TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85+ owners, are you disappointed in P85D steering?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by 403portside, Dec 28, 2014.

1. 403portside

403portside Member

I keep reading reports that the P85D is lighter than 'sport' in the P85/+. Seems disappointing.

Any of you who moved to the P85D from the P85+ very unhappy with the steering? Does it get somewhat heavier at speed?

2. Kbsilver

Kbsilver Member

I'm not an owner (yet) nor have I driven a D model. But currently being in the BMW family I am very tuned into steering feel. Is it possible that the steering feel/weight selection has been removed because at some settings the torque steer was becoming evident? And is the steering selection removed ONLY for a D, or is it now all models?

3. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

I'm not the least bit disappointed. But then again I left my P85+ in "Normal" (middle) steering mode. I'm not a big fan of artificially "tight" steering that only makes it harder to turn the wheel without any corresponding increase in road feel. And that's how I felt about the "Sport" steering mode in my P85+.

I find the P85D to be somewhere between Normal and Sport modes on the old P85+.

Mike

4. commasign

commasign Active Member

Coming from a P85 usually set to "normal" steering, I think the P85D steering feels fine. No complaints. Even if comfort and sport modes were to become available I would leave it set to default.

5. 403portside

403portside Member

Thanks. Really looking for people who use sport on the previous car to give their feedback.

6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Coming from a P85 of two years on "Sport" steering, I don't find the P85D steering weight to be a problem. So much has changed in the suspension setup, drive geometry, weigh distribution, and tires that steering weight is the least noteworthy change. Overall, I find the P85D to more nimble. Feels like a much smaller, sportier car.

7. 403portside

403portside Member

Great to know. Thank you sir.

8. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I don't exactly qualify because I didn't own a P85, but I drove one pretty hard and I think the P85D steering response is superior to the P85 in sport mode. I think sport mode was the best of the options in the P85, but it still badly understeered and felt more floaty than the D, despite a heavier steering response. I'd say that the changes in the geometry reduced the need for the artificially heavy sport mode. There is definitely some torque steer/understeer coming off the apex of hard corners on the P85D, but I think it is clearly more responsive and nimble than the P85 was.

9. 403portside

403portside Member

Nice description. Thanks.

10. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I've been driving my P85+ in sport mode for 1.5 years. Due to the weather I haven't had a chance to push my D in the turns yet, but at low speeds it feels like normal, which I don't like. I don't however notice any difference at highway speeds. After a couple of days it's bothering me less, but I still prefer the old setup.

11. 403portside

403portside Member

So I finally took delivery and I must say I really like the steering. Certainly feels lighter at lower speeds but the improvement in handling is simply amazing. Much better turn in, more 'authentic' feeling. And very nice natural heft at highway speeds. Was worried initially but it's great.

12. AMN

AMN Member

We put 22,000 miles on our P85+ in Sport Mode.
    P85D's steering feels a bit firmer than Normal in the old P85+ but softer than Sport. Really well dialed in, so I don't miss anything about the old car even a tiny bit. Actually, I do miss one thing - its range. :-D

13. svp6

svp6 Member

No complaints coming from a BMW 650. Steering feels great.