Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Premium Seat Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I managed to get a Premium Gen3 seat and was going to try and use one of the guides someone else posted for the NextGen seat retrofit but this won't be possible due to the newer style wiring/ connector. Also, the seat I purchased has the ventilated option as well so there will be even more wires to play around with. Right now I'm trying to think of a way to integrate everything without have access to the wiring diagrams though I do plan on contacting Tesla to see if they'll send me a copy... I'm 99% sure it's not going to happen lol

Hopefully this weekend I'll get some time to trace the wires from my current seat and the newer seat then make my own diagram from what I find. I would really love to make this work considering the Premium seats are significantly better than my gen1's.

I plan on documenting everything and taking pics along the way. If I can get everything to work I'll definitely create a detailed tutorial with lots of pics.

The Front Seat does have two small tears but if I can get everything working I'll be replacing the whole seat cover more than likely :) I was able to snag it off of eBay for under $200 so worst case I'll turn it into a garage or office chair :)

Black Connector (4pin).jpg
Front Seat Back.jpg
Front Seat Bottom.jpg
Front Seat DR.jpg
Memory Seat Module.jpg
White Connector (16pin) 2.jpg
White Connector (16pin).jpg
Yellow Connector (4pin) 2.jpg
Yellow Connector (4pin).jpg

Just spent about a week-and-a-half in the seat of our Model S covering about 4k miles across the southern midwest for the 4th of July holiday. The temps were nearly 100 with high humidity the entire time and I can't tell you how much I missed the ventilated seats from our 2011 Kia Optima. It amazes me that such a futuristic car jam-packed with whiz-bang features overlooked this SUPER useful option that something like a 2011 Kia had. If you can find a way to retro-fit a set of the newer seats with the ventilated option AND make it work via the OEM UI I'd be super interested in this modification path to be able to do myself.

• Informative
Reactions: jschimel and SweetP
So there's two versions of the gen 3 seats. One has the 24pin with connector as shown above and another with two similar connectors as the gen1 and next gen seats. As of right now there's no easy way to retrofit the Gen3 with the single white connector but the service center does have jumpers that will convert the two newer style connectors to the older ones. I'm now waiting to find some more seats that are compatible.... this part sucks the most for sure... I've been checking daily and no luck so far.

• Love
Reactions: Mjsais
Okay I just managed to get another set of premium seats with the different wiring harness. I'm currently waiting to get them shipped :) here are some pics from the seller.

They're not ventilated :( but the comfort compared to the first gen will be more than enough!

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-S-2018-front-seats.jpg
    Tesla-Model-S-2018-front-seats.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 590
  • received_945240712525692.jpeg
    received_945240712525692.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 566
  • received_1030949027238109.jpeg
    received_1030949027238109.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 547
Update!

Still waiting for the service center to get the adapters. They had them but they were sent back during the lapse of finding new seats again. (I should've just picked them up)

The seats I manage to get are from a 2017 with premium interior option. The driver seat was mangled up pretty good but I was able to use the white premium seat I had bought earlier for cannibalization :)

The only issue I can see is going to be the adapter for the harness. I'll more than likely need a wiring diagram to see where the wires for the gray connector go...

The passenger seat also has a memory module just like the driver seat so I'll need to get a firmware redeployment more than likely to get everything working.

The adjustable headrest is still up in the air because I'm not too sure if the firmware redeployment will automatically add the UI features. This will probably require the configuration to be reconfigured in Toolbox. (Pure speculation lol)

Here are some pics of the passenger seat new vs old. Also I'm playing around with reupholstering the tan pillars and once I get the technique down I'm going to tackle to headliner and ect... All the tan leather will be dyed pure white (I'm using a leather dye NOT spray can lol) and I might play around with the microsuede on other interior parts as well.

20191220_164718.jpg
mounting holes line up perfectly :)

Attachments

• 20191220_162951.jpg
    20191220_162951.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 519
  • 20191220_162956.jpg
    20191220_162956.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 509