TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85+ suspension, is it any harder?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Gfoxsteve, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Gfoxsteve

Gfoxsteve Member

Is there any difference in the suspension hardness between the models, I have a p85+ on test drive and the smart suspension seems harder than a standard 85 I've driven before.

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

Yes, quite a bit stiffer than a regular 85. But nowhere near as stiff as a March production P85D which is the only month with the really really thick anti sway bars not found after or before. Talk about luck of the draw. Anyone want to swap me sway bars :)

3. DougH

DougH Active Member

It's the best..so much fun to drive.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

It is firmer. Doesn't bother me at all and I don't find it to be stiff or jarring at all. But I like a firm ride.

5. jpet

jpet Jan P.

Did you measure them? Mine are 26mm front and 21mm rear.

6. Skateboardgolf

I might be an outlier, but all Teslas feel the same to me as far as stiffness and bumps go, when driving in a straight line. The difference is that in turns, an 85/85D feels more "wallowy" compared to a P85+. Try for yourself - drive 65mph on a highway, and do a hard lane change. The 85/85D, once in the destination lane, will squirm, or bounce once or twice, then settle. The P85+ will stay level, and planted.

If you drive normally, you won't really notice much of a difference. That is, to appreciate an M5, you must drive it hard enough so a 528i would struggle.

Then again, I'm the biggest P85+ nut there is, so take what you will.

7. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Air springs are the same. Bars and shock valving (damping) is different. See lolachampcar modifications thread for shock dyno comparison of P85 and P85+ dampers. Most all the difference is in the fronts which is part of the reason the + turns in better.

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

9. Tony Lin

Tony Lin Member

has anyone of you retrofitted to 85 or 85D? or you know any aftermarket parts for improvement?

10. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I looked into re-valving the dampers very early on and found they were not "rebuildable". No one had spent the money to have custom valved units produced so there were no aftermarket options. Of course, this was three years ago and I have not canvased the market since.

11. green1

green1 Active Member

If you find the P85+ too "hard" a ride, there's an easy solution, switch to 19" wheels. I was shocked how rough the 21s were when I took my winter wheels off last week!

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm doing that tomorrow... it will be interesting to see the difference again with the 21" wheels. Can't wait!

13. Tony Lin

Tony Lin Member

ok thx