Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D about to enter production - what have I done!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scraped up my pennies to buy this car and I haven't regretted it in the least. I never would have considered paying this much for a car before, but after comparing what other companies had to offer in the way of performance and technology, this car was the only one that had everything I was looking for. I honestly look forward to every minute in the car; I seriously look for excuses to run errands just so I can drive. I don't care if there is traffic - it's so peaceful to drive that I don't get stressed in traffic like I used to. And on the highway, traffic aware cruise control is bliss! I look forward to the firmware updates and love how the car just keeps improving over time. I've never been so obsessed with a car.

This is the single best purchase I've ever made.

I scraped up my pennies to buy this car and I haven't regretted it in the least. I never would have considered paying this much for a car before, but after comparing what other companies had to offer in the way of performance and technology, this car was the only one that had everything I was looking for. I honestly look forward to every minute in the car; I seriously look for excuses to run errands just so I can drive. I don't care if there is traffic - it's so peaceful to drive that I don't get stressed in traffic like I used to. And on the highway, traffic aware cruise control is bliss! I look forward to the firmware updates and love how the car just keeps improving over time. I've never been so obsessed with a car.

BTW, I quit making up errands and excuses - I just get in it and drive with no where in particular to go.

I'm also scraping all my pennies together for this car! I currently live in Golden, BC Canada and I work at an LVL Mill called Louisiana Pacific. I make ~$29/hr at my current position and I'm signing up for ALL the OverTime I can get! I've been shoveling my $$$ into my TFSA in the hopes that this time next year I will be able to afford an S85D!

I've calculated that for me to achieve this goal, I need to save up ATLEAST $36,000 CDN for a 15% Down Payment (That's 15% DP + 15% Taxes). 3/4 of my monthly income will be going to this car, leaving only enough for Rent and some food. Hope this grind is worthwhile!

Everyone I talk to about the car thinks I'm absolutely insane, I've questioned it myself once or twice lol. But I'm pretty sure that I will enjoy my S85D whilst I try to pay it off ASAP over 84 months, or if they allow lump-sum payments, hopefully sooner!

I just recently squashed out the last of my Student Loan from a decade earlier, So I'm debt-free atm. My family says I should just save my money and go to University but I don't even really know what I want to really DO in life yet (1st Student Loan was for Game Art & Design, 3/4 through the course the '08 economy crash hit and everyone that had a job was let go, and then some...).

So instead of 'wasting' my money on some schooling that I don't even have a drive to do, I'm planning on enjoying my time here while I last.

Working at LP isn't my 'dream job' but it's the best this town has to offer and I don't feel like heading up to Fort Mac, AB (Which a LOT of people do from here). I'd feel like a MASSIVE hypocrite doing that seeming as I disagree with the Tar Sands.

I'm madly devoted to Tesla and will NEVER, EVER, buy an ICE vehicle again! EVER! I'm even pondering dabbling in Investing Long-Term with TSLA.

Currently, I load the TM Design Studio and click-out my S85D everyday, lol hopelessly addicted...... The $120,220 CDN price tag means this will be my single-largest purchase of my life, so far. The 15% Tax on the car comes to $18,033 CDN, which, is also the required 15% DP.

NOW I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to Paint-Correct/Film it (It will have to be done in Vancouver, BC... So that already kind of scares me as Vancouver is an INSANELY expensive place to live), I'm gonna need rock chip protection on HWY 1. Does that Film protect against Winter Salting/Sanding?

And down the road after I save up a bit I plan to have it painted like the photo included (Guessing that would cost ~$20-$25k???), maybe even get an Unplugged Performance Complete Front Fascia!

Anyways, this is getting lengthy!
What are your 2 cent's on what I should do?

You will not regret it, as long as you keep the financial pressure at bay, and are not disappointed (or surprised) when Tesla releases something (like the Model X) even more amazing in a few months or a year.

Frankly, in our book (me and my wife), the seats pushed us upmarket from the 85D, more than the power. The new seats are hugely more comfortable!

