TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

P85+ Sportiest Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tallypwner, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tallypwner

tallypwner Member

Hi, I own a 2013 Model S P85+. I wanted it because it was the lightest and sportiest model. I know the D models are faster in a straight line, and there will be models in the future which are even faster.

Do you think with the discontinuation of the RWD Model S that the P85+ will earn enthusiast status and perhaps retain its value more?

My opinion is that it will be the most fun/sporty of the Model S but that it wont retain its value as much as the PXXD models but who knows.

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

resale value, maybe a little bit. But enthusiast value, totally!

I would just add that the early Pre-May 2015 P85Ds with the + suspension and AP1 are the best Teslas made. I owned a P85+ for three years and traded up to a P85D(+), and it's the only configuration I'd buy again. What that means is I'm holding onto this car until such point I can get a bigger battery upgrade, either through Tesla, or "elsewhere" after the 8 year warranty expires.

It's a true shame that Tesla abandoned the Performance Plus suspension. I'm not sure anyone knows why. They could certainly add it as a $10k option to the P100Ds and they'd make a killing.

• Like x 1
  3. PunchIT

PunchIT Member

Hey Hank, I always thought the wider rear tires meant the 'plus' suspension was included? What's the difference between P85D(+) suspension and P100D suspension?

P.S. I tried to search!!

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Nope! While the P85+ did come with the wider rear tires, as do some other models (P100D for example, but not always).. does not mean it has the Perf + suspension.

The only cars with that are P85+ and pre-May 2015 P85Ds. And even some of those P85D(+) cars came with 19" rims! (There are a few exceptions of people who modded their non plus cars after the fact, I'm not counting those).

Here's a long thread I started with lots of good details about the Performance Plus suspension: Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I tie "sporty" with handling and my early P85DL with P+ damping definitely outperforms my old P85+. Gone is the plowing through corners; its been replaced with the fronts nicely pulling the nose around. It also exits so fricking hard :)

Sure, it weighs more but when you are talking over two tons, what's a few pounds between friends?

• Like x 1
  6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Just wanted to add, that that P100D, and every other non + car has the same mushy, boat handling of a 70's era Cadillac.

Ok, not that bad, but close, IMHO.

7. tallypwner

tallypwner Member

I know it's not as fast but I like that RWD push from the back. Also, having less weight in front probably helps it with steering response and nimble handling. I hear the dual motors whine more as well.

I'd love to get the 0-60 of the Ludicrous models and still retain its RWD status.

I saw that there was a hacker doing just such a thing. Would be very cool in future if Tesla offered a bigger battery pack and a performance upgrade for older models. I have a feeling they wont but who knows!

I'm currently driving a standard 85 loaner and there's a big difference for sure. I actually don't like the new model as much.. The dash and safety stuff is actually just annoying to me. I don't even want AP. I just kind of want my car with more power :D I feel like it's 80hp from just right.

• Like x 1