Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D alignment/tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the stock alignment specs, the rear tires are getting destroyed on the inner side due to the positive toe in the rear, they also run negative toe in the front.

anyone tried to zero out the toe front and rear?

thoughts/experience?

I've spent many hours correcting toe after the service center does an alignment. They get it wrong (very wrong) every time. Worst I got back was 0.8 dgrs toe out (yes OUT) in the rear. It obliterated the 21s. This last time I got it back with exactly zero rear toe. I set it to 0.2-0.3 dgrs toe-in rear and a hair toe-out front.

Here's a post I made showing how to measure toe yourself:

How to measure toe yourself (with pictures)

I've spent many hours correcting toe after the service center does an alignment. They get it wrong (very wrong) every time. Worst I got back was 0.8 dgrs toe out (yes OUT) in the rear. It obliterated the 21s. This last time I got it back with exactly zero rear toe. I set it to 0.2-0.3 dgrs toe-in rear and a hair toe-out front.

Here's a post I made showing how to measure toe yourself:

How to measure toe yourself (with pictures)

thanks for the reply. i do not plan to have the service center do the alignment and i dont expect them to do anything correctly to be honest with you.

i looked at your post,

so you're running
Min Max
Total rear toe-in (degrees) 0.25 0.45

how many miles have you been running with this and hows your tire wear?

how many miles have you been running with this and hows your tire wear?

I've gone through a couple sets of tires. The extreme inner edge wear is gone. It still wears a bit more towards the inner side due to the camber (which is non-adjustable), but it's not that bad.

Bad part is even with the alignment fixed I only get 8K miles out of the rear and about twice that from the fronts. I think I'll ditch the 21's and go with 20" wheels instead.

The stock specs work well for me, 20K miles and probably 10K left. Perfectly even wear. From the factory the front had too much toe in so we took Nicki back at 2K miles for that and other minor adjustments. They got it dead on, verified it with another shop who I told NOT to align, just check then watched him to be sure all surfaces were clean and he knew what he was doing (Sears).
Wheel alignment takes time and skill. Usually the alignment guy is under pressure to get the cars out and will miss dumb things that make the machine read incorrectly. Garbage in, garbage out as they say.

I've gone through a couple sets of tires. The extreme inner edge wear is gone. It still wears a bit more towards the inner side due to the camber (which is non-adjustable), but it's not that bad.

Bad part is even with the alignment fixed I only get 8K miles out of the rear and about twice that from the fronts. I think I'll ditch the 21's and go with 20" wheels instead.

im not too worried about camber wear, that isnt what eats up the tires but wow only 8k on the rears? what tires are you running? is this a P85D?

The stock specs work well for me, 20K miles and probably 10K left. Perfectly even wear. From the factory the front had too much toe in so we took Nicki back at 2K miles for that and other minor adjustments. They got it dead on, verified it with another shop who I told NOT to align, just check then watched him to be sure all surfaces were clean and he knew what he was doing (Sears).
Wheel alignment takes time and skill. Usually the alignment guy is under pressure to get the cars out and will miss dumb things that make the machine read incorrectly. Garbage in, garbage out as they say.

what tires are you running?

I have the same issue with my P85+ running staggered 21" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. After only about 5000 miles, only have 4/32 on the inside and center while outside is 5/32. Anyone have luck getting Michelin to prorate these under warranty? The tires came on the car as it was a CPO car. Any other good tires to try that will last longer? Looking at the Falken FK510s.

Instead of making a new post I will continue this one.

How have those with the P85D 19 " tires noticed wear front to back?

I have only had mine 4 months, and I put on a used set of Goodyears when I got it, and it is a little deceiving to monitor the tire wear. You think the tires are wearing perfectly as measuring between the tread lugs all the wear bars are equal, but on the innermost shoulder right on the inside edge of the tire the wear is more pronounced.

When I got my tires installed they put the ones with more wear on the front, (tires with the most tread on the rear) as the assumption was that the rears will wear faster. I know this is an all wheel drive, but I have not read anything about whether than means torque is 50/50 under hard acceleration, or with the larger motor in the back it is more 60/40. One would assume the latter as they put a 265mm tire on the back from the factory, so going to 19" of the same size front and back the rears should wear even faster, correct?

But I think the fronts are wearing faster than the rears. I have since learned that cruising on the highway only the front motor is working, so this would explain it, and then there is the regen factor, which also wears the tires whereby an ICE would not; is that 50/50? All my tires are worn on the inside shoulder, which I have read is normal, but I have also read that Tesla made changes to the D model and this has gotten better compared to the earlier P85's.

I am not sure if this an alignment issue with the front or not, or have others noticed the front tires on the P85D wearing faster than the rears? (or maybe you all rotate every 3000 miles and don't notice...assuming you can rotate)

And I have read several older posts/threads regarding low ride height setting, and aftermarket links to arrange the rear wheels at a -1 degree camber to provide better wear, but I am not sure if this applied to the P85D or just earlier models. So just so I can confirm, did Tesla make any changes to the Model S camber settings for the P85D, or are people still finding that the inside edges are still wearing out with the OEM settings, especially on low ride height? and is this just the rears or the fronts also?

I am about to buy a new set of tires and will get an alignment as well, but just wanted to educate myself at the same time on the Model S alignment history of this car.

Can you experiment with tire pressure? No expert here but doesn't negative camber wear out the inside more than positive or neutral?
https://www.townfairtire.com/webimages/camber.gif
When camber gets between -1.8 - -2.5 it wears the inside tread out faster. Having your camber at -1.5 - -1.7 improves the tire wear but you loose a bit of performance but lets be honest the Model S really isn't the best track car.

Can you experiment with tire pressure? No expert here but doesn't negative camber wear out the inside more than positive or neutral?
https://www.townfairtire.com/webimages/camber.gif

Negative camber wears progressively more as you traverse the inside of the tire. Bad toe ruins the outer edge while the middle has the same wear as the outside.

Tesla ruined my alignment at the 50K and my PS A/S 3+ wore on the inside edge rapidly after that. Having new ones installed next week when they should have last another 15K miles :(

I just found the inside of RR was destroyed in 20k. They did alignment to fix this before, it didn't fix it. I have apt Friday to get another alignment. We will talk about this , and i want FREE alignment and new tire.
Fremont says could have defective A arm bushing?
More to follow.

I had issues with my 19 inches michelin as3... they would wore out rapidly and so I decided to not lowered my car automatically on the highway. Ever since I did that the tires don't wore out from the inside anymore. I do however rotate them at each 3000 miles. I have a P85+

Good to know; those are the tires (A/S 3+ to be precise) I think I will buy for the March-October period of the year this spring. It's tough to figure this car out though: Don't put it on low as the inside edges wear out too fast, but put it on low so you don't get a vibration/shimmy under hard acceleration. You can't win.

As a follow up I did have the alignment done and sure enough my car had a little too much negative toe (toe out) which wore the inside edge a little too much on one side of the car. I am at the wear bars on the Goodyears front tires and Nokian WRG4's are getting mounted Saturday! Looking forward to doing range comparisons :)