Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Ferrari Leather Custom Interior (Including Next Generation Seats)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you "black out" the headlights? Doesn't that reduce the light output? That doesn't sound like a good thing, but then I don't know about these kinds of modifications.

In the Model S, the headlight housing doesn't act as a reflector as they do with some other vehicles. The light output is strictly from the HID projector and its lens.

Since you've posted for our view and comments, I guess I'll be the first to raise an objection. Though maybe exactly what your client wanted, I think the heaviness of the black outlining and the argyle pattern on the leather interrupt the simplicity and continuity that I find compelling on the stock interiors. But at the moment, based on comments, I appear to be in the minority. Just thought I'd offer a different perspective.

Right, but the HID lens is located behind the blacked-out plastic front, therefore the light output would be significantly reduced because it has to pass through this darker material.
Back in my m5 owning days, we would black out the inside part of the headlight, not the plastic cover. That stays clear but everything surrounding the bulb would be blacked out.
There was no way of getting inside those headlights so we had to cut them open.

@bulletproof, are model s headlights easily opened?

Is this something you guys are willing to do on a customers car?

Yes, we'll be offering it soon for all customers.

Right, but the HID lens is located behind the blacked-out plastic front, therefore the light output would be significantly reduced because it has to pass through this darker material.

I think you might misunderstand how the Unplugged Performance headlamps are being modified. They have the interior bezel modified, not the clear lens.

The UP headlamps will offered completely upgraded projector assemblies, with custom lenses for noticeably improved output over the OEM Tesla projector. The bezel being painted has does not affect on the output of the headlamp.

Back in my m5 owning days, we would black out the inside part of the headlight, not the plastic cover. That stays clear but everything surrounding the bulb would be blacked out.
There was no way of getting inside those headlights so we had to cut them open.

@bulletproof, are model s headlights easily opened?

Again, I think might have been some confusion, the inner bezel, NOT the clear lens is darkened.

As far as opening the lamps, it's tough to say "easy" versus "difficult" without knowing a person's skill level and confidence. I will say that the MS headlights require a specific process for getting them open cleanly (and without breaking anything).

Some more photos...

Door Panels:
10943662_10153091844768324_5295367083048567223_o.jpg

Center Console:
10931076_10153091845668324_4587088304043745434_o.jpg