Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D frunk: yeah, it's small

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the tough part of this when i valet i have to constantly remind them how to close the frunk in case they need to open and close it for any reason. Once I requested valet to bring up my ipad from the frunk and forgot to tell them how to close it. Next day, there was a crease on the lower edge dead center. :( My fault for forgetting, but I also believe that Tesla really didn't think about this one when they were designing the car.

Last edited:
the tough part of this when i valet i have to constantly remind them how to close the frunk in case they need to open and close it for any reason. Once I requested valet to bring up my ipad from the frunk and forgot to tell them how to close it. Next day, there was a crease on the lower edge dead center. :( My fault for forgetting, but I also believe that Tesla really didn't think about this one when they were designing the car.
I understand that a major redesign would be costly. While adding an automatic closing mechanism like what the rear hatch has may be the best solution, it would not be inexpensive. But is there any reason a "Frunk Lock" button couldn't be added via software, to prevent inadvertent opening of the frunk? People have talked about valets opening it by mistake, and then closing it incorrectly. Yesterday I opened mine by mistake when I intended to open the rear hatch. I cringed. I closed it very carefully. I think that's only the third time I've had my frunk open. I'm not planning on using it much, so a locking feature would be useful. I expect it would be useful for others too.

I understand that a major redesign would be costly. While adding an automatic closing mechanism like what the rear hatch has may be the best solution, it would not be inexpensive. But is there any reason a "Frunk Lock" button couldn't be added via software, to prevent inadvertent opening of the frunk? People have talked about valets opening it by mistake, and then closing it incorrectly. Yesterday I opened mine by mistake when I intended to open the rear hatch. I cringed. I closed it very carefully. I think that's only the third time I've had my frunk open. I'm not planning on using it much, so a locking feature would be useful. I expect it would be useful for others too.

I would love a "Valet Mode" that did four things:
1. Locked out the glove box
2. Locked out the frunk
3. Limited max power and speed
4. Prevented disabling of remote app monitoring

Enabling Valet Mode should ask for a PIN that would later be required to disable it.

Guys:
Can one of the P85D owners do me a solid?

I shoot sporting clays, trap and skeet on a regular basis. Can a firm shotgun case which is 9" wide and 36" long and about 5 inches deep fit
inside of the frunk, in a horizontal posture inside of what appear to be the ears of the frunk?

Thanks So Much in Advance.

Guys:
Can one of the P85D owners do me a solid?

I shoot sporting clays, trap and skeet on a regular basis. Can a firm shotgun case which is 9" wide and 36" long and about 5 inches deep fit
inside of the frunk, in a horizontal posture inside of what appear to be the ears of the frunk?

Thanks So Much in Advance.

Did a quick check with tape measure. Something 36" could fit in the "ears", but only if it's other dimensions are 5" x 6". 9" vertically would barely fit towards the back of the "ears" but is too tall for the front of the "ears". 9" front to back is too big to fit in the "ears". Also, 36" is just at the widest. Move forward or back a few inches and it's more like 34-35".

Did a quick check with tape measure. Something 36" could fit in the "ears", but only if it's other dimensions are 5" x 6". 9" vertically would barely fit towards the back of the "ears" but is too tall for the front of the "ears". 9" front to back is too big to fit in the "ears". Also, 36" is just at the widest. Move forward or back a few inches and it's more like 34-35".

Commasign:
Thanks so much for the time and post. Looks like I will have to go with a soft case or better yet, build myself a custom Frunk shotgun case. That would be a nice project, especially if I can hunt down some super figured wood. Best, Art

@Art: why not put the shotgun case in the rear well? I haven't actually measured it, but it seems perfect for the application and you don't risk creasing the hood, too. Or do you have the rear-facing seats?

I honestly can't bring myself to use the frunk very much due to the relative fragility of the hood and the need to close it with such care. If Tesla came out with an effective stiffener plate upgrade at a some exorbitant price, I'd probably buy it.

I use my frunk regularly, use a moderate amount of care when closing, and don't worry about it.

I placed my Tesla microwave bag into the frunk of my P85D. You can get the hood to close, but I wouldn't say "it fits".

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering if the organized pictured is the pre or post August 2013 production size.

The post August version, which I believe is what is still for sale in the online store, is about an inch shorter, so it might actually fit.

I would love a "Valet Mode" that did four things:
1. Locked out the glove box
2. Locked out the frunk
3. Limited max power and speed
4. Prevented disabling of remote app monitoring

Enabling Valet Mode should ask for a PIN that would later be required to disable it.

This exact thing currently exists. Did your suggestion make it into production?
Valet mode (activated under Driver Profiles) locks the glove box and frunk, limits power output and top speed to 70 mph, Nav system doesn't display "Places", voice commands are disabled, cruise control is disabled, status bar functions are disabled, the mobile access settings are disabled and Homelink and Driver Profiles are not accessible.

This exact thing currently exists. Did your suggestion make it into production?
Valet mode (activated under Driver Profiles) locks the glove box and frunk, limits power output and top speed to 70 mph, Nav system doesn't display "Places", voice commands are disabled, cruise control is disabled, status bar functions are disabled, the mobile access settings are disabled and Homelink and Driver Profiles are not accessible.

Seems so. Down to a T. :)

But I was by no means the only one suggesting this.