Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

p85+ vs w205 (2016 c63s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're debating between the new 2015-2016 C63s which is a beast and the older 2014 P85 plus. Both are in the low $80k.
I know one's electric and one's gas so may not fair comparison. One will be a couple years old and one will be brand new. But we love the luxurious interior and style and the amazing torque of the c63s. I haven't driven it though. I have driven a regular P85 (not plus). Hated the interior but loved the immediate torque. The c63s is slightly faster with 0-60 in 3.9 seconds compared to the p85 plus time of 4.2 seconds.

If anyone has driven the 2015-2016 c63s can comment, would love to hear feedback.

Last edited:
Have lots of friends than have owned Mercedes AMG. They love the styling, the power, the handling and the fury. They hate the lousy gas mileage, the expensive maintenance, the jaw dropping depreciation and the constant fear of expensive repairs if out of warranty.

First year of ownership the AMG will depreciate $30K. The Tesla much much less.

The C mercedes is a compact car, and does not have the grace or carrying capacity of the Tesla.

I know Irvine. Step on the gas in your AMG and the local police will charge you with exhibition of speed in an instant. Floor it in the Tesla and they won't even notice you : >)

See very little to compare between the two.

Uncle Paul, thanks for the tidbit. I appreciate it. Do the new AMGs also have reliability issues? I know the older ones did. But the new models do look nice.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the P85D. I'm talking about a used P85+ with the original seats that still sells for $85k used. When in two years, a brand new top-of-the-line model E will cost $65-70k new. That's the one most people are waiting for. Honestly, I'm like do I pull the trigger now for a used P85+ that doesn't even have AP or wait for a smaller model E that will be cheaper brand new with better features.

I have driver the C63 and it is an awesome car, however your are trying to compare apples to peanuts. The 205 C is a great car, the build is tight and the features are great. The tesla is an technology gem with some cool features. I have not driven a P85 only the new p90DL. The P90 blows the doors off of the C. The other thing to consider is the 4.0l v8 in the Benz is a new engine which may have some growing pains. If your in traffic I would steer clear of the Benz with the amg wet clutch which will drive you nuts. My suggestion is to go drive the Benz and see what you think. It's a lot smaller inside than the S.

I haven't driven a C63, but I did consider buying one a long time ago. A friend who owns a lot of cars test drove one, not a big guy, but he said he had to open the door to adjust the seat it was so tight. That pretty much killed my interest, but he said it was an amazing car.

I have a P85+ and could not be more in love. As far as the interior goes, it fits my esthetic perfectly. Yes, it is austere...love it. But that is completely a taste and personality POV. As far as performance, it is so sublimely fast and completely smooth at all acceleration points, that it truly is amazing. Of course, I test drove it, fell in love, and placed an order on the spot. But I have had the car for 14 months and I am now so much more in love with her (yes, I named her the Miss because she is a true lady!) than when new. She is so smoooooth, serene and composed during "normal" driving. She is also a fire breathing monster when I want it. And still silent at that. It really is shocking. Really!

Now that I have had a Tesla for this long, I look at every other car, even the exotics, as being so primitive: with having to actually stop at a gas station, maintain the darn thing, the noise, the lack of instant acceleration at any speed (and I do MEAN instant!), that I could never go back again. I simply cannot imagine it.

And don't forget about the service, if ever needed, which is rare, where they come to wherever I am: home, work, on the road; give me a loaner, take the car away, and fix it with a smile...for free. Period.

Now what is better than that for a car?

I have a P85+ and could not be more in love. As far as the interior goes, it fits my esthetic perfectly. Yes, it is austere...love it. But that is completely a taste and personality POV. As far as performance, it is so sublimely fast and completely smooth at all acceleration points, that it truly is amazing. Of course, I test drove it, fell in love, and placed an order on the spot. But I have had the car for 14 months and I am now so much more in love with her (yes, I named her the Miss because she is a true lady!) than when new. She is so smoooooth, serene and composed during "normal" driving. She is also a fire breathing monster when I want it. And still silent at that. It really is shocking. Really!Now that I have had a Tesla for this long, I look at every other car, even the exotics, as being so primitive: with having to actually stop at a gas station, maintain the darn thing, the noise, the lack of instant acceleration at any speed (and I do MEAN instant!), that I could never go back again. I simply cannot imagine it.And don't forget about the service, if ever needed, which is rare, where they come to wherever I am: home, work, on the road; give me a loaner, take the car away, and fix it with a smile...for free. Period.Now what is better than that for a car?
All the 2014 I'm looking at do not have autopilot. At what point did they have the autopilot? Was it closer to 2015?