...But I'm pretty sure that I will enjoy my S85D whilst I try to pay it off ASAP over 84 months, or if they allow lump-sum payments, hopefully sooner!... 3/4 of my monthly income will be going to this car, leaving only enough for Rent and some food... What are your 2 cent's on what I should do?

Suze Orman says if you can't pay a car loan off in 3 years then you cannot afford the car, I tend to agree. I think you should be able to pay half in cash, this is a major expense and 3/4 of your pay going to a car is way too much risk IMHO.

Thanks for all the support, everyone! Now I just need that status message to change to "the factory is building your model s".

@arijaycomet - nice that we have similar taste! you're welcome to come check it out any time, let me know when the winds might bring you to the Chicago area.

and @vger - yup, the next gen seats were a big factor for me as well. that, and the suspension/handling, the P85D just feels like a completely different car vs a regular 85.

3/4 of my monthly income will be going to this car, leaving only enough for Rent and some food.

Shawn, let me be more frank than InternetDude. I love your passion for Tesla, but I think you are way, way, way overextending yourself for a P85D. NOBODY should pay 3/4 (or in my mind even 1/4) of their monthly income AND drain all their savings for a car. Not sure if you've even factored in insurance, which will be hefty for a $120k car. If you feel compelled and just HAVE to do it, you'd be far better off finding a clean P85 for half that price. I hope you have friends and family that will coach you on this - you should listen to them.

I guess I should add, the 3/4 of my monthly income is only to save up over the year for my DP, my monthly total will be just over $1200/month, which is less than half of what I make a month. Suze may say I cannot afford it, but it's the only thing in my life I want atm, I don't plan on buying a house anytime soon. I called my insurance place and they quoted me for $201/month for the Model S..

And I don't plan on buying a P85D, I said S85D.

And I've contemplated buying an older model, though all the options ticked for those models aren't what I want. I want AWD, Next Gen Seats (I know they are purely for P85D's atm, waiting) and Black Alcantara Headliner.

Last edited:
I guess I should add, the 3/4 of my monthly income is only to save up over the year for my DP, my monthly total will be just over $1200/month, which is less than half of what I make a month. Suze may say I cannot afford it, but it's the only thing in my life I want atm, I don't plan on buying a house anytime soon. I called my insurance place and they quoted me for $201/month for the Model S..

And I don't plan on buying a P85D, I said S85D.

And I've contemplated buying an older model, though all the options ticked for those models aren't what I want. I want AWD, Next Gen Seats (I know they are purely for P85D's atm, waiting) and Black Alcantara Headliner.

OK, I'm less worried about you, but still concerned you may be pushing it!:cool:

Shawn, have you start looking for financing yet? I think you'll have problem getting a loan when you spent 3/4 of your month income on a car payment. I know in the US, your mortgage payment cannot be more than 33% of your monthly income. You might want to think about saving your money for couple of years and get the Gen 3.

State Farm did pretty decent, once they dealt with not having the VIN in their database.. ~1200 a year.

I could buy 8 years of insurance for the taxes imposed...

Be sure to read the forum threads about insurance coverage in case of accident. Basically, you could/should get coverage for anything between the insurance company's idea of the value of the car (which is a fraction of its true value) and the price to buy a new one. There are a number of ways to do this, with different providers. But the big problem is if you don't, then you could be looking at a massive uncovered loss ($50,000.00?) for a fender bender. (Yes, the insurance will give you "something", but it won't be enough unless you make sure it is enough.) There are stories of people with brand new Tesla's that get only the "depreciated" value back (assumed to be a fraction of the new value) and the car is "salvaged/totaled" which means they don't even get their own car and have to go buy a used one, and since used P85D's are selling for more used than new (because of the new order backlog) you're looking at losing tens of thousands of dollars, possibly $50K like I said. So just go research effective insurance ("agreed value" type, "replace with new car" option, etc.). Since you already have one policy, maybe there's some type of "filler" policy available? I dunno, because I don't own one and never actually researched ...