Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 running 200 miles daily!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A month ago or so i posted a thread asking for advice on purchasing a MS 85 for commuting 100 miles (one way; 200 per day total). I got some advice and i have an update for you guys!! I'm now the proud driver of a 2013 P85 MS. I got an amazing deal on it and could not pass up!

Today was my second day driving my 200-mile trip. I drive to work about 100 miles and then back home another 100 miles. Range anxiety killed me on my first day, yesterday. :eek::eek::eek:

Congrats....tips to maximize your range in addition to "going easy on the go pedal".
  1. Turn on Range Mode
  2. Keep windows rolled up
  3. Keep AC on lowest fan speed you're comfortable with if you need it
  4. Use Cruise as much as possible. Since its 2013 you don't have TACC so be sure to take over and disengage in traffic
  5. Keep your speed below 80mph, thats the tipping point that really drains battery. If you can manage 65-70mph thats ideal

Congrats....tips to maximize your range in addition to "going easy on the go pedal".
  1. Turn on Range Mode
  4. Use Cruise as much as possible. Since its 2013 you don't have TACC so be sure to take over and disengage in traffic
  5. Keep your speed below 80mph, thats the tipping point that really drains battery. If you can manage 65-70mph thats ideal
+ tire pressure at recommended level (45PSI for standard tires - not sure for Ps).
+ Perhaps a bad suggestion, but going from 21in wheels to 19in should give better range (5% I believe?). Warning: P-owners will hate this suggestion.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Congrats--same car I have. When I first got it, I used to do 220 mile commutes--no Superchargers at the time.

no way! how the heck did you manage this?! daily?!

congrats. What is the rated range you see on the dash?
I get better consumption on stop & go traffic, than on high speed commute. Be easy on the go pedal on your P and it should help you increase range.

thank you!! yes i am finding this out quickly! ive been taking it easy on the pedal but its hard to hold back!

My 2013 S85 registers 400km (248 mi)...i get nowhere near that with my city driving as I'm always hard on the peddle...I'm guessing the P model is even more tempting :)

haha i get where you're coming from. at 90% im registering 231 miles. though i end up getting about 200 :( and this has been without stepping on it.

My P85 used to consume 500wh/mile initially when I got it. Hard to say why, but I heard it's a common problem with the P models... It came down after a few months of ownership.

the car i got is used so it might be broken in already. havnt gotten used to the wh/mile yet though. getting there. :)

the P85 realistically gets me around 200(270 rated) miles driving it normally. not sure how you would even get the rated 265 or even 240+ would be nice...

yesss! totally agree. at 90% i get 231 miles but i noticed i realistically get about 200. i must admit this made me sad. :(
maybe an update could help with this?

1. Turn on Range Mode

thank you! and Thanks for the tips!!!! will keep these in mind for sure.

+ tire pressure at recommended level (45PSI for standard tires - not sure for Ps).
+ Perhaps a bad suggestion, but going from 21in wheels to 19in should give better range (5% I believe?). Warning: P-owners will hate this suggestion.

lol thanks for the tip! i'm currently on 19's i belive but im trying to jump over to some 21 turbines :)

Find a way to charge at your commuting destination, or a supercharger along the way before winter. Even California winters can reduce range (especially if parking outdoors with wind exposure).

i do have chargers at my work. its about a buck to charge per hour and it gives me about 18 miles an hour. which is decent and enough to at least get me back home until i can supercharge. if it was free, it would be much nicer though lol. i also have a super cahrger along the way home in gilroy, ca but my commute is already 2 hours. i dont want to add more to it. i already dont get home until 9 lol.

As you do it more you'll need less and less reserve. I've got my commute pretty well nailed down to the point where I'm happy arriving with 1% since i know exactly how much it takes to get there whereas on longer trips I typically keep 25-30% reserve.

Also dropping your speed 5 MPH makes a surprisingly big difference in range.

Last edited:
  • Informative
i do have chargers at my work. its about a buck to charge per hour and it gives me about 18 miles an hour. which is decent and enough to at least get me back home until i can supercharge. if it was free, it would be much nicer though lol. i also have a super cahrger along the way home in gilroy, ca but my commute is already 2 hours. i dont want to add more to it. i already dont get home until 9 lol.
Sound like you're set in case of range anxiety. At $1 per hour 18 miles per hour charging, how does that compare to home charging costs? It sounds quiet reasonable ~$0.15 per KWh.

