Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Nose ground clearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm set to receive my p85 in a couple of weeks. My office parking spot is against an adjacent building, and I must be very careful to avoid hitting the building with the nose of my car. My landlord has offered to put a concrete parking curb in the front (to keep the nose of the car away from the building), but I am concerned the nose of the car might not clear that curb. Could someone with a p85 please give me the measurement between the ground and the bottom lip of the front nose on the car?

FYI, I have ordered the air suspension and believe I can raise the car higher if necessary, but do not know if the car stays in the raised position when turned off.

thanks for your help.

Agree on parking sensors - obvious fix and wish I had them.
Doug_G: curious why you recommend against using the air suspension when parking? I use it everyday when I park at my office to clear a parking curb and quite often to ensure door opening clearance when parallel parked by high sidewalks. Is there some risk to this I should consider?

It hasn't happened to me since, but twice in the first month of ownership my Sig's air suspension settled the nose onto parking bumpers while I was away from the car. It's not supposed to do that, but there it is.

It hasn't happened to me since, but twice in the first month of ownership my Sig's air suspension settled the nose onto parking bumpers while I was away from the car. It's not supposed to do that, but there it is.
:scared: WHAT! Did you have it looked at in the Service Center? Curious as to cause.

As for OP, that's the beauty of Air, car will know where you use it, and next time automatically do it for you (i.e. your spot)--I found that to be very cool!

:scared: WHAT! Did you have it looked at in the Service Center? Curious as to cause.

As for OP, that's the beauty of Air, car will know where you use it, and next time automatically do it for you (i.e. your spot)--I found that to be very cool!

Ownership and my SC had no answers for me. But it's been 10 months since the last incident so I decided just to let it go...and not to park with the nose overhanging bumpers and curbs.

- - - Updated - - -

Hummm. I was told by multiple Tesla reps at test drive that it does--maybe in 5.0 (which comes with new cars).

Want! :love:

My P85 does not "geo recall" high settings. .66 firmware.

What I want is a "park button" that puts it into super high mode (a single tap rather than the current 2 step approach). Or, perhaps off of the right scroll wheel so I don't divert my attention from parking.

OK, I'd prefer parking sensors but baring a retro fit, a park button would help a lot. My main problem is with unfamiliar parking lots.

Order the parking sensors. Done.

(Personally I would not park over the curb with air suspension. I avoid it at all times.)

i ordered the night before the new features and pricing were available. Good news was my P85 priced out around $7,000 cheaper. Bad news was no parking sensors (I even called to see if I could add on pre-production, but the only option offered was to reconfigure under the new pricing structure).

- - - Updated - - -

4 inches of clearance on STANDARD mode, last time I checked.

wow, that's lower than expected. Looks like I'll tell them to never mind re the curb. I'll just need to be careful pulling into the space. I never had a problem with my Porsche 911, but the front of the P85 is longer and higher.

The Model S nose is pretty low, but is actually higher off the ground than my former Cadillac CTS was (and it didn't have front parking sensors either). I got lots of practice, that carried over to the Model S, around NOT driving on to or over parking curbs. I always try to stop short of the curb, or, more commonly, back in and use the camera to stop just short of the curb.

The Model S nose is pretty low, but is actually higher off the ground than my former Cadillac CTS was (and it didn't have front parking sensors either). I got lots of practice, that carried over to the Model S, around NOT driving on to or over parking curbs. I always try to stop short of the curb, or, more commonly, back in and use the camera to stop just short of the curb.

i didn't think about the option to back in, as never had a rear camera before. That may actually be the best option, as I do not have vehicles very close to me on either side. If I had a "head slap" animated GIF I'd insert it here!