Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D "Extra Firm" Ride - Love it or hate it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85D with 19" rims was delivered with the Primacy tires at 45 psi from the factory. After a service center visit last month, I noticed that my ride was not as comfortable. I checked my tire pressures and noted they were all set for 50 psi. Did some research here and saw that Tesla had changed the specs apparently due to some concerns about abnormal tire wear. Road on them a couple of more weeks at 50 psi, but I was really unhappy with the ride. Lowered the pressures to 46 psi, and all is back to normal. I have had no abnormal tire wear with over 4k miles now, so I am not worried. Those extra 4 pounds of pressure made a big difference for me in regards to the ride quality.

I agree.

And the communication even after the fact is not consistent.

My all-seasons came back, after being installed, inflated to 48 PSI. When I asked about it, the SC said the recommendation was "45 to 50." But the thread I referenced, or others on the topic, say the door stickers are now stating the minimum cold pressure is 50 PSI.

Where are you getting that information?

Everything I have read indicates that the maximum pressure is always the maximum to inflate to when the tire is cold, and that it is understood that the pressure will be higher than that when the tire heats up.

Working in a tire shop for two summers. Normally filling the tires to the specified pressure for the vehicle load cold would be just fine because the vehicle specified pressure is never anywhere near close to the maximum inflation pressure. If you fill the tires at to 50 psi at 40F and then drive in 115 degree weather(and these swings can occur in Arizona), the tires can heat up to 130+F and your pressure will increase 15 psi. Do you want to be driving around on tires inflated to 65 psi? If you do, then go right ahead but make sure you put up a sign so everyone knows to stay way way behind you.

Working in a tire shop for two summers. Normally filling the tires to the specified pressure for the vehicle load cold would be just fine because the vehicle specified pressure is never anywhere near close to the maximum inflation pressure. If you fill the tires at to 50 psi at 40F and then drive in 115 degree weather(and these swings can occur in Arizona), the tires can heat up to 130+F and your pressure will increase 15 psi. Do you want to be driving around on tires inflated to 65 psi? If you do, then go right ahead but make sure you put up a sign so everyone knows to stay way way behind you.

And that would be perfectly fine. Tire manufacturers take that into account when designing the tire's capabilities.

It seems obvious to me they raised it to 50 to lower rolling resistance and to squeeze more miles out of those little electrons. No other luxury car of same size has that high a tire pressure that I am aware of.

No, 51 psi is actually a common maximum cold tire pressure.

But what he's saying is other car co's don't use these pressures. I don't know of any either, and would agree 50psi gives up ride, for range.

But what he's saying is other car co's don't use these pressures. I don't know of any either, and would agree 50psi gives up ride, for range.

At least some of those cars have a different pressure for different speeds on the vehicle placard (I've also seen it on the filler door). And can you guys and gals really feel the difference? I don't have that much extra padding.