Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D about to enter production - what have I done!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I think you did the right thing. If you want a P85D, make the stretch and get one. You will always regret buying a lesser model IF you are eyeing the flagship. Nothing wrong with lower models, but you won't be happy with one. If the budget won't allow the P85D, I would shop for an entirely different car. Life is too short not drive a companies best, IF you are a car nut. If my budget would not allow a P85D, I'd have a serious look at a RS7 or M3 or C63. All fantastic flagships. I have owned a few sub flagships like BMW 335 and 550. While great cars, wish I would have bought the previous gen M. I did own an M3 and currently have a C63(that is getting traded for the P85D) and a VW Golf R. No regrets any more.

Personally, I think you did the right thing. If you want a P85D, make the stretch and get one. You will always regret buying a lesser model IF you are eyeing the flagship. Nothing wrong with lower models, but you won't be happy with one. If the budget won't allow the P85D, I would shop for an entirely different car. Life is too short not drive a companies best, IF you are a car nut. If my budget would not allow a P85D, I'd have a serious look at a RS7 or M3 or C63. All fantastic flagships. I have owned a few sub flagships like BMW 335 and 550. While great cars, wish I would have bought the previous gen M. I did own an M3 and currently have a C63(that is getting traded for the P85D) and a VW Golf R. No regrets any more.

With all due respect, I do not think someone who has ordered a Model S is going to be satisfied with an ICE alternative. If you've gotten hooked, better to order a lesser MS than any of those. Just not comparable. If you see them as comparable, you'd probably better not buy a Tesla!

With all due respect, I do not think someone who has ordered a Model S is going to be satisfied with an ICE alternative. If you've gotten hooked, better to order a lesser MS than any of those. Just not comparable. If you see them as comparable, you'd probably better not buy a Tesla!

Every buyer has different motives. I think the OP will not be happy with a Tesla unless it is a P85D. Many P owners are trading in for the D. Why? They have a perfectly great car. Are they doing it for environmental reasons, no. Have they got money to burn, maybe. Is it for status, probably not... They want the best. If my budget was 80k, I'd be into a second hand M5 or RS7 before a P85. My motives are to have an awesome performing, high tech sedan that is a thrill to drive everyday. It would eat away at me to drive a P85 with the P85D out there, and I think the OP is in the same boat.

If I want to go for a no destination ride before bed, just for the feeling of driving the car, I have the right car. My P85D should be here in 3 weeks. I compared the RS7, E63 and M5 before choosing the P85D. I know all those ICE cars can provide that feeling. Are you suggesting a P85D cannot? If so, I'd like to know....

There is /NOTHING/ like driving a Tesla. If you aren't eating ramen noodles because of it, I think you will be just fine. If you are... well, tomorrow, you may be dead, might as well enjoy it.

Search the forums for "you may be a Tesla owner if" and read them... they are almost all true. Especially in the D... "you might be a Tesla owner if you stop for yellow lights to be first on the green" >:)

It is totally worth every penny (and my last ICE was from the Audi.)

Hey, and when you get it, you can join the Chitown Tesla club (currently so secret I can't find out how to join!). I'd love to see a line of MS's all parked in a row somewhere here.

After two months, the thrill still hasn't worn off for me. I volunteer to do small shopping trips and pick up and drop off the kids. Used to speed up for yellow lights, now I'd rather get the red light in pole position (or so my Walter Mitty side of my brain describes it).

Well, based on initial impressions from the first few 85D deliveries this week, especially from @breser, I probably would have been perfectly happy had I stuck with that. As would my wallet.

But it doesn't matter now - my steel grey P85D is officially in production as of this morning, and I'm pretty sure in a few weeks I'll be thanking everyone here for making me stay with the PD.

@DBitter1 - assuming that Chitown owners' club actually does exist, I'll definitely look into joining.

Hi Guys, I'm new to the thread. I'm from belgium but since we have to wait untill june before the first P85D's will be delivered I'm reading up as much as
I can on the US forum. I'm also interested in getting the P85D. I've only tested the model S P85 and loved it.
My current car is a dodge challenger SRT8, wich I still really like. It seems that the majority of this forum is really really happy with the model S.
I'm on the brink of ordering this car, wich will be our main and only car (challenger has got to go)
No matter how many reactions I read of happy customers, I still have one big fear and that's the range.
Both my wife and I are pretty fast drivers whenever we can.
We easily reach an average of 85 miles (140 km/h) an hour on the highways, we love to pull up fast, I know a lot of people will try to tell me the novelty of this
will go away pretty fast but after 5 years with my SRT8 I still love to pull up fast...
With various calculators I found on the web and here I calculated that with this driving style I may be happy to get 125 miles before I need to charge.
Is this close to correct and what I can expect? We have pretty moderate weather, we don't have many days when the temp drops below 32°F and it's pretty flat
overhere. (we do get our share of rain but no where near heavy rain.)
I have to do at least 2 125 mile trips each week and if this means the battery is empty upon arrival I'm pretty sure I won't opt for the Tesla after all.
The car would always sleep in a rather warm garage.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread or if I used some bad English.

Hi Guys, I'm new to the thread. I'm from belgium but since we have to wait untill june before the first P85D's will be delivered I'm reading up as much as
I can on the US forum. I'm also interested in getting the P85D. I've only tested the model S P85 and loved it.
My current car is a dodge challenger SRT8, wich I still really like. It seems that the majority of this forum is really really happy with the model S.
I'm on the brink of ordering this car, wich will be our main and only car (challenger has got to go)
No matter how many reactions I read of happy customers, I still have one big fear and that's the range.
We easily reach an average of 85 miles (140 km/h) an hour on the highways, we love to pull up fast, I know a lot of people will try to tell me the novelty of this
will go away pretty fast but after 5 years with my SRT8 I still love to pull up fast...
With various calculators I found on the web and here I calculated that with this driving style I may be happy to get 125 miles before I need to charge.
Is this close to correct and what I can expect? We have pretty moderate weather, we don't have many days when the temp drops below 32°F and it's pretty flat
I have to do at least 2 125 mile trips each week and if this means the battery is empty upon arrival I'm pretty sure I won't opt for the Tesla after all.

To get the range down to 125 miles you will have to go to German autobahn and drive at 200km/h for about an hour, I guess. With my S85 constantly going at 160-180km/h still gives me significantly more than 125 miles under normal traffic conditions. To constrantly keep 180km/h in Germany you will have to drive between 2 and 5a.m. not to be slowed down by other cars. :wink:

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum! Just taking a guess here based on my limited experience so far in the P85D (2 months/3600 miles), if you like to drive fast a lot (85 mph on highway) in mostly moderate weather, flat ground, and little rain, I'd take a guess that I would get maybe 180-200 miles of range on a full charge in my P85D on the current firmware of .167. Driving at that speed, you probably won't get much advantage of torque sleep, but there will be times when you can't go that fast and you will see more efficiency during city driving and lower speeds. Before .167, I would guess the range was closer to 160 miles on a full charge.

thanks for the answers guys, I must admit I was a bit spooked by the results of those range calculators but it was because
I used my max speed from beginning till the end of th ride, wich is a stupid thing to do because I will never drive 150-160km/h for
an hour long, it's mostly just short bursts.
But I guess driving from Belgium to Spain at night at 150-160 an hour will be history when I opt for the P85D.