TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D: 10,000 miles in

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarcG, Apr 16, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

#1 MarcG, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Well, I just hit 10,000 miles in my P85D and I can confidently say the experience has been nothing short of magical.

First, the learning curve was not steep at all - I felt immediately comfortable with the driving dynamics, controls (including learning how to use the touchscreen), and having driven electric cars for about two years prior, not having to switch gears and smooth acceleration. The large car size took a little getting used to, coming from a Fiat 500e and Audi TT, but the spacious interior has definitely been worth it.

Sure, there has been a few issues such as a hum in the rear motor which had to be replaced, delay in getting my next-gen seats installed and the long-promised torque sleep software, and most recently a widespread shock assembly issue that hasn't been resolved yet. But the Tesla service experience has been fabulous so far and I feel very well treated by the entire team. Road trips have also been a breeze thanks to the ever-improving supercharger network.

The most amazing thing though has been the constant improvements via software updates. Having never owned a Model S before, this has been the single most surprising and pleasant aspect of the ownership experience that comforts me and gives me confidence in the desire to keep this car for the long term. Of course there will be newer models, larger battery packs, new features in the near future that I will miss out on (e.g. heated steering wheel which I just missed out on by a couple of weeks) but I find it amazing that the car's capabilities are still going to be improving over time without even having to bring the car in for service.

I realize this could still be the "honeymoon period" effect, but I'm still in love and hope to be for the foreseeable future :love:

IMG_8111.jpg

2. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

Congrats sir! That's quite a lot of miles in a short period! You must be enjoying it. I am too!

3. scottm

scottm Active Member

Having a little fun 17 miles before that picture was taken I see!

That there is why you love your D.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Congrats. I'm coming up on 6k miles on mine, and I've taken a few trips. Although during the week I travel a lot (air) and the car just sits in the parking lot :(

5. anxman

anxman Member

7k miles here -- didn't think anybody here drives their P85D as much as I do! I stand corrected.

6. mhs

mhs Member

1500mi on mine. Question for all of you, do you leave "range mode" on to take advantage of torque sleep? I keep my "range mode" on, and I'm averaging about 360-370 W/Mi. I just wish there was a way to take advantage on torque sleep without losing HVAC performance.

7. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

6k+ miles here. Only use range mode when on long trips.

8. tezzla

tezzla Member

The air conditioning in range mode works much better when you turn on recirculate.

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Nice going, MarcG! Your lifetime Wh/mile number does suggest that you've been a bit insane ;)

Coming up on 4,000 miles at a respectable 335 Wh/mile that's dropping fast. Range mode On throughout with rarely a need to turn air on here in NorCal.

10. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I only use range mode on trips when I need it. I'm still convinced that there must be a con to using it other than HVAC, otherwise Tesla wouldn't have exposed the option. My guess is that it changes the tolerances for pack heating and cooling, which likely has an effect on degradation. I would not drive in range mode 100% of the time.

11. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I never bother w/range mode unless I actually think I might not make my destination. You can manually just shut off the HVAC... and lighten up on your right pedal.

12. pmoa

pmoa Member

So even after the 10,000 miles, has the novelty worn off?

13. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

#13 Saghost, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    This is kinda what I'm wondering, too. It's clear from the original post that you're still loving the car.

What I'm curious about, though, is how often you still use the 3 second acceleration these days?

Only when showing the car to somebody new? Every single morning with a bright grin or a little giddy laugh? Somewhere in between?

Inquiring minds want to know... :)
    Walter

14. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

15. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

To be honest - and I'm not speaking for MarcG here - doing true Insane mode every day gets old quickly. Yes, I love taking off at the on-ramps every single morning (and I make sure that I make it to the lane which goes first in a two-lane quick one-two light situation :)) but, regular Sport mode is plenty as I come up alongside moving freeway traffic way too fast as it is.

16. Zextraterrestrial

My P85 still feels new and it's 0-xx hasn't worn off after 2 1/2 + years.
    can't image awd pulling through corners instead of sliding around them

17. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

18. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Thanks everyone!
    To answer a few questions:

- Yes, I've been having lots of fun with it and still do
    - No, the novelty has NOT worn off!!
    - Ever since torque sleep was released, I've kept the car in INSANE and RANGE MODE = ON
    - I haven't felt that the HVAC is not efficient enough due to RANGE MODE being ON, so I haven't bothered turning it off
    - My lifetime average is certainly higher than it would have been had the torque sleep been available from day 1, however I do still have lots of fun driving fast when range isn't a concern
    - I don't necessarily launch the full 0-60 mph every day, but definitely utilize the INSANE acceleration for 0-30/40 from a stop light/sign, to pass others, on on-ramps, and of course show newbies what this baby can do!

19. DPDsModelS

DPDsModelS Member

image.jpg

I can beat your mileage but not Avg Wh/mi. The harsh northeast winter has kept me well over 400 Wh/mi until very recently. I don't drive too hard but the cold and traffic are killers!