Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Buyers, did you want Smart Air Suspension or were forced to add it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had ordered the coils but Tesla called me and asked why I didn't order the air suspension. I replied $2,250. He then explained that the P85D was designed for air but I replied that I doubt stiffer bushings would make a difference in 0 to 60. Then he said the car would lower at highway speeds for better range and I replied that one thread said it made no difference. I finally said yes because I like to lower the car for car shows and washing. There was no mention of a delivery delay. Mine is in the last batch with delivery expected late late December.

I went with SAS because I need to be able to adjust the height of the snowplow... er, P85D... to get up the road in the winter. :)

It's more that the coil option is high, than that raising with SAS is the desired feature. Coils clear just about everything. The SAS lowers. The specs are that standard SAS height is, I think, 1/2-1" lower than permanent coil height. Lolachampcar has shown all that is required to "lower" the coil suspension (machined rings into the strut, plus circlips), with a consensus to drop ~3/4". If you need different heights, go SAS. I'll be dropping 1/2", if I ever get around to it.

My criticism of the coils is they are a little under-damped, and can keep bouncing the tiniest bit. OTOH, the connection when driving aggressively is worth it. I want nothing between me and sensing the tires hooking up.

Lastly, a short bit after my last post, about not getting the deposit back, it came back over Paypal. (Psst, thanks Tesla).

Last edited: