Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 not much faster than S85???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Thank you for all the replies. I'm convinced that I must not have pushed the car enough because when I test drove the P85 it was night and there was more traffic.

We plan on keeping the P85D in normal mode (at least for when my wife drives). I was concerned that even in normal mode it might be too fast for her (coming from an Audi TTS). I think she'll be okay though.

Thanks again!

Good luck with your purchase! I'd just add that as with any car, even more so with an electric, it doesn't matter if it's a P85D - as long as you don't push it hard it drives nicely and quietly. The go-pedal is not binary (on-off) but analog, you push down as far and as fast as you want.

I'd just add that as with any car, even more so with an electric, it doesn't matter if it's a P85D - as long as you don't push it hard it drives nicely and quietly. The go-pedal is not binary (on-off) but analog, you push down as far and as fast as you want.

Which reminds me of the quip of a poster on the McLaren forum in response to a complaint about the new model year car having 25 more HP: "If you want more horsepower, just use the last 15% of the throttle pedal travel".

Ha ha! They are all fast. I did my first test drive in a S85. Many expletives threw out of my mouth upon freeway acceleration. But then i test drove the P85+. Expletives + Unbelievable experience. I ordered the S85 at first. Within the couple of weeks we had to upgrade, I changed to a P85+. Just remembering that difference in the test drives! So I now own the P85+ and couldn't be more happy!

I got to drive both the S85 and the P85 back to back. The P85 definitely felt slightly faster. I decided to order the P85 but then they cancelled the P85 model and only have the P85D option. I couldn't sell the wife on the additional 20K more price tag even though it would be such an awesome car. I had to down grade to the S85 but I'll still be happy with it when I get it.

The P85 is decidedly faster than an S85. We test drove an S85 and were thoroughly not impressed with the acceleration as it accelerated like any other premium car over $60K.

I dunno, nearly every other premium car over $60k these days will have to take time to downshift and come up to boost in order to get moving after you put the pedal down.

I found that the P85 is far noisier to drive than the S85...S85 diving is mostly silent...P85 driving is laced with loud screeching sounds from the passenger side front..."slow down" / "watch out for that car" / "ya know the speed limit here is 60!" / ...:wink:

I am willing to bet that the P85D will be even louder...

It's substantially faster. This table was published at some point long ago with the various times, and I find it interesting and repost it now and again. Most of the improvement is before 30MPH (25% faster), but even after that it's averaging about 10% faster up through normal highway speeds. That should be easily noticeable.

0-30 times for various Model S configurations ? | Forums | Tesla Motors

SOC has a pretty big impact, though, so that could possibly account for what you observed.

I found that the P85 is far noisier to drive than the S85...S85 diving is mostly silent...P85 driving is laced with loud screeching sounds from the passenger side front..."slow down" / "watch out for that car" / "ya know the speed limit here is 60!" / ...:wink:

I am willing to bet that the P85D will be even louder...

LOL !

Knowing my wife, if I went from my P85 to a P85D (which would be AWESOME in Montreal, but I really need the frunk space - 4 kids), I would have a second (loud) "autopilot", and a variant of speed & lane assist where my right thigh periodically gets grabbed with significant force.

No need for steering wheel rumble when the entire cabin is subject to high-frequency harmonics...

:wink:

Still working on getting an X accepted by my wife though.

And for the OP, as noted by others I also thought that the S85 loaners I drove felt somewhat "sluggish" from a stop, but you still leave most everything behind without trying too hard. The P is FUN though, can only imagine a P85D...