Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D : charging trap won't open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am having an issue with my father's P85D 6.2 firmware. I went to open the charging trap as usual, but although I did hear the sound of the trap opening, it hadn't. After many trials, the screen finally displayed "trap open" and only then could we open it. As it usually opens straight away and this is rather tedious I was wondering if anybody else had been having the same problem.

Thank you

J

Hi,

I am having an issue with my father's P85D 6.2 firmware. I went to open the charging trap as usual, but although I did hear the sound of the trap opening, it hadn't. After many trials, the screen finally displayed "trap open" and only then could we open it. As it usually opens straight away and this is rather tedious I was wondering if anybody else had been having the same problem.
There may be a language issue here... "trap" doesn't seem to make much sense. Are you talking about the door covering the charging port? There were a couple of reports but they all seemed to be hardware failures, not software issues. The charge port door assembly on the European cars is quite different from the US cars, so I'm not sure if the issues are similar. IIRC the European cars still don't have the self closing door, correct?

Yes it is the door covering the charging port :
image.jpg

No self closing.

i dont know of it is hardware but it seems clean on visual

Hi,

Thank you

J

Happens to me now and then espeically in bad weather when gunk is more likely to find it's way behind the door. I use a thin credit card to pry the left lower corner as I press on the UMC head button. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
I had this problem with my new 85D where about half the time I'd hear a click but the door wouldn't open. I was able to gently pry on the front edge and get it open. I took it to the service center and they adjusted the door. Haven't had a problem since.

When it happened to me, the tech reported that the module that contains the door assembly had become misaligned and had dropped down a bit, causing the forward-most edge of the door to bind against its recess. That friction was sufficient to prevent the door from opening.

I had this problem with my new 85D where about half the time I'd hear a click but the door wouldn't open. I was able to gently pry on the front edge and get it open. I took it to the service center and they adjusted the door. Haven't had a problem since.

I had a similar problem: my auto closing door wouldn't auto close. It would try, move a bit then snap back to open. Forcing it closed manually worked fine. I took it to the SC and they adjusted something. All better now

Hi,

Thank you

J

It happened to me a bunch of times in cold weather. I could get it to pop open by prodding the door with my fingers on the opposite side of the hinge, further away from the charge port. In my case it was a little bit of ice holding it closed but I'm sure a bit of dirt could do it just as easily.