OP - it really depends on what you like in a car. I'm a car nut and absolutely love the Tesla. You couldn't pry it away from me right now. That said (IMHO), the Tesla isn't a "drivers car". Speaking purely in terms of driving dynamics it is rather boring. Neutral handling, excessive nanny assists, luxury boat weight. All the other stuff - power, torque curve, safety, insane electronics, no gas, etc. make it the best thing on the planet. But it isn't a sports car. As I've said before the perfect combo for me would be the Tesla and a GT3. I just need the dust to settle a bit before I pull the trigger on another car purchase!

Worth noting P85 tests around 3.9s-4.0s despite 4.2s claim by Tesla, so pretty much on par with the Merc. The instant torque will also destroy most any car, except possibly high-performance sports cars and the "D" models, regardless of 0-60.

The problem is now that Tesla exists, ALL gasoline cars seem like extremely silly contraptions mainly because of the dirty, greasy old engine under the hood doing things like *still running and making noise* even when the vehicle is stationary. (And smogging a few people to death, too). They're just really, really boring and ridiculous by comparison and there isn't much else to say... :D

I got it by two days, literally. Mine left production on 9-25-14. Elon announced on 9-27, I think. I got it for free. No upcharge at all. See my VIN below. Above that number, you should be safe, as they threw it into the production stream on all cars. Though there is some confusion on their numbering schema. I would bet if you looked at 52XXX, you would be safe. It is well worth getting.

All the 2014 I'm looking at do not have autopilot. At what point did they have the autopilot? Was it closer to 2015?

I was debating whether to get a used C63 Black Series or the P85. Couldn't find a C63BS to test drive so I drove a regular c63. Fell in love with the roar and the power, truly an amazing european muscle car... But when I test drove the P85, the instant torque, the sexy curves of the rear fenders that flares out and the fact that it's a head turner because not a lot of folks know about Tesla yet.... one test drive and it sealed the deal. Confirmed my order late Sept. 2014, picked up my #PearlWhiteModelS early Dec! And guess what, Auto pilot hardware was installed.

What sucked was that after confirming my order, Elon announced the "D".... all good though. my P85 has plenty of power. :biggrin:

Get a used P85 or P85+, you will not regret it.

They are both great cars, but very different. Tesla is quiet and comfortable, Mercedes is just a lunatic with plenty of character, noise, smell of fuel and burnt rubber.

I had a similar problem as you and got both. I drive the Tesla daily, wife drives the Merc to work. When I feel like burning some rubber, I borrow the Merc and shut traction control off (not possible in a Tesla).

I'm not a fan of turbocharged engines, so I got the older W204 edition 507. It's last of the N/A breed with a very harsh ride and hydraulic steering.
I got a used one with 10,000 miles. It was an AMG press car before I bought it. It was raped by journalists in following videos:
2014 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Edition 507 Wagon! The Modern Hammer Wagon? - Ignition Ep. 76
The Correspondent s.2, n.3 - MERCEDES C63 AMG "EDITION 507"

and also used in some photo sessions, which makes it a bit special :)

Very happy with the choice and advise you to get two cars. W204 have been in production for a long time and you can get one cheaply. Just remember that it should have a limited slip diff.

I have a 2013 P85 and have consistently gotten 3.9 and a very few 3.8s 0-60. I run with 19" primacies. I know when we first got the car we consistently ran at 4.0. I've driven the autopilot cars and to be honest it's a really nice feature if I was buying new if pay for it. But truly the only really part I like about it is adaptive cruise. I prefer to drive it myself. And may be alone with this but also prefer the rwd P85 to the D