Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D charge rates at superchargers V2 Vs V3

Will a P85D charge faster on a trip (5%-70%) on a V3 Supercharger vs V2?

• Yes, it will charge faster on a V3 Supercharger

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No, it will take the same amount of time on a V2 SC

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a loaner P85D and I need to take a trip to NJ (about 250 miles each way) there and back in the same day. Will a V3 supercharger charge any faster than a V2? Max charge speed or charging curve....basically, I'm looking for total charging time, what will be faster (or is there no difference).

I'm trying to determine if I should prioritize V3 SC stops over V2.

My experience is that with a MX 2019 with a theoretical limit of 150kw is that I never get that high on a V2 even though it should be possible, but have had over 150 for a few minutes, peaked at 183 for a few seconds, when charging on a V3.

Good point! V3 do not share power with an adjacent stall, and sharing a stall would definitely slow charging at V2 if it is crowded.
It's true that you'll pull a maximum of 72-73kw if you have to share (I had to share while charging on Thanksgiving morning), though that will only impact your charging speed if your SoC is lower than 40% or so.

Most I've pulled on my car has been 129kw. This was a little over a month ago on a V2 charger with 10% SoC.