Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D battery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a P85DL with about 83,000 miles on it. Full charge reads 225 miles, down from the original 255, I believe. I am wondering if this is abnormal (12%) degradation in 4.5 years. What are the rest of you getting on a full charge?

I just got a P85DL with about 83,000 miles on it. Full charge reads 225 miles, down from the original 255, I believe. I am wondering if this is abnormal (12%) degradation in 4.5 years. What are the rest of you getting on a full charge?

How long have you had the car? Did you make sure the battery charge limit is set to 100%?
My P85D shows 225 miles at 90%.

Reactions: sorka

Full charge should have been 253. Haven't seen 255 yet.

225 miles at 83K miles in my opinion is not normal degradation. My P85D's full charge at 90K miles is 242 miles and it spent the first 50K miles of it's life with range mode on which allows the battery to run much hotter than it should in hot weather.

You can try the usual running it down to near the bottom and a full charge to see if it rebalances.

At this point, I'd get a CANBUS->ODBII cable(I made my own) and an Elm327 BT OBDII dongle and download TM-SPY for android and look at the voltages for each string of batteries when sitting unused at high and low SOCs.

If you can show that a few of the 96 strings are much lower than the others, then you have blown cells at which point you could show the range reduction is due to non functioning individual cells rather than gradual degradation across all strings.

Reactions: BlueOvalFan
Full charge should have been 253. Haven't seen 255 yet.

225 miles at 83K miles in my opinion is not normal degradation. My P85D's full charge at 90K miles is 242 miles and it spent the first 50K miles of it's life with range mode on which allows the battery to run much hotter than it should in hot weather.

You can try the usual running it down to near the bottom and a full charge to see if it rebalances.

At this point, I'd get a CANBUS->ODBII cable(I made my own) and an Elm327 BT OBDII dongle and download TM-SPY for android and look at the voltages for each string of batteries when sitting unused at high and low SOCs.

If you can show that a few of the 96 strings are much lower than the others, then you have blown cells at which point you could show the range reduction is due to non functioning individual cells rather than gradual degradation across all strings.

Does anyone have experience getting a battery replaced, and if so, how did you get service to acknowledge the issue? It seems like they have a lot of theories about why the battery is not showing full miles, none of which have to do with battery degradation. Last SC visit, I was told to charge to different levels each time since charging to the same SOC will result in battery memory. They said try this for a couple months and see if it helps. Two months?...LOL

Does anyone have experience getting a battery replaced, and if so, how did you get service to acknowledge the issue? It seems like they have a lot of theories about why the battery is not showing full miles, none of which have to do with battery degradation. Last SC visit, I was told to charge to different levels each time since charging to the same SOC will result in battery memory. They said try this for a couple months and see if it helps. Two months?...LOL

That advise is nonsense. Escalate the issue if discharging to 10% then charging to 100% does not work.

From what I've seen in this forum, it's unusual for a battery to last as long as yours and mine without a "needs service now" message thrown. There are some in this forum that are on their 3rd replacement without even hitting 100K. Although I think they are all the non ludicrous batteries. The L upgraded batteries have inconel contactors and are basically indestructible. 1350 amp batteries (insane mode) still have the regular contactors.

While your battery shows more degradation than expected, it is not bad enough to merit replacement unless something specific is found wrong, the suggestion of TMSPY is your best bet for that.
Personally, I’d probably just not worry about it and enjoy driving it.

You might take one other tact and that is to measure battery power. Although normal degradation is not covered by the warranty, they would have a harder time claiming that a large power loss is normal.

Tesla originally claimed the P85D had 691 hp. It was later retroactively lowered to 463 hp. A nominal P85D 1350 amp battery will produce 415KW at 90% with max battery showing ready.

That's 415 * 1.341 = 556 hp at the battery (before inverter conversion and mechanical loss once it makes it to the wheels).

Get PowerTools for iOS and log into your tesla account and do a WOT run from say 10 MPH to 60 MPH and look at your max power which should be at least 400KW with your mileage.