Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D going 155 mph / 250 km/h with newest .153 Firmware (Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
217 kph is very close to 135 mph. It could be that the car is limited to 155 mph intermittent and 135 mph continuous.

It will be very interesting to see this done a higher (80%+) SoC. At a high SoC there should not be a battery SoC limit to max power, but motor, inverter, and battery temperature could still be limits on continuous power limit. Unfortunately, Tesla gives us no info on where the limit occurs.

I wish Montana still had unlimited, daytime speeds. It would be worth a drive that way... :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm curious about this as well.

My 85D is scheduled for delivery in June (it hovers between Late May and June), and one of the first things I'm going to do is open it up on the A5 near the Frankfurt airport and see how it does. And I want to find a decent mount for my phone in the meantime so that I can get some video as well.

Actually, does anyone know how some videos include telemetry in the video? Are there apps for that? That would be perfect to know.

Those videos are usually from dedicated dash cameras. I'm not aware of an app that replicates that...

Those videos are usually from dedicated dash cameras. I'm not aware of an app that replicates that...

There's a pretty accurate iPhone app to measure 0-60 runs, Gs, quarter mile times etc. it uses both the phone's accelerometer as well as GPS. You have to attach the phone well to a seat or the center console, lying flat.

e320310a49b53c181d56ec7dee7d67f1.jpg

(That's a screen grab from my phone and my P85)

It's called Pocket Dyno (+)

There's a pretty accurate iPhone app to measure 0-60 runs, Gs, quarter mile times etc. it uses both the phone's accelerometer as well as GPS. You have to attach the phone well to a seat or the center console, lying flat.

e320310a49b53c181d56ec7dee7d67f1.jpg

(That's a screen grab from my phone and my P85)

It's called Pocket Dyno (+)

There are a few similar apps for Android that I've been testing. They use the GPS to measure speed so should not depend on the accuracy of the Tesla's speedometer. However, they then would depend on the accuracy of the GPS system... I don't know how accurate that is....
Anyway, check out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.wise.caracceleration (simple 0-60)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unnull.apps.carperformancefree
This one uses the phone accelerometer to derive lots of interesting data:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.autotest.acceleration

Have fun!

Yeah I know about those, I thought he meant an app that would overlay speed and whatnot over video.

Ok sorry. I get it now. In that case yes, you're right, your best bet is a quality dashcam.

Good ones have accurate accelerometers in addition to GPS (used for collision and parking mode monitoring too). For example the newer Blackvues.

It seems to indicate that that top speed is only sustainable for a short period of time.

Indeed and even then it is quite hard to get to the 250 km/h max so I consider it more of a marketing thing. When one starts driving 160 / 170 the limiter (225 kW) soon kicks in and trying to go beyond 200 with the limiter in place is very very slow. I wasn't able to get past 233 yesterday so I have yet to see the red numbering. The car is clearly not designed to run at those speeds and the battery drains like crazy.

Indeed and even then it is quite hard to get to the 250 km/h max so I consider it more of a marketing thing. When one starts driving 160 / 170 the limiter (225 kW) soon kicks in and trying to go beyond 200 with the limiter in place is very very slow. I wasn't able to get past 233 yesterday so I have yet to see the red numbering. The car is clearly not designed to run at those speeds and the battery drains like crazy.

As has been discussed earlier this of course has everything to do with the fixed gear ratio. Tesla could opt for another gear ratio that I would assume could quite easily allow the car to go 280 kph (at say 16-17000 RPM). The batteries would of course drain very quickly but I'm sure it could be done. The downside naturally would be slower acceleration in the 0-140 kph range (where it's actually useful).

As has been discussed earlier this of course has everything to do with the fixed gear ratio. Tesla could opt for another gear ratio that I would assume could quite easily allow the car to go 280 kph (at say 16-17000 RPM). The batteries would of course drain very quickly but I'm sure it could be done. The downside naturally would be slower acceleration in the 0-140 kph range (where it's actually useful).

The Tesla engineers made the right tradeoff I believe. It is much more practical (and fun) to be able to accelerate quickly than to be able to run 180+ on the highway. Driving it at speeds above 200 just makes washing it that much harder. I'm going to give it a bath tomorrow because the front now looks like a bug mobile. :rolleyes:

The car is clearly not designed to run at those speeds and the battery drains like crazy.

I emptied the pack (90 to 7 percent) in 100 km. So obviously, you wouldn't get from supercharger to supercharger at 217 km/h either. Still fun :D

Release notes state: "Your P85D can now perform high passing maneuvers up to 155 mph (250 km/h) when battery energy, powertrain temperature, