TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

P85D autopiklot

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mobrien, Apr 26, 2015.

1. mobrien

mobrien New Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Boulder CO
    2 weeks into owning the 85D what a car. I have discovered Autopilot does not recognize RED lights
    it was scary..
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    San Mateo, CA
    #2 ecarfan, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    I am glad you like your new car. But Tesla has never claimed that the car can "recognize" red lights and come to a stop. I am unclear on why you would think that would be the case. Did you read the manual that describes what the car can actually do? And are you aware that the "Autopilot" software has not been released yet? The TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) is NOT "Autopilot".

It would be helpful if you provided a detailed description of the event that concerned you. I do not know if by "red lights" you mean a stop signal or the brake lights of a car in front of you, and I have no idea what you were doing in the car when the "red lights" appeared, or what the car did or did not do.
  3. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Ayer, MA

my understanding of it up to this point is that Tesla doesn't want it to be used on surface roads yet.

They want you to stick to highways with it.
  4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nov 10, 2011
    Autopilot is the new "HTML5". People use the term and everybody means different things by it.