Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Front Motor Noise Levels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may of course be an unique feature of the demo car you drove. If the sound frequency is related to speed only, it is probably not from drivetrain itself (switching from regen to acceleration changes the flow of power in inverter and other components so significantly that it should make some difference). Magnetic fields in the motor are also different during these situations, so I guess it is not from the motor (rotor, coils).

As you've experienced similar sounds from audio systems, I think the cause could be similar too (bad grounding, faulty capacitor in some circuit board etc..)

I am also really sensitive to all kinds of noises, especially this kind of - that's why I am interested (expecting to get my D early next year)

Let's hope MarcG can give us a little bit more info :)

I don't want to insult your intelligence...just throwing it out there...but are you sure it wasn't tire noise? Some brands have treads that are noticably noisy and with frequencies dependent on speed...and it's more noticeable driving a quiet car.

This may of course be an unique feature of the demo car you drove. If the sound frequency is related to speed only, it is probably not from inverter (switching from regen to acceleration changes the flow of power in inverter and other components so significantly that it should make some difference). Magnetic fields in the motor are also different during these situations, so I guess it is not from the motor (rotor, coils).

Agreed. The distinct lack of correlation to power input makes me think it is not motor, inverter, wiring, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to insult your intelligence...just throwing it out there...but are you sure it wasn't tire noise? Some brands have treads that are noticably noisy and with frequencies dependent on speed...and it's more noticeable driving a quiet car.

Not possible to insult my intelligence; at the same time, thanks for the gentle approach. :)

Tire noise? It sounded like gear noise, if anything. But, I may be pre-disposed and/or have decided that in the first few seconds, and then confirmation-biased from there on. I will ponder the tire noise question. And, I may go drive the car again. But right now, I'd say it wasn't tire noise.

Hey folks, long time P85 driver here. Took a P85D for a test drive today. I think I'm well situated to comment on the noise.

First, the drive: Simply amazing! Acceleration is everything we've heard, the handling and ride quality was surprisingly improved over my P85. Interior quality with the next gen seats is definitely improved, up to Audi levels.

I did hear noise from the front motor, and it was most certainly gear sound. It was directly correlated to speed and acceleration/deceleration forces on the motor. Almost as if there were straight cut gears in the front gear box instead of helical cut gears. It was not inverter whine or any other sound non-D cars make.

Cruising at a constant speed there's no noise. Put some load on the motor and there is. I didn't find it objectionable but I could see others being sensitive to it.

Note, the demo car was a very early VIN for a P85D - in the 62,000's as opposed to the 63,000's and 64,000's we're seeing for all of the first customer orders, so there may have been some improvements in production cars.

I did hear noise from the front motor, and it was most certainly gear sound. It was directly correlated to speed and acceleration/deceleration forces on the motor. Almost as if there were straight cut gears in the front gear box instead of helical cut gears. It was not inverter whine or any other sound non-D cars make.

Cruising at a constant speed there's no noise. Put some load on the motor and there is. I didn't find it objectionable but I could see others being sensitive to it.

It could also come from joints in the front axle (as there are no similar joints in the rear axle).

Let's wait for comments from production cars.

Last edited:
So I'll try to ask this as respectfully as I can. I fully understand that owners of 100k+ cars have high expectations of comfrot, as they should, but... do we seriously have to pretend like no car in the history gave out any engine noise when accelerating?

With your standard S the motor is under the trunk, between the wheels, it's so far away, you probably don't hear it. But every frikkin' ICE ever built is roaring like a dinosaur when you step on it. I imagine even 100k+ ICEs with 200-400hp. In fact one of the usual complaint from geraheads is that EVs don't have any engine noise. If you watch any sci-fi, all EVs have an artificial whine added to the soundtrack (even real cars like Teslas, lol) to make them "cooler".

I could certainly understand a high pitch whine being annoying if its constantly "on", but if it's only under acceleration, isn't that normal, to be expected, even part of the fun?

It is not about comfort at all, it is all about studying what is going on and removing the slightest imperfection still present.

One in dirty and smelly working robes does not care about that little dark spot on the left sleeve.
One in pure white silk robes, does.

First reading this thread over a week ago, brought me to attention, since I have on order an S85D. (why anyone needs more acceleration than an S85, I have no idea but appreciate different tastes). But, some of the responses to noise from the front motor does give me pause and some angst over having ordered the S85D, for projected delivery in February.
So, I contacted the Seattle Tesla Store to learn if they have on hand an S85D. They do not, but do have a P85D recently arrived. Would it be possible for me to experience driving the P85D? Absolutely. This I did this morning. I was psyched to hear "noise," or "whine" from the front motor. I strained to hear either on acceleration, deceleration, slow speed, vigorous acceleration. I really tried hard to hear anything even remotely objectionable. Finally, I could detect a faint "whirr" on both acceleration and deceleration. E-Gads! If someone finds what I heard objectionable, they must be looking very hard for something to object to, or, have "dog ears." And, this was the Performance Model, with larger motors in both front and rear than my Model S 85D will have.
Now, I am more eager than ever to experience delivery of the plain, pedestrian, run of the mill, common, ordinary S 85D!
After test driving an S 85, vigorous acceleration made me think of how Colonel Yeager must have felt in his jet while breaking the sound barrier. Well, maybe I exaggerate just a little bit, but, I need no more responsive car than that. I am sure there are those who can appreciate the acceleration of the Performance model. I am not one of them. My drive of the P model today was what I consider a very quiet driving experience.