Ahhh AP saves a lot on your energy usage.
And on your nerves. For me it's impossible to drive 115 km/h on highway, (because before owning Tesla i usualy did 140-170km/h), but with AP on i'm in my "zen garden" when i'm not the one driving 110-120km/h ;)
In sommer time i can do 370-400km on my S85. In winter 250-300km (with AP1 on and without range mode).
You'll learn along the way. For first two months, 250km was max range i could get, as i was trying to outrun all BMW, Audi and MB on highway, but i learned that with electric car "slower is faster" :)

Congratulations!

Tip: The higher instant torque will wear the tires faster than usual. Go easy on the acceleration. Goodyear is supposedly coming out with new compounds to help provide longer use on EVs to compensate for the instant torque. Just saying you driving it 200 miles daily, so, I would probably anticipate new tires every 2-3 months.

the car i got is used so it might be broken in already. havnt gotten used to the wh/mile yet though. getting there. :)

I don't think the extra whm is the car's break-in, it's the driver - sounds like you've already learned restraint.... something I still don't have a lot of.

21" will definitely reduce range, I do better on 19s but like the 21 look much more.

29060334_1488692731256924_6784524510828345407_o.jpg
29258428_1478551572271040_4979280376527585280_o.jpg
21" reduce range (more).

For what those cost I've considered going with some high quality aftermarket 20's to try to get the best of both worlds. with a bit more unique look. I already have gone to the wrong car at the supercharger and then wondered why my roof is blue all of a sudden. Apparently Model X 20's fit as well.

Last edited:
  1. Turn on Range Mode

Ahhh AP saves a lot on your energy usage.
And on your nerves. For me it's impossible to drive 115 km/h on highway, (because before owning Tesla i usualy did 140-170km/h), but with AP on i'm in my "zen garden" when i'm not the one driving 110-120km/h ;)
In sommer time i can do 370-400km on my S85. In winter 250-300km (with AP1 on and without range mode).
You'll learn along the way. For first two months, 250km was max range i could get, as i was trying to outrun all BMW, Audi and MB on highway, but i learned that with electric car "slower is faster" :)

I don't think the extra whm is the car's break-in, it's the driver - sounds like you've already learned restraint.... something I still don't have a lot of.

21" will definitely reduce range, I do better on 19s but like the 21 look much more.

Range mode also stops the air suspension from going up and down, if you have that option.

As far as 19" vs. 21" wheels size, my P85D came with 21's and I immediately had them removed for 19" slipstreams. As they were both silver I can barely notice the difference in the "look", and as we have some long drives on weekends reducing the possibility of some lengthy less than supercharger powered charging is much more important than being one inch taller on the road. There are some refurbished 19's available in black and grey if colour is a preference.

I nail the accelerator and the Goodyear stick well enough to get plenty of g-forced enjoyment. Does traction control limit the 0-60 time by a tenth or two? perhaps, but like anybody without a timing gun it is really going to notice. Under cornering there is no body roll: a little squeal if cornering super hard, but unless someone is taking this car to the track on weekends there is no point in soft 21's IMO.

Here is the other half of the reason I went with the 19's:

By a little comparison on Tirerack:
245/35/21 Michelin Pilot Sport (non-Tesla) are $297; Hancook Ventus are $197
245/45/19 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ are $217 (different tire than the 21's but closest type)
Hancook Ventus 19's are $129 (special closeout price!)

For OEM ; The stock Michelins Pilot Sport for the 21's are $357 each, while the stock Michelin for the 19's are $268
or the stock Contientals for 21's are $333 or $233 ? while the stock 19 Goodyears are only $140

Lots of options for tires, but I assume I am going to save about $300-$400 on tire changes, and the 19's will have to be changed a lot less often than the 21's. A "look" can cost plenty of money. I don't see the wheels when I am driving Abominable. :)

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Advice in order of importance:
1. Change wheels to 19" this will give you a significant bump in real range, possible 8-10% or 20-25 miles
2. Drive the speed limit. Previous poster mentions stay below 80mph, I think you need to stay below 70mph, I see pretty big increases in consumption at 70 vs 65 in my S90D
3. Find a spot to plugin at your destination even if it's just a regular wall outlet, it will help especially in colder temps. 3 Mph * 8 = An additional 24 miles of range you could get while at work on a standard outlet