Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D and Winter tires -- what would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I sold my P85+ earlier this year, and bought a P85D during the winter. It came with the Pirelli Sotozero winter tires mounted on 21" turbines. Lot of meat left on the tires.

For the spring/summer, I took them off and put on summer tires (Hankooks Ventus EVO2s). So option #1 is to have those Pirellis re-mounted on the 21" Turbines for winter.

Option #2 is that I still have my 19" TSportline TSTs (from the P85+) mounted with Hankook Noble S12s all-season/light snow tires. The problem is they still have the Gen 1 TPMS. I did pick up a set of the Gen 2 TPMS to put in these rims, but I'm not sure what to do for this winter.

Do I re-mount the Pirellis on 21" rims (and change again in the spring), or remount the Hankooks on the 19" rims to install the Gen 2 TPMS (and just leave the summer tires on the Turbines)?

I guess my question is, what do people think of running full blown winter tires on 21" rims, compared to all-season ("light snow") tires on 19" rims in the snow-prone Northeast?

Thanks.

I run 21's during the summer and 19's with Sottozero's in the winter, mainly because I want more sidewall when snow has obscured the potholes and the road damage done by plowing. The other nice thing about having two wheel and tire sets is that I can just swap the wheels myself.

I have a P85DL with 21" gray turbine wheels, and bought 21" Pirelli Sottozero snow tires because I like the look of the gray wheels. I used them for two winters. When it came time to dismount them and remount my summer tires on the rims this past March, the service center people showed me that two of the winter tires had bubbles (bumps) protruding from the sidewalls, which rendered the tires dangerous and useless. They said this was more likely to happen with lower-profile snow tires. So I have ordered - and they are supposed to arrive at the SC within the next few days - the new 19" gray slipstream wheels that are just becoming available. They will mount 19" snows on these, so I will use the 21" rims for summer tires only.

Reactions: mrElbe and Swift