Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D AutoPilot flaws in snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the collision warning go off a couple of times when there was no clear danger. Both times, there were snow banks near by, with either my car or a car in front of me in the process of turning. I suspect it got confused by the snow bank and thought the car was closer or in a different position.
This problem is also an issue that should be addressed. Road can be clear and the sun shining, but the 7-foot mounds of snow appear to be hip-faking the collision warning system.

Every cruise control I have ever read the instructions for warns that it is unsafe to use cruise control in adverse weather conditions. Has nothing to do with adaptive features.
Right. Even basic cruise control usually instructs you not to enable it under adverse conditions, even something as common as wet roads. I have a friend who had cruise enabled on a wet off-ramp that ended up slamming into a jersey barrier when the cruise attempted to maintain speed in slippery conditions and spun his wheels.

Speaking as someone who regularly drives in adverse weather conditions and who has lived here and driven here his entire life, I have never seen the conditions alluded to as commonly occurring where there is so much ice buildup on the sensors that you couldn't clear it before you start driving, and yet the roads are clear and dry enough to safely use any form of cruise control.

And I say this as someone living in Calgary where we are famous for all sorts of sudden weather changes too, so I'm familiar with sudden thaws and all that too. I still don't buy it. If the roads are clear enough for cruise control, then clearing the sensors before you drive off should be easy, if they're sloppy enough that the sensors cover up again quickly, then it's too sloppy for cruise.

This is not a tesla problem.

As I mentioned in the thread this was originally posted in, it seems cruise control has been "not available" more often than it has been available this winter for me.

To be clear, I'm not talking about using cruise control during snow storms, I'm talking about day between storms, on clear (for a Boston winter) roads and highways. Cruise control is often unavailable for me. I've chalked this up to the weather (Boston's gotten 100 inches of snow in the last 4 weeks or so, and the temperatures have remained below freezing for the most part), but if this persists when it warms up I'll address it then.

I should add, that next to cruise control often being unavailable, my biggest complaint with driving my P85D this winter has been the many days I had to drive with no regen. Literally everyday I left work I had no regen. That issue is almost certainly the weather, I've found since I've been parking in a garage at work the last couple weeks, and while regen has been very limited, it's been working every day. I hope this CC issue is also just related to the harsher than normal winter we've been having lately.

No regen? Are you charging to 100%? I've never heard of this problem....

I've haven't charged to 100% since owning the car.

Do you have range mode turned on? I read in another thread that leaving it on will give you no regen due to the battery pack being too cold.

Most likely range mode was on. I turn it on when I know I'll be driving a longer distance, then forget to turn it off. I'm not that sensitive to ambient temperatures so I don't typically notice the weaker climate control, thus forgetting to turn it off.

I'll turn it off and see if that affects anything. Again, since I've been parking in a garage at work, while the regen is significantly reduced when I leave work, it hasn't been disabled. I'll see if I get more regen at the end of the day, though.

Yeah, I've been driving most of this winter with no regen as well. Definitely not range charging, but with the car sitting most days in below freezing weather, and our typical daily driving being a series of short to medium trips, the car will spend a few trips with no regen at all and the remainder of the trips with very very little regen.

The car does a good job of communicating the limitation to the driver, but it is still very disconcerting to be accustomed to regen braking and then not have it. It would be nice if you could actually tell the car to use enough wall current to keep the battery warm enough to allow regen after unplugging it..

I'm running with the standard 19" on my new P85D. Traction has been great, but I've found that the snowy weather really wreaks havoc with some of the autopilot features.

The lane departure warning frequently goes off due to snow on the road even if I'm clearly in the middle of a lane.

The parking sensors can easily get snow on or near them which causes them to blare the red stop warning whenever I am coming to a stop or starting to move again. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any option to turn this alert off or silence it.

The cruise control will intermittently stop working. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes for half an hour or so. When I try to engage it, it just says "Cruise not available". I've reported this problem to support as it might be an actual technical issue rather than just inclement weather.

I've had the collision warning go off a couple of times when there was no clear danger. Both times, there were snow banks near by, with either my car or a car in front of me in the process of turning. I suspect it got confused by the snow bank and thought the car was closer or in a different position.

My lane departure warning is turning itself off as well, and I'm in Los Angeles.. No snow here!! Service cant seem to figure out why its happening! Wonder if its a software bug, or a problem with the sensors?? Anyone experiencing the same problem?