TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

P85D 2-3 day trip, anyone suggest a great birding/wildlife destination?

Discussion in 'California' started by Aargau, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Aargau

Aargau Member

Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    Family is flying to Tokyo, I have commitments but I'm free 23rd-26th. Was thinking of driving up to Tule Lake area via supercharger network and stay at a KOA site near Klamath basin.

I'm starting in Silicon Valley.

Any other suggestions?
  2. rpo

rpo Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Going up I-5 there is the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge near Willows. Just south of Sacramento is the Consumnes River Preserve.
  3. Aargau

Aargau Member

Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm going to do a longer road trip and go the south-east part of Arizona. Will have to test out an RV hookup for the first time as there are no superchargers near Tucson.
  4. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    If you are intent on traveling to Southwest AZ, Tucson has Saguaro National Parks (yes, there is one East and one West of Tucson) and Pima Air & Space Museum.
    A couple of KOA RV parks for your consideration near Tucson:

KOA Benson AZ, East of Tucson

KOA Picacho/Tucson NW

KOAs typically have Kabins, you will probably need your own pillow and bedding or sleeping bag.
    Kabins typically have a queen size bed, and a bunk bed, and they have heaters and air conditioning.
    Some KOAs have a pool, most Kabins have porches and a place to cook outdoors, maybe even a picnic table.
    Most have communal bathrooms and showers, some Kabins do have bathrooms.

Always best to call ahead and confirm that they will accept charging an EV (NEMA 14-50 outlet), and if they have an available Kabin for lease.

Other RV Parks in Tucson (All are Good Sam Parks), and some do have cottages:

Crazy Horse Campground & RV Park

Far Horizons Tucson Village RV Resort
    (800) 480-3488

Justins Diamond J RV Park
    (520) 883-6706

Misson View RV Resort
    (800 444-8439

Prince of Tucson RV Park
    (800) 955-3501

Rincon Country East RV Resort
    (520) 886-8431

Rincon County West RV Resort