Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 or P85D in Used Inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what happened, I haven’t seen a P85D on Tesla.com used inventory in weeks. They’ve had numerous available for a long time. You think they’re just hiding them until end of Q3?

Also the prices in general have gone way up to unreasonable amounts. It’s crazy how their used cars were worth significantly “less” 2 years ago if you look at some past sale prices on ev-CPO.

At no point during at least the last 18 months has the number fluctuated predictably based on quarter-end. Some here think they can predict the future and they're still working for a living so that should tell you all you need to know. Anyone who says they're withholding used inventory to help quarterly #'s is making stuff up to seem like they know something we don't since all of the evidence we have available disproves this theory.

Tesla's "fix" to the used car debacle was to eliminate the term "CPO" and then get out of it almost entirely. They low-ball trades to avoid getting them and for the people still willing to take a massive hit on their trade value they'll figure out a way to move it and remain profitable by using the least amount of resources to do so. This downward trend has been obvious all of 2019 since Elon's announcement and yet people still think it's a quarterly P&L game. It's clearly not at this point and those of us with Model S that will some day be for sale benefit from the dwindling of available used cars from Tesla.

The next used uptick we'll see is available Model 3 cars and once that happens the market will be flooded and the value will plummet on 3's due to how many they made/sold. Mark my words, the Tesla Model 3 will be the Dodge Neon of the 2020's where there's tons of them used and they won't be able to give them away. Early adopters who paid nearly $70k will be awfully sorry in the years to come.

At no point during at least the last 18 months has the number fluctuated predictably based on quarter-end. Some here think they can predict the future and they're still working for a living so that should tell you all you need to know. Anyone who says they're withholding used inventory to help quarterly #'s is making stuff up to seem like they know something we don't since all of the evidence we have available disproves this theory.

Tesla's "fix" to the used car debacle was to eliminate the term "CPO" and then get out of it almost entirely. They low-ball trades to avoid getting them and for the people still willing to take a massive hit on their trade value they'll figure out a way to move it and remain profitable by using the least amount of resources to do so. This downward trend has been obvious all of 2019 since Elon's announcement and yet people still think it's a quarterly P&L game. It's clearly not at this point and those of us with Model S that will some day be for sale benefit from the dwindling of available used cars from Tesla.

The next used uptick we'll see is available Model 3 cars and once that happens the market will be flooded and the value will plummet on 3's due to how many they made/sold. Mark my words, the Tesla Model 3 will be the Dodge Neon of the 2020's where there's tons of them used and they won't be able to give them away. Early adopters who paid nearly $70k will be awfully sorry in the years to come.

100% agree. Try posting that in the Model 3 forum though ;)

Reactions: Green_Light
There is chatter about Tesla 'de-rating' their resale cars. For example: 75D's listed as 70D.. P85D listed as 85D.
I can only assume this is due to the recent legal issues they have had with range and performance listings on their used cars (or this part of the company is mismanaged and uninformed - both options are plausible)

For example: look at this car listed as an 85D for $54k

2015 Model S | Tesla

It is actually a p85d - look at the pics.

My conclusion - the only p85d's that will be listed will be actual p90d's... but, if you do your homework, you can find a car like the one above for a great deal

2015 Model S | Tesla
2015 Model S85D
81,164 miles

• compositor

• 4.2 sec

0-60 mph

• 155 mph

Top Speed

• 270 mi

Range (EPA*)
Key Features
  • Autopilot with convenience features
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Liftgate
  • GPS Enabled Homelink
Design
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • Black Next Generation Seats
  • 19" Wheels
  • Body Color Roof
  • Matte Obeche Wood Décor
  • Black Headliner
*Figures based on testing new vehicles to EPA standards. Vehicle range may change depending on battery age and condition, vehicle configuration, driving style, environmental and climate change.

$46,100 $662/mo

There is chatter about Tesla 'de-rating' their resale cars. For example: 75D's listed as 70D.. P85D listed as 85D.
I can only assume this is due to the recent legal issues they have had with range and performance listings on their used cars (or this part of the company is mismanaged and uninformed - both options are plausible)

For example: look at this car listed as an 85D for $54k

2015 Model S | Tesla

It is actually a p85d - look at the pics.

My conclusion - the only p85d's that will be listed will be actual p90d's... but, if you do your homework, you can find a car like the one above for a great deal

I think you're right about the 'de-rating' the batteries size for cars that can be kWh software-limited, but I seriously doubt that Tesla would actually 'de-rate' P85Ds to 85Ds. There hasn't been the performance issue with those as they have had with the corked vs. uncorked 75Ds which is a real issue. And all the option codes for those cars still indicate they are fully performance vehicles.

I currently see nine P85Ds listed as 85Ds, and one P85 listed as an 85. I think this is more a case of just bad inventory data, and a serious case of Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

This has happened many times before with the inventory data just being wrong.

Once they catch this data error, I suspect to see those cars relisted properly as P cars.

Reactions: DanCar
I think you're right about the 'de-rating' the batteries size for cars that can be kWh software-limited, but I seriously doubt that Tesla would actually 'de-rate' P85Ds to 85Ds. There hasn't been the performance issue with those as they have had with the corked vs. uncorked 75Ds which is a real issue. And all the option codes for those cars still indicate they are fully performance vehicles.

I currently see nine P85Ds listed as 85Ds, and one P85 listed as an 85. I think this is more a case of just bad inventory data, and a serious case of Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

This has happened many times before with the inventory data just being wrong.

Once they catch this data error, I suspect to see those cars relisted properly as P cars.
I think the inventory data is b0rked.
TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker shows stats on firmware and model. Lots of P85D cars showing with AP2.5...

It's interesting that the both the displays and the badges on these "downgraded" cars still read P85D. Has anyone contacted Tesla about purchasing one of these and seeing if the truth lies in the badging or the website?

I also have been shopping for a P85D and was wondering why there haven't been any on the site for weeks.

I have one of the early $60K model 3’s with FSD, as well as a 2014 P85DL. A 50% hit on resale value on the model 3 is about $30K. On the Model S, the original owner took a 73% hit when he sold it to me ($102,000 price drop from new). That’s a lot of money gone....

My P85D had an initial MSRP of $135K. I bought it used from Tesla for $70K. If I sold it today I would get $50-55K.

That is an outrageous drop in less than 4 years

My P85D had an initial MSRP of $135K. I bought it used from Tesla for $70K. If I sold it today I would get $50-55K.

That is an outrageous drop in less than 4 years

Indeed, I'd be salty if I shelled out MSRP only to see Tesla release a superior car for significantly less money a few years down the road. A typical depreciation curve may account for a manufacturer making improvements to the car and raising the price slightly. They don't account for a new model being released for 25% less. A new P100D is only $100k and it's faster with more range and an host of other improvements.

I also don't think the market has completely adjusted for the change in demand for the model 3. While I really like the S, a brand new car (M3P) with most of the capabilities of the P85D (and a few that the S doesn't offer) is available for around the same price. It makes for a tough decision.