flood cars, etc. Just say no to eBay. It's full of trash these days when it comes to this stuff. They get away with it because really no one knows what they're buying, has no way to test the stuff, etc.

(Edit: After posting this, got in a browser tab rabbit hole glancing at Tesla parts on eBay... and holy moly. So. Much. Trash. Some standouts: a base motor "with only 5000 miles"... that's actually a twice remanufactured unit from mid 2013 (even without knowing that, it even looks like it's been around a while, so pretty unlikely to have only 5k miles)... a 2019 P100D motor where the picture is of a 2014 base motor. Several other "SPORT" motors that show base units in photos. Some battery modules that are 60 modules without being specified. "250 Ah" battery modules always crack me up. Lots and lots of other scammy listings. Sheesh.)

If you have an 85 RWD (or any other Tesla really) and don't care about warranty, I do upgrades. They must be done at my shop, and I make zero exceptions to this. Don't ask me to program your car or do any other nonsense remotely. The answer is no.

85 -> P85 - If your base motor is in good condition, and we've got a good sport unit, ~$4500 with the core return. Includes labor, programming, etc. ~$6900 if your base motor is garbage for resale (bad bearing, clunky diff, etc... like if you got it on eBay).

85 -> "P85++" - Requires battery swap or battery modifications, plus a custom modified performance dual motor rear DU swap. Varies depending on vehicle. If your pack is in good condition, a one for one swap at a reasonable cost to an upgraded one is an option. The motor upgrade is costly, since it needs to be a specific variant to handle the added power. $9k with a good core, $12k w/o. Battery upgrade can be costly if yours isn't upgradable (vast majority of RWD 85 packs are not) and has more degradation that is useful for a swap/resale. Case by case.

In all honesty, your wallet is the limit on upgrades. Even then I make basically nothing doing them, either. Just get my guys paid and cover costs.

Can make virtually any model any other model if you're willing to pay for it. Single motor to dual motor is where I draw the line, thought, as this requires extensive body modification, and it just doesn't make sense to do it. Given the high cost, I'd rather just buy your car and sell you an AWD and be done with it.

Basically can make any RWD S into any of these: 40, 60, 70, 75, 85, P85, 90, P90, 100*, P100*, P85++*, P90++*, P100++*
And any AWD S or X into any of the above, or any of the following: 60D, 70D, 75D, 85D, 90D, 100D, P85D, P90D, P100D, P85D, P90D, P100D

(* - There are software update caveats involved with these, as they're not officially supported configurations.)

Also have experimented a bit with making AWD cars into front wheel drive for improved efficiency (~5% more range) at the expense of peak power. I'll gladly do this for "free" if anyone wants to go that route, too... keeping the rear motor, of course.

Again, just a matter of cost. In the vast majority of cases, selling your car and buying the car you want is less expensive, has fewer (if any) warranty implications, etc. In most cases, I try to talk people out of upgrades.

If you still really want to do one, shoot my guys a note via 057tech and we'll see what we can do. Probably will try to talk you out of it still and go from there. :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the great information along with the details. Can we determine if our batteries are capable of modification based on part number. Example mine is 1014114-00-D.

I many cases, yes. There are a few exceptions around late 2014 that need a physical inspection of the ancillary bay.

Edit: Forgot to note, 1014114-00-D is not able to be upgraded to higher current output. Ones that usually can be are 1055519-00-B and 1031043-00-E... plus all 90s and 100s. Also 1064361-00-A, 1076318-00-*, 1076319-00-A, and 1107172-00-A.

What's involved in adding Ludicrous to a P85D? Is that possible now?

This can be done, sure, provided you don't have one of the oddball batteries that this can't be done with. Most of the early P85Ds are doable, though. It's still pretty involved regardless.

I was under the impression early vin S85 and P85 drive units were the same/interchangeable with only the inverter being different.

