TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85+ vs P85D drive

Discussion in 'Model S' started by irvineboy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Has anyone driven the P85+ (RWD) and the P85D can comment about how the RWD with $6500 option compares to the AWD? Same, not even close on how it grips and handles, etc. I am not talking speed since you can't even compare the two. I have driven RWD all my life. Live in CA.

2. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

It all really depends how close to the limit you push the car. From my limited experience with the P85+, I would say that it likes to oversteer more than the P85D at their respective limits, and you will get tire slip or traction control engagement in the P85+ earlier that you would with the P85D.

Otherwise, in "normal" driving, the only thing you would probably notice is how much more acceleration the P85D has. And of course, if you ever drive on snow or ice, which doesn't sound like you would in SoCal...

3. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

My friend just used an example. The $6500 makes the P85 feel like a BMW in terms of handling. Without it, it feels more like a Mercedes in terms of handling. I don't know how much of that is true. It sounds like a lot of people dont think the PLUS was worth it.

4. loco

loco Member

#4 loco, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    I own a 2013 P85+ and 2015 P85D.

The major difference is that in the D you can go nearly full accelerator as soon as you pass the apex of a corner with the steering wheel still turned. It will pull itself out and just shoot out of the corner without engaging stability control, while the + will try to oversteer, engage stability control and cut the power. So in the + you have to gradually increase accelerator pressure, just as you would in a race car. The D is easier, it just goes like mad.

Also, my initial impression was that the D has tighter suspension and steering. That it's less of a boat. This may have been caused by the D being on 21" and + still on winter 19". I feel that the D has more accuracy and provides more feeling about the road through the steering wheel. But I would need to get the + on 21" to confirm 100%.

Oh and last thing would be that you do get some torque steer on the D. If you've driven RWD all life, this may not feel nice.

5. yak-55

yak-55 Member

If you enjoy spirited handling (sports cars and sports sedans), and are not a trained track driver, you will certainly appreciate AWD. Never thought I needed it, and once I had it (in a much lesser car than the Tesla), I realized I would never go back. In fact, the availabilityof AWD sealed the Tesla decision for me. I live in Florida so weather is not a consideration, even on dry pavement, the feel and confidence of well set up AWD and (very good) tires is a joy. I shopped and drove the P85 (and P85+) before the PD was announced. If I were to shop now, and didn't want to "pay up" for the PD acceleration, but wanted great handling, I would much more likely go for the 85D than the P85. YMMV.

6. dennis

dennis P85D

I had a P85, and had it upgraded with the + suspension because I did not like the handling. The improvement was huge. Now I have a P85D and it provides a whole new level of cornering performance with the AWD. Here's an analogy:

P85 = Lexus
    P85+ = BMW
    P85D = Nissan GTR

7. loco

loco Member

Completely agreee. P85D feels very similar to a GT-R when you drive it in the city or at speeds below 100mph. It's heavy but with tons of traction. The only problem is if you take it out of city and do some spirited driving with lots of WOT. It will overheat in minutes and limit power to ~240kW. So if you're looking for a real sports car, don't look at Tesla.

8. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

OP: I preface this by saying I love my P85+ but the 'D' is much quicker and while I have had my 85+ 'bunny hop' with quick acceleration the 'D' can handle anything I throw at it. I do not take it to the track or drive either vehicles hard. I would also comment that the fit/finish/sound deadening of the 'D' is better than my 85+.

9. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I am not a sports car driver. Never wanted a Porsche or Ferrari or anything like that. I had a P85+ as a loaner and really disliked the way it felt. Way too much power on the rear wheels, with my utter lack of skill I managed to get the traction control to kick in repeatedly and felt that when trying to sprint down an on-ramp it actually felt unstable because of that. Enter the P85D. Any idiot can drive the P85D, even I. Rock solid. Amazingly fun without ever being scary. Everyone who knows me and knows my thoughts about sports cars was shocked when I bought one. And I love the car.

10. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Well....now you are!:biggrin:

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I've had ICE AWD cars for years. Never thought I would change. But I got a P85+ (just a bit too early to know about the D. Darn!) But I love the fact that I can have fun with the rear end, which I have not been able to do in my AWDs. Even the high powered ones. So I find it fun and have learned rather quickly how much go to give it for fun or for function. I would love the D, but timing was off and I honestly have no regrets, except for the 3.2=60. Which in real life, I would rarely use.

But, but but!

12. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I've owned both. I was surprised by how much tighter and solid the P85D feels.

13. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I wonder how much of this is due to Chris Porritt's influence who came to Tesla from Aston Martin's where he headed Vehicle Engineering? He arrived after the Model S was developed so it would have taken awhile for him to influence changes to the S.

http://ir.teslamotors.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=762317

14. bradhs

bradhs Member

I have a P85+ and love rear wheel drive... Not sure I can have as much fun in an AWD.