A whine whilst the motor is under load from acceleration sounds like my Roadster...I am used to it, and at times, enjoy listening to it...if I don't want to hear it, I just crank the tunes...:smile:

JDixon test drove a P85D today...can you chime in on this issue?

Hey folks, long time P85 driver here. Took a P85D for a test drive today. I think I'm well situated to comment on the noise.

First, the drive: Simply amazing! Acceleration is everything we've heard, the handling and ride quality was surprisingly improved over my P85. Interior quality with the next gen seats is definitely improved, up to Audi levels.

Note, the demo car was a very early VIN for a P85D - in the 62,000's as opposed to the 63,000's and 64,000's we're seeing for all of the first customer orders, so there may have been some improvements in production cars.

A whine whilst the motor is under load from acceleration sounds like my Roadster...I am used to it, and at times, enjoy listening to it...if I don't want to hear it, I just crank the tunes...:smile:

JDixon test drove a P85D today...can you chime in on this issue?

I test drove the P85D in New York over the weekend. The front motor whine during acceleration was noticeable, but not as loud as the turbine whirr of the Roadster gear box or the "balloon squeal" on some Model S's.

Personally I didn't think it was objectionable. The whine was only there during hard acceleration - I thought it was cool to have some subtle audible feedback while punching it.

Yes, I should say the noise was very slight.

If you're coming from an internal combustion engine you probably would never notice it.

If you're coming from a rear-wheel drive Model S, you might notice it as it's some additional noise that wasn't in the RWD cars.

The P85D and 85D have the same front motor, I'm pretty sure, (the P85 just has a larger rear motor), so a P85D test drive should suffice for front motor noise checks for standard 85D's.

And, again, this was in an early, pre-general-production P85D that I'm commenting on. Customer delivered cars might be quieter. I'll hopefully be able to say first hand soon - my P85D is finally done and about to ship!

The P85D and 85D have the same front motor, I'm pretty sure, (the P85 just has a larger rear motor), so a P85D test drive should suffice for front motor noise checks for standard 85D's.

The 85D has a 188 hp front motor while the P85D has a 221 hp front motor according to the order page. They're different unless they use the same motor but limit the one in the 85D. Based on the feedback from actual delivered production cars it seems that the noise is no longer a problem. I imagine it's even less-so on the 85D.

I'd feel the same Dave...

I test drove the P85D in New York over the weekend. The front motor whine during acceleration was noticeable, but not as loud as the turbine whirr of the Roadster gear box or the "balloon squeal" on some Model S's.

Personally I didn't think it was objectionable. The whine was only there during hard acceleration - I thought it was cool to have some subtle audible feedback while punching it.

The 85D has a 188 hp front motor while the P85D has a 221 hp front motor according to the order page. They're different unless they use the same motor but limit the one in the 85D. Based on the feedback from actual delivered production cars it seems that the noise is no longer a problem. I imagine it's even less-so on the 85D.

It could just be a current/inverter difference, like the rear motor. I can't imagine they would want to deal with 3 different types of motors (shared rear motor across all RWD models but two different motors for AWD).

Considering the motor was the same across all RWD models, it seems pretty likely they're the same motor. Either different inverters, or software limited. That would have supply chain benefits as well.

I didn't realize the RWD all had the same motor. That definitely makes it easier to supply, I agree. So the 60, 85, and P85D would all have the same rear motor but the 85D front/rear and P85D front would use a new, smaller motor, right?

If you really need audio feedback, you can always turn the radio to AM and find a spot between radio stations....

Tesla Model S motor induction sound through AM radio - YouTube

Not my video, but I confirmed it works. I hear it when tuned to AM1120.

I drove a P85D today (VIN 55056). From what the other posters have stated about the noises from the front, I was preparing myself for the worse. What I experienced was driving bliss with the very cool sound that only Tesla's make when accelerating. I started this thread based on comments from others, but from my experience the P85D is nearly quite and like another poster stated you almost don't realize how fast you are going unless you have the Speed Warning set like I did.

Awesome car, can't wait for mine to be delivered!!

This is the kind of explanation that I expected to hear from experienced Tesla drivers (with thousands of kms under their belt)...perhaps some of the earlier observations are from less experienced Tesla drivers...I really don't expect this to be an issue.

I drove a P85D today (VIN 55056). From what the other posters have stated about the noises from the front, I was preparing myself for the worse. What I experienced was driving bliss with the very cool sound that only Tesla's make when accelerating. I started this thread based on comments from others, but from my experience the P85D is nearly quite and like another poster stated you almost don't realize how fast you are going unless you have the Speed Warning set like I did.

Awesome car, can't wait for mine to be delivered!!