The motor + differential/gearbox are all the same on the large units (edit: To clarify, they've been revised over the years, but no differences between performance and non-performance of the same build date). The inverter has some minor differences in some revisions. Much later units are identical and even have a bootloader that allows flashing of either base or performance firmware. For the most part, the difference is just enforced by the bootloader, however.

Last edited:
You've probably been asked this a million times, but possible to make a P90D V3 battery ludicrous via software only?

Does this lock you to the current version, void any warranties etc? (I believe, but probably wrong, that the V3 battery just needs software to unlock ludicrous).

PM me if that's easier :)

Pretty much all of the Tesla drive units on eBay are garbage. They're usually the motors they can't use in vehicles. Especially the sport ones. They'll have bad bearings, be a crap revision, bad inverter, flood cars, etc. Just say no to eBay. It's full of trash these days when it comes to this stuff. They get away with it because really no one knows what they're buying, has no way to test the stuff, etc.

(Edit: After posting this, got in a browser tab rabbit hole glancing at Tesla parts on eBay... and holy moly. So. Much. Trash. Some standouts: a base motor "with only 5000 miles"... that's actually a twice remanufactured unit from mid 2013 (even without knowing that, it even looks like it's been around a while, so pretty unlikely to have only 5k miles)... a 2019 P100D motor where the picture is of a 2014 base motor. Several other "SPORT" motors that show base units in photos. Some battery modules that are 60 modules without being specified. "250 Ah" battery modules always crack me up. Lots and lots of other scammy listings. Sheesh.)

If you have an 85 RWD (or any other Tesla really) and don't care about warranty, I do upgrades. They must be done at my shop, and I make zero exceptions to this. Don't ask me to program your car or do any other nonsense remotely. The answer is no.

85 -> P85 - If your base motor is in good condition, and we've got a good sport unit, ~$4500 with the core return. Includes labor, programming, etc. ~$6900 if your base motor is garbage for resale (bad bearing, clunky diff, etc... like if you got it on eBay).

85 -> "P85++" - Requires battery swap or battery modifications, plus a custom modified performance dual motor rear DU swap. Varies depending on vehicle. If your pack is in good condition, a one for one swap at a reasonable cost to an upgraded one is an option. The motor upgrade is costly, since it needs to be a specific variant to handle the added power. $9k with a good core, $12k w/o. Battery upgrade can be costly if yours isn't upgradable (vast majority of RWD 85 packs are not) and has more degradation that is useful for a swap/resale. Case by case.

In all honesty, your wallet is the limit on upgrades. Even then I make basically nothing doing them, either. Just get my guys paid and cover costs.

Can make virtually any model any other model if you're willing to pay for it. Single motor to dual motor is where I draw the line, thought, as this requires extensive body modification, and it just doesn't make sense to do it. Given the high cost, I'd rather just buy your car and sell you an AWD and be done with it.

Basically can make any RWD S into any of these: 40, 60, 70, 75, 85, P85, 90, P90, 100*, P100*, P85++*, P90++*, P100++*
And any AWD S or X into any of the above, or any of the following: 60D, 70D, 75D, 85D, 90D, 100D, P85D, P90D, P100D, P85D, P90D, P100D

(* - There are software update caveats involved with these, as they're not officially supported configurations.)

Also have experimented a bit with making AWD cars into front wheel drive for improved efficiency (~5% more range) at the expense of peak power. I'll gladly do this for "free" if anyone wants to go that route, too... keeping the rear motor, of course.

Again, just a matter of cost. In the vast majority of cases, selling your car and buying the car you want is less expensive, has fewer (if any) warranty implications, etc. In most cases, I try to talk people out of upgrades.

If you still really want to do one, shoot my guys a note via 057tech and we'll see what we can do. Probably will try to talk you out of it still and go from there. :p

Amazing work you are doing @wk057

Is a p100++ a rear wheel drive p100d ludicrous ?

Long shot - but wondering if you could add model 3P-like track mode to a s or x p100d ludicrous that has been modded to be rwd ?

That would be quite the drift / fun track car