Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ tire question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I currently have the stock staggered setup with 265's in the rear in 245's in the front.

Can I put 245's on the rear rim without buying another rim ? When I check at tirerack I don't even get that choice when selecting my model car. Also if I can can I the rotate them as well ?

Both of those are basically "unsupported" configurations. You can try to put on a 245 tire on the 9" rim, but that's just outside the specs of those tires. You can put 9" rims on the front, and I think one person has done that, but again, that is an unsupported configuration by Tesla Motors and they might even get a little snippy about it if you have any warranty issues with the front suspension or handling.

What I suggest (and what I did) was pick up two 8.5" rims to match the front, and then put on 245s on all four corners, so now I can also rotate the tires. The only difference is 20mm of width in the rear tires, and I've noticed absolutely zero difference in handling, but now I can buy less expensive tires (Hankook Ventus V12 evo2) as well as much more selection in tires if I choose to change it up (I don't).

I traded my 21x9" rims with another forum member for 2 21x8.5" rims as an even trade. Maybe you can find a similar deal.

And if you watch ebay, you can get refurbished 21" tesla rims for less than $300. I bought one of these as a replacement and it's been great.

I am out of warranty so I don't worry about Tesla on this one. They seem to be very hardheaded in only supporting what they put on the vehicle OEM wise. When you say outside the spec of the tire do you mean that no one will install them for me ? My worry was that the 9" rim would scratch if installed in the front. Am I mistaken on this one.

Yes the reason I was asking was getting the Hankooks as well. Do you like them ?

Both of those are basically "unsupported" configurations. You can try to put on a 245 tire on the 9" rim, but that's just outside the specs of those tires. You can put 9" rims on the front, and I think one person has done that, but again, that is an unsupported configuration by Tesla Motors and they might even get a little snippy about it if you have any warranty issues with the front suspension or handling.

What I suggest (and what I did) was pick up two 8.5" rims to match the front, and then put on 245s on all four corners, so now I can also rotate the tires. The only difference is 20mm of width in the rear tires, and I've noticed absolutely zero difference in handling, but now I can buy less expensive tires (Hankook Ventus V12 evo2) as well as much more selection in tires if I choose to change it up (I don't).

I traded my 21x9" rims with another forum member for 2 21x8.5" rims as an even trade. Maybe you can find a similar deal.

And if you watch ebay, you can get refurbished 21" tesla rims for less than $300. I bought one of these as a replacement and it's been great.

Also I have talked to Tirerack and was told the the Hankook wouldn't meet Load specification for the vehicle (hard to believe)....

When you say outside the spec of the tire do you mean that no one will install them for me ? .

Outside of spec just meaning that if you look at the max width the 245 tires are rated for, it's 8.5" rims. I think you can physically mount them on 9" rims, but that will change the dynamics/geometry of the tire, but I'll let others who know more speak to this. And I'm sure you can find someone to mount the tires to the rims.

My worry was that the 9" rim would scratch if installed in the front. Am I mistaken on this one.

I can't speak to the scratching, but at least on other TMC member has done it and claimed no problem. I personally wouldn't do it unless TM said it was OK, but we know that will never happen.

Yes the reason I was asking was getting the Hankooks as well. Do you like them ?

Love them! Great tire so far. I also put Hankook Nobel S12s on 19" rims for the winter.

Also I have talked to Tirerack and was told the the Hankook wouldn't meet Load specification for the vehicle (hard to believe)....

I think they're being ultra conservative and limiting liability here. A lot of folks have the Hankook Ventus V12s on Model S.

Reactions: GJ79