Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D going 155 mph / 250 km/h with newest .153 Firmware (Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How solid/tight did the car feel at high speed? Comparable to BMW, Mercedes etc?

I have just come back from a 1700 mile round trip from London to Cortina, Italy and back via Germany. I took my chance to see what my P85D could do with four people and fully loaded boots. The most I got to was 153mph before traffic forced me to back off but I have to say it was ROCK solid. And spookily quiet, with just the increased tyre and wind noise to give away you were going so fast. Absolutely no issues with the steering or any sense that the car was getting "twitchy". Very impressive!

BTW, my understanding for limiting the speed to 155mph is cost. If the car is capable of over 155mph you need to further uprate the tyres, breaks, suspension etc. to meet safety regulations.

I have just come back from a 1700 mile round trip from London to Cortina, Italy and back via Germany. I took my chance to see what my P85D could do with four people and fully loaded boots. The most I got to was 153mph before traffic forced me to back off but I have to say it was ROCK solid. And spookily quiet, with just the increased tyre and wind noise to give away you were going so fast. Absolutely no issues with the steering or any sense that the car was getting "twitchy". Very impressive!

BTW, my understanding for limiting the speed to 155mph is cost. If the car is capable of over 155mph you need to further uprate the tyres, breaks, suspension etc. to meet safety regulations.

The Model S can't sustain speeds above 130 or so because it can't remove the heat fast enough. The speedo should have turned red to indicate this. How long it can sustain it unknown and probably a bit variable based on ambient temp, humidity, etc.