TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D front motor vibration issue

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by joer00, Jan 14, 2015.

1. joer00

joer00 Member

Got my D yesterday. Love the car of course, BUT I can sense a light vibration sometimes in the steering wheel. My old P85 started to develop some serious vibration noise which sounded like bad bearings. Kind of "Whup whup whup" on slow speeds.

If I drive slow with the D and put just my fingers on the wheel I can feel a slight vibration with a similar sound type.

Anyone experiencing this ?

2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

joer00:
    Are you certain that vibration is NOT the lane departure warning? The LDW feels like a light vibration in the steering wheel.
    PS: Congrats on the new P85D!

3. joer00

joer00 Member

Yes of course I know that difference. Its much less than the LDW.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

vibration in the steering wheel could be out of balance tires.

5. tc4542

tc4542 Member

At all speeds? My bet is balance/alignment issues.

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Most likely a wheel balance issue. Make sure you don't have any caked on mud (anything significant) which would cause a weight imbalance. If not let Tesla know and they should be able to check the wheel balance for you.

Very likely not a vibration from the motor...those puppies are smooth as glass.

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

A few days after getting my P85 I noticed a "tick tick tick" sound when driving, most noticeable when driving slow. I thought "oh no, bad wheel bearing." A few days later I was showing the car to a few people and one of them said "did you know you have a screw stuck in your tire?" Tire shop pulled the screw, checked for leaks, and I was on my way - with no more ticking.

8. scottm

scottm Active Member

I always get ticked with a screw when tired too. Much prefer to be more awake. In your case, the screw could have easily ended badly with a blow.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Is your a/c compressor running? That can cause the light vibration you describe as well.

10. LVSP85D

LVSP85D Member

I'm also getting this occasional vibration that the OP discribed. Doesn't happen all the time, but can happen randomly while driving.

Pretty sure I didn't have A/C on during the vibration, not sure what's causing it.

11. AndreS

AndreS Member

I also have this! P85D

12. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

There is a fix that should have gotten around to you by now that replaces one of the front motor mounts. Not sure about VIN's affected so don't go all self-diagnosing yourself too badly.

13. AndreS

AndreS Member

I too have this. In Norway. Car eas finished production just after new year.

14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Is Tesla going to be airlifting thousands of motor mounts to Norway just as they airlifted thousands of drive units? And at what point is someone at Tesla going to say wow, this is silly, maybe we should engineer things a little bit better or test things a little bit more before we actually ship a product?

15. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Amped, that's a pretty broad indictment considering we're talking about a handful of reports over three months, at least one of which was shown to be due to something entirely outside Tesla's control (a screw in a tire).

16. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

End of quarter rush. I think they will continue to have these outliers. Tesla had admitted themselves that they are making changes on the line as builds happen. I'm sure some just don't get fully tested. And from a business perspective, it's probably more cost effective to have the service center deal with it outside of the factory, than it is to halt production. I've always said it's a dangerous game to spend the good will of the SC so early on in the purchase, not to mention making it the customers problem to resolve. But hey, it will work that way until it doesn't.

17. joer00

joer00 Member

I recently had a P85 loaner, so I could verify that my feeling is not wrong. Totally different, in my D I really "feel" the drive shafts in the steering wheel. After driving the P now it is REALLY annoying.

Good to know that this might be a known issue and that there is a fix. Any P85D owner in the Tampa/St Peter area to drive my car and give me his opinion ?

18. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I was being sarcastic.

19. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Sorry, I read you wrong. Comedy is hard...

20. Dr.K

Dr.K Member

Have this, too. Tech dismissed it as front motor normal, but it really sounds and feels like something out of alignment. Would love info if anyone had this fixed and by their doing what?