Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D efficiency is terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I have a P85D. Getting about 400wh/mi no matter what I do. Chill mode, range mode, insane mode, all the same. Had a 75D loaner for a week and always stayed under 290wh/mi. Is this a known issue? I had to get my contactors replaced when I bought the car last year.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Hey all, I have a P85D. Getting about 400wh/mi no matter what I do. Chill mode, range mode, insane mode, all the same. Had a 75D loaner for a week and always stayed under 290wh/mi. Is this a known issue? I had to get my contactors replaced when I bought the car last year.

Here is my data for reference. Long term normal driving conditions I average 350 wh/mile in my P85D in Southern California. I had a 75D loaner for a while and averaged 290.

• Informative
Reactions: anthonyj

I had a P85D for 4 years. In middling summer temps I could fairly easily get rated range on the highway at 65ish MPH. That's around 300 wh/mile for that car. Turning on range mode helps a bit I think.

Cold weather, 21 inch tires, a heavy foot, AC, etc... will all eat into the range, but that's just normal and the case with all Teslas. My current 100D is a little more efficient, I would say.

Here is my data for reference. Long term normal driving conditions I average 350 wh/mile in my P85D in Southern California. I had a 75D loaner for a while and averaged 290.

Same here: I've averaged 350 wh/mile over 46,000 miles on Ludicrous 2015 P85D with 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on Arachnid rims. The performance is still stunning.

Had a 75D loaner for a few days and also saw ~ 300 wh/mile. Big difference in performance... which explains the lower wh/mile.

No surprise.

Your 400 wh/mile is almost assuredly from your tires/rims, driving style, types of driving and weather conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and SSedan
That seems odd. I have a P85D in New England with 21’s and I get below 350 Avg and can get 280-ish on the highway. No range mode.

Are you running the AC and stepping on the throttle?

Well heck let's get the whole picture:
  • Tires ? (size, brand, and PSI)
  • Wheels ? (size, width)
  • Ambient air temps ?
  • Flat or Hilly Route ?
  • Freeway or Stop 'n Go City Driving ?
  • Cargo ? (What's in your frunk, trunk, basement?)
  • Wind ?
  • Windows closed ?
  • Sunroof closed ?
  • Rain ?
  • Snow ?
  • Pavement ? (asphalt? concrete? grooved? gravel? dirt?)
  • Regen ON ? Standard or Low? (had a buddy with a Model X who turned Regen off because his kids complained they didn't like it... then asked why his brake pads needed replacing so fast (he lives in the hills)... Duh

Last edited:
Something is wrong with your alignment. My P85DL typical efficiency is 255 to 280 wh/mile on my 260 mile round trip commute in the summer. Closer to 300 in the winter. The 312 average happened to reflect a ton of snow driving during the ski season plus the usual 350 tooling around town on shorter trips.

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 6.22.47 PM.png