Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D efficiency up after 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is slightly off topic, and in no way is meant to be inflammatory to those that are passionately looking for the "truth". The people here have knowledge on the cars that I would bet exceed most Tesla employees! That said, this thread has become curious to me...

I think part of the reason is the Jekyll & Hyde effect, we want massive power for local driving and we want decent range on trips.

Some of the results have been quite amazing (especially the outliers)...but to achieve them, other than to say you can, my very next thought is "why are you driving such an amazing car and only taking advantage of 20% of its driving capabilities?". Ive seen a few average wh/mile in the mid 300's over the course of 700+ miles....just seems like if that is your driving style, then why the P85D? Its probably a separate topic altogether but it just had me thinking why bother buying a thoroughbred if you're going to have it confined to the kiddy rides at the county fair.

I agree completely!

I am also averaging about 450WH/Mile and have 1600 miles on the clock.

- - - Updated - - -

Skilly,
I had a P+ for 18 months with a lifetime under 290. It is not how fast you accelerate (within reason) but that you never use brakes to eat up kinetic energy. It becomes a challenge to use the car but do so well.

I hardly use the friction brakes at all, and still average 450-ish ... Speed kills range. Like you said though, acceleration doesn't seem to make much of a difference though.

Some of the results have been quite amazing (especially the outliers)...but to achieve them, other than to say you can, my very next thought is "why are you driving such an amazing car and only taking advantage of 20% of its driving capabilities?". Ive seen a few average wh/mile in the mid 300's over the course of 700+ miles....just seems like if that is your driving style, then why the P85D? Its probably a separate topic altogether but it just had me thinking why bother buying a thoroughbred if you're going to have it confined to the kiddy rides at the county fair.

It's useful information for roadtrips. I.e. fun to drive around town average 450Wh/mile, but I also want to know how to get 250 miles out of it when I need to reach the first supercharger which is 240 miles away.

It's useful information for roadtrips. I.e. fun to drive around town average 450Wh/mile, but I also want to know how to get 250 miles out of it when I need to reach the first supercharger which is 240 miles away.

Ill agree - very useful indeed. But to my first point, in this thread, its being tested against a change in V6.1 as part of a super secret experiment TM is conducting with their customer base...just didn't seem logical. And then that started to manifest into doing our best with range...which to me defeated the point of going with a "P" and a "D"

- - - Updated - - -

Skilly,
I had a P+ for 18 months with a lifetime under 290. It is not how fast you accelerate (within reason) but that you never use brakes to eat up kinetic energy. It becomes a challenge to use the car but do so well.

Even with torque sleep I dont expect to get that kind of rating...It would require a complete rewriting of my driving style (not just learning regen etc - thats easy/ I use 'binder' brakes pretty much to control the creep at this point!). If I can get into the low 300s while not having to constantly remind myself to drive with range in mind, I will consider that a huge success.

- - - Updated - - -

I think part of the reason is the Jekyll & Hyde effect, we want massive power for local driving and we want decent range on trips.

a perfect description...and really, this is what we were told it would be and I expect that TM will deliver...just not in V6.1 ;)

Agreed. I know from my attempt at 70MPH cruise control gave me 366 WH/Mi.

But we also know that the torque sleep update is pending, so anyone who keeps on trying to drive at 350WH/Mi or less now seems to be subjecting themselves to torture for no reason. P85D was not built for setting cruise control at 65mph as its normal state.
Spending hundreds of miles to prove what we already know is just needless effort. We were already told the update is still pending, and expected at some point during this month. Enjoy the miles you put on :)

But we also know that the torque sleep update is pending, so anyone who keeps on trying to drive at 350WH/Mi or less now seems to be subjecting themselves to torture for no reason. P85D was not built for setting cruise control at 65mph as its normal state.
Spending hundreds of miles to prove what we already know is just needless effort. We were already told the update is still pending, and expected at some point during this month. Enjoy the miles you put on :)

OK...this sums up perfectly what I took way too many words to articulate!

For real ? store car at the SC .....

How do they get to this 330 MILES on a new P85D ? Is that just out of the box 260wh/mi?
Wow, 6.1. some kind of software !!:scared:

Attachments

• IMG_4781.jpg
    IMG_4781.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 376

240 miles is a stretch even in an S85. Has nothing to with a P85D. Not impossible, but you're really pushing it and have to extremely careful. Side note: Which SpC is 240 miles from Davis?

Obviously this isn't definitive, but I had a call from California today to ask if I had any questions about my new car. I said that I loved it, but was eagerly awaiting the promised software update to increase the range and she knew exactly what was talking about and assured me that they were working feverishly to deliver it and said there would be some sort of communication about it "soon." I've not been able to confirm or deny any changes to the range as I've sadly had to leave my car parked at the airport since I downloaded it. I did drive 30 miles or so and didn't see a significant difference

I've decided to forgo side by side efficiency testing for 6.1 with my P85D and P85.

I drove both cars today along roughly the same route in the same manner, casually and not for testing purposes, a few hours apart, roughly 25 miles total. The efficiency difference between the trips was 18% in favor of the P85, virtually the same result as my side-by-side on v6.0. This is enough to have me believe that the P85D has no efficiency improvements in v6.1 worth taking the time to explore in detail.

Rest assured when the efficiency update comes out, I'll do the side by side.

- - - Updated - - -

Ideal range. Which is totally unrealistic unless you can drive at a constant 45 mph for 330 miles.

Actually, I was using ideal range display for a while since when doing math with the numbers it gives greater granularity when calculating battery percentage. I'm kind of disappointed the new percentage display has no tenths... but I guess it kind of makes sense. 0.1% would be less than 85Wh.

For comparison reasons
P85 19 Michelin tires
Flat road
65 degrees
5mph wind
65 miles per hour
273 W/M

65 MPH P85 .jpg

on a side note my car is always on ideal miles
it is not fantasy miles, I can easely obtain this Efficiency with mixed highway and in town driving
with a little
hypermiling .
my setting is always on ideal
I know it helps to have mild temps

Last edited: