Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ Rear Tire Wear at 7400k Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole thing to me was an immediate red flag. Having a performance based model that doesn't hold alignment, gets squirrelly under hard acceleration and tears through tires way too fast is a enthusiast's nightmare. Then to be told that until they get a long term fix, I am responsible for alignments and replacing tires is insane.

That is really weird that both of your Model S's had issues with going out of alignment. I've got >18,000km on the car now and wear across both sets of tire treads (winter/summer) is even. Hopefully it stays that way!

Wow that's the first I've heard of Tesla admitting the car doesn't hold alignment. FWIW I have 33k miles on mine now with original tires and I'm only halfway through the treads and no inside wear... I feel like I'm a loner here as it seems everyone else is having tire wear issues, even on 19s.
You are not alone. I have just over 7,500 miles on my Michelins and changed over to winter tires. Tread all around is good. I have never had it aligned. Will be putting the Michelins back on in the spring with 8/32 tread depth all around.
I feel for everyone with tire wear issues and there are numerous threads about this. As with most things in life, if you have a problem you discuss with others if they have had the same problem. If you do not have a problem you don't post or stand by the water cooler saying 'I don't have a problem with X, Y or Z'.
I have had a couple performance cars and I admit that there is more tire wear problems with the model S (especially 21' on the P+) than I would expect. But not everyone is seeing this extreme wear issue.

Last edited:
P85 w 21's?

P85 yes, but I put 19's on the car. The oem all season tires are down to 6/32 after 12,000km. They're wearing quickly but evenly so I have no complaints. (I have several hours of track time on them fwiw...)

It is not specific to S60, S85, P85, P85+, 19", 21", or +21". There are plenty of people burning through inside shoulder wear down to the cords on 19s , including at least one I personally know and he's got an S60. This is an alignment issue, period. Alignment can get out of whack (or it was aligned out of whack in the first place with bad machine specs) no matter which model or tire size you are using. It tends to get more pronounced on the 21s though, due to the larger wheel and stiffer sidewall, and the 21s will burn out sometimes as fast as 4500 miles whereas the people I know with the 19s that are burning through to the cords on the inside shoulder are more like 11-18k. (and clearly I've shown that its very possibly to get 50-60k miles on the 19s, which should be the "normal" wear rate for those).

It is not specific to S60, S85, P85, P85+, 19", 21", or +21". There are plenty of people burning through inside shoulder wear down to the cords on 19s , including at least one I personally know and he's got an S60. This is an alignment issue, period. Alignment can get out of whack (or it was aligned out of whack in the first place with bad machine specs) no matter which model or tire size you are using. It tends to get more pronounced on the 21s though, due to the larger wheel and stiffer sidewall, and the 21s will burn out sometimes as fast as 4500 miles whereas the people I know with the 19s that are burning through to the cords on the inside shoulder are more like 11-18k. (and clearly I've shown that its very possibly to get 50-60k miles on the 19s, which should be the "normal" wear rate for those).

I hope it's that simple, that would be a simple fix. the idea that something might be giving gradually from the intense torque for some of us worries me the most, that we might have to keep an eye on the alignment for a while as the car "breaks in"... a stress I don't need, I've got too kids to manage already.

Update: Took my car in today and got a call back a few hours later that they will correct the alignment and give me two new rear tires at no cost. As hoped they were very easy to deal with and took care of all my concerns. Picking up call tomorrow. One more reason to love being a Tesla owner.
BTW not sure if everyone knows this, but they align your car according to which set of wheels (19"/21") you have on your car.

Update: Took my car in today and got a call back a few hours later that they will correct the alignment and give me two new rear tires at no cost. As hoped they were very easy to deal with and took care of all my concerns. Picking up call tomorrow. One more reason to love being a Tesla owner.
BTW not sure if everyone knows this, but they align your car according to which set of wheels (19"/21") you have on your car.

this is great news, they did right by you!

It has been some time since there have been complaints about excessive early tire wear. Lola/Jerry and others....does this mean TM has solved the alignment issues on new builds?

It has been some time since there have been complaints about excessive early tire wear. Lola/Jerry and others....does this mean TM has solved the alignment issues on new builds?

Tesla has a set of eccentric bolts that allow for camber adjustment in the rear. Mine is now less than two degrees, and the tires are also no longer toed out. It should increase the tire life by a great deal depending upon how far out they were. It appeared that there were several problems: Non-adjustable camber, toe-out on some rear tires, and incorrect specs in some alignment machines. Having less camber means that any misalignment isn't going to be quite as dramatic, although it will still shorten tire life.