TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P85 vs 85D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by islandchick, Aug 11, 2018.

?

P85 or 85D

1. P85

20.8%
  2. 85D

62.5%
  3. +

4.2%
  4. Any Tesla is teh awsum

20.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. islandchick

islandchick Member

Hey, I am looking into used Teslas. I know the basic difference between P85 and 85D, the 2wd vs 4wd, but in practice, what are the differences? Preferences?

2. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

IMO the only benefit to a P85 vs 85D is if you get an old-school P85 with a full frunk.

3. glide

glide Member

Do you need AWD where you live? That goes a big way towards answering.

4. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

The P85 will be quieter than a dual-motor car. When I've driven P85D loaners, I was struck by the noticeable extra whine made by the front motor. But I'm told some people like it, and it makes them feel like they're in a rocket car from "The Jetsons," or something.

Driving characteristics are different. Especially if you drive on slick or winding roads, the all-wheel drive 85D will feel more stable and connected to the road. But some people like the feeling of being pushed forward by rear-wheel drive when they accelerate, like being strapped to the nosecone of a rocket ship. :)

And as nwdiver said, you get a lot more frunk storage in a P85 than in any model which came after it.

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Only the older ones. IIRC in ~2014 the frunks are all the same for RWD and AWD.

6. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

P is quieter. If you are not in snow and ice you have no 'need` for 4x4.

7. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

All P85s had the "classic" large frunk. You might be thinking of the P85D, and the 85 and 85D which came after the October 2014 'D' announcement.

• Informative x 1
  8. islandchick

islandchick Member

I do not need the dual motors where I currently live, but I thought I didn't need A/C when I lived in a cool climate, then moved to Hotlanta. So, situations change.
    Thanks for your input.
    More please. :D

9. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I've got a P85 and I've driven a P85D and a 85D as a loaner. The performance of the 85D is comparable to my P85.... The P85D was a whole other level. There is a little more noise from the front drive unit in the 85D. The biggest thing I'd miss with the 85D vs the P85 is the frunk space. I have ~2x as much space in my frunk vs the 85D. What I LOVE about the 'Ds' is how 'sticky' they are. I can break loose my rear wheels fairly easily.... it's almost impossible with a 'D'.

• Like x 2
  10. jacksdavim

jacksdavim Member

Also, keep in mind that all 85D’s will have AP1 hardware and some will have next gen seats which are a huge improvement over the original Tesla seats. Autopilot P85’s are rare and none have next gen seats. If these things are important to you then the 85D will be the way to go.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. SSedan

SSedan Member

I have a 2014 P85 42,xxx VIN has the big frunk and near Green Bay I was happy with the winter performance on the Primacy tires once I got used to winter and rwd again. Car satfor awhile before I bought so I think I had to wear off the outer oxidized layer of rubber too

12. islandchick

islandchick Member

Oh yeah, seats. Gah. So many options.

13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

85D is very efficient car and you will get good range and as another poster noted u at least can get AP

14. PoorPWR

PoorPWR New Member

I agree that the D model makes you feel more "glued to the road", especially in turns. I live in the mountains (Asheville area) and was having my 100D serviced (12,000 mile) and they gave me a loaner P85 for 24 hours. I definitely noticed that I had to slow down a bit more in the turns on windy backroads with the P85. The P85 was this black high gloss beauty and had great acceleration on the straightaways, but certainly the AWD is "grippier" on winding backroads. If 0-60 in 4.1 seconds is OK vs 3.? seconds, then I'd go with the D model, especially if the prices are within 5k of each other.

15. SSedan

SSedan Member

We're the tires and suspension mileage comparable?

16. RDoc

RDoc S85D

We've got an 85D and have driven P85's and both of us greatly prefer the 85D because of better road feel and handling. The P85 is faster, but IMHO it's not a big deal. There is some whine with the 85D, but it's not a big deal at all, normally we don't notice it.

Definitely get AP.

• Like x 2
  17. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I think the P is only faster if it's got 21s. With 19s I didn't notice that much of a difference. The P is just too traction limited without the 21s.

18. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

Very few P85 have AP. That alone is a gigantic difference.

19. SSedan

SSedan Member

Larger rims reduce sidewall flex which helps on cornering, straight line though sidewall is a good think
    Focus less on rim size and consider 19" are likely a performance TOURING tire and 21" likely a higher performance class.

20. islandchick

islandchick Member

In S Fla we are lucky the tires don't just melt off the rims. LOL, not LOL.