Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ Sportiest Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I own a 2013 Model S P85+. I wanted it because it was the lightest and sportiest model. I know the D models are faster in a straight line, and there will be models in the future which are even faster.

Do you think with the discontinuation of the RWD Model S that the P85+ will earn enthusiast status and perhaps retain its value more?

My opinion is that it will be the most fun/sporty of the Model S but that it wont retain its value as much as the PXXD models but who knows.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Do you think with the discontinuation of the RWD Model S that the P85+ will earn enthusiast status and perhaps retain its value more?

resale value, maybe a little bit. But enthusiast value, totally!

I would just add that the early Pre-May 2015 P85Ds with the + suspension and AP1 are the best Teslas made. I owned a P85+ for three years and traded up to a P85D(+), and it's the only configuration I'd buy again. What that means is I'm holding onto this car until such point I can get a bigger battery upgrade, either through Tesla, or "elsewhere" after the 8 year warranty expires.

It's a true shame that Tesla abandoned the Performance Plus suspension. I'm not sure anyone knows why. They could certainly add it as a $10k option to the P100Ds and they'd make a killing.

Hey Hank, I always thought the wider rear tires meant the 'plus' suspension was included? What's the difference between P85D(+) suspension and P100D suspension?

P.S. I tried to search!!

resale value, maybe a little bit. But enthusiast value, totally!

I would just add that the early Pre-May 2015 P85Ds with the + suspension and AP1 are the best Teslas made. I owned a P85+ for three years and traded up to a P85D(+), and it's the only configuration I'd buy again. What that means is I'm holding onto this car until such point I can get a bigger battery upgrade, either through Tesla, or "elsewhere" after the 8 year warranty expires.

It's a true shame that Tesla abandoned the Performance Plus suspension. I'm not sure anyone knows why. They could certainly add it as a $10k option to the P100Ds and they'd make a killing.

Nope! While the P85+ did come with the wider rear tires, as do some other models (P100D for example, but not always).. does not mean it has the Perf + suspension.

The only cars with that are P85+ and pre-May 2015 P85Ds. And even some of those P85D(+) cars came with 19" rims! (There are a few exceptions of people who modded their non plus cars after the fact, I'm not counting those).

Here's a long thread I started with lots of good details about the Performance Plus suspension: Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

I know it's not as fast but I like that RWD push from the back. Also, having less weight in front probably helps it with steering response and nimble handling. I hear the dual motors whine more as well.

I'd love to get the 0-60 of the Ludicrous models and still retain its RWD status.

I saw that there was a hacker doing just such a thing. Would be very cool in future if Tesla offered a bigger battery pack and a performance upgrade for older models. I have a feeling they wont but who knows!

I'm currently driving a standard 85 loaner and there's a big difference for sure. I actually don't like the new model as much.. The dash and safety stuff is actually just annoying to me. I don't even want AP. I just kind of want my car with more power :D I feel like it's 80hp from just right.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

I tie "sporty" with handling and my early P85DL with P+ damping definitely outperforms my old P85+. Gone is the plowing through corners; its been replaced with the fronts nicely pulling the nose around. It also exits so fricking hard :)

Sure, it weighs more but when you are talking over two tons, what's a few pounds between friends?

I totally agree! My March '15 P85DL with the hard suspension and 21" wheels has nearly undectable body roll, dive and squat. Yes, it's a little rough over bumps, but I absolutely love it. That car makes it feels like you can instantaneously beam yourself in and out of tight spots in traffic. I wouldn't accept an even trade for a new P100D with a softer suspension (of course mine is blessed with AP1 :)).

Love mine. Owned a 2013 early build P85 moved up to the P85+ and wife has new 90D.

Nothing better except a few early P85DL+ as stated above. Both will end up being collectibles then the P100D would be the next one collectors would want. The X might the fourth if minivans are collectibles.

I will say the early P85Ds rode even more firmly than the P85+. I had an early P85D loaner while my P85+ was in the shop and it was immediately noticeable. I can actually see why some would like it while others might consider it too firm. Indeed, I would guess that's why they discontinued it as they probably went a little too far into the performance zone for the average "big sedan" buyer. Even though some days I do wish my P85+ was a bit softer, most of the time I think it walks a great line between sport and comfort (call it a 70/30 ratio).

As to value...maybe a little, but likely only as compared to their other RWD brethren.

Hi, I own a 2013 Model S P85+. I wanted it because it was the lightest and sportiest model. I know the D models are faster in a straight line, and there will be models in the future which are even faster.

My opinion is that it will be the most fun/sporty of the Model S but that it wont retain its value as much as the PXXD models but who knows.
If you want a parallel, see what happened to RWD Porsche 911's when AWD Turbo came out.

For my personal taste, I happen to have the + suspension P85D and love the handling (on 19's too). I drove a few non+ air loaners and they seemed so much softer. We also have a coil MS and the + air is very noticeably firmer.

There's something about the push of RWD with the air suspension and upgraded suspension package that just seems to be the right fit. It might not be the fastest but I think it's the most fun of all Teslas. That is until the new roadster comes out, if ever!

There's something about the push of RWD

agreed - except that I tended to get wheel spin pretty much all time time on anything less than bone-dry roads; this was accompanied by a very-unsporting squirming motion from the rear. Yes, it was better-controlled than the P85, but still noticeable - and completely absent in my P90DL, which also lacks wheel spin most of the time.

My personal view is that the RWD performance cars were examples of "over-egging" the pudding: too much power for the chassis to handle - even with the P85+ mods (which ruined the ride!). I am sure that Jaguar would have done a better job of it: they've taken the ride/performance crown from BMW these days and manage to get sublime steering and handling without the Germanic habit of destroying any compliance in the suspension.

Some may enjoy breaking loose, sliding or drifting a high-torque RWD car on the street, but I'm frankly not a good enough driver (I've had less than a dozen track days). I used to have a mid-'00's Renntech turbo V12 SL600 where you needed to be damn sure you were pointed straight before punching it, and even so it would fishtail a little (no limited slip diff). This was sometimes fun but meant full grunt could only be rarely used. In days of yore I did occasionally slide my lower powered mid-90s SL500, which was fun all but a couple times, but those couple were foolish (but repairable) single-car crashes overcooking sharp turns. That history, by the way, is the reason I've always used the moniker 'sillydriver' on car forums!

My P85DL+ on the other hand has been rock solid and enjoyable even in bogus maneuvers where I push it pretty hard (and I'm not going to push it any harder to find the limit). It even feels like it has a higher limit (although this probably can't be objectively true) than the Audi R8 I recently traded, and the Porsche 996 my wife had over a decade ago.

Last edited: