TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P85 vs 85 with AP

Discussion in 'Model S' started by G0BLiN, Feb 10, 2017.

?

P85 vs 85 with AP?

1. P85

19.0%
  2. 85 AP

81.0%
  1. G0BLiN

G0BLiN New Member

Hi everyone,

I am about to buy my first Tesla I am going with a pre-owned car from Tesla.

The dilemma I am facing now is between two cars and I would like to know your opinion and real world experience with these cars.

The models in question as the title says are a P85 vs 85 with Auto Pilot 1.0

Here I have the specs
    P85 White 2013 50.000 km 66.000€
    85 Blue AP 1.0 75.000 km 64.900€

Both have 21" wheels panoramic roof

Regarding the usage for the car would be 80% city commuting and maybe 2 to 3 long (600km) trips a year

At the moment I own a moderate modified Mini Cooper S and a 5 series BMW touring, I do am a car guy and I value the extra performance of the P85 my question is it really worth losing the AP?

I am also worried that a classic Tesla without AP might be worth less in a future sale than a AP model since people will get more informed and less reluctant to the system specially in my country (Portugal) where Tesla is still kinda unknown.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

The P will cost more per month in auto insurance.. Place that into consideration. the 85D or RWD? I went with the D.

3. G0BLiN

G0BLiN New Member

It's the 85 no D

4. G0BLiN

G0BLiN New Member

In my case / country makes almost no difference in terms of ensurance ;)

5. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Well do you care about AP? Do you care about Performance? We can't make that call for you, only you can.

6. cab

cab Member

I went performance over AP. I've test driven AP and had it in loaners. For MY use case it would have been a bit of a waste since I don't sit in stop and go traffic or have a long commute. The performance I tend to use...a lot...heh, heh.

Let your use case decide vs. resale, etc.

7. Kenriko

Kenriko Member

Depends on if you like driving or not.. people who like driving will prefer the performance. People who just want to get Point A to B will prefer Autopilot.

I like Driving.. I got a P85.

8. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I think the plain old non-P cars have plenty of performance.

I would also consider the age of the car. Each year of Model S has another leap in reliability. The 2012/2013s are the worst, and the 2014s are better. An early AP car would at minimum be a late 2014 which would probably be more reliable than any 2013.

9. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

AP works extremely well where we live and neither of us would have a tesla without it after having it (AP) for the last 40,000 miles.

10. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I also like driving - have been to multiple driving schools, track days, BMWCCA and ZCCA member/chapter president. Owned all manner of sports cars from Integras to F cars.

But I would never, ever, ever buy any Tesla without Autopilot. The 85 has gobs of instant torque and the P 85 does not have a superior suspension (which is what actually matters for driving pleasure). The P 85 has a few more gobs of torque, no better handling and lacks autopilot. This is not a serious decision to make. If the comparison was a P85+ with no autopilot vs a 60 with autopilot then there might be some reason for analysis paralysis. But not in this comparo.

This.

11. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Not according to Consumer Reports reliability ratings:

2013 - Below Average
    2014 - Far Below Average
    2015 - Average

12. G0BLiN

G0BLiN New Member

Thank you all for help and feedback, that's the info I was looking for, Tesla community is indeed great as I thought it was ;)

I think I am going with the AP one :)

13. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I don't know how they came up with those overall scores when the individual categories were worse for the 2013 vs the 2014. The 2013 was lowest in 3 categories. The 2014 was lowest in 2 categories. Both have 11 categories at the highest.

Just checking Truedelta they show the 2014 worse than the 2013 too. Though Truedelta says they cut off the model year at Sept 30 which would make the late 2014s (dual drive) as 2015s in that survey. I don't know how CR counts the model years. Tesla did pretty much introduce a major change with the dual drive and AP hardware in late 2014 they probably quietly did some engineering improvements too.

14. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

CR pays no attention to production dates. They go strictly on the model year as identified by the manufacturer. They do direct survey's of the owners. When I was hunting for my CPO, it's one of the reasons I went for a 13 instead of a 14 given that I have no interest in AP.

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Some of it is based on how old the car is. They expect more problems for older cars, so if a car starts showing problems early on, it gets a bad overall rating even if its individual scores don't look that bad. I have seen this on other cars, not just Tesla. For example, the new Acura TLXs have been having transmission problems since the redesign. That threw their score down into the bottom for 2015s, since CR doesn't expect a 2015 to have any transmission problems. The drive units are Tesla's equivalent, so until they get that solved and the numbers get better, CR won't be kind to them.

16. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

The used P85D AP1 vs new 60D AP2 is an easier argument. P85D.

In your case, as much as I love the P cars, I wouldn't want to miss out on at least AP1. It works great for road trips and in bumper to bumper traffic. Plus, you'll get a little bit more range and will save some money on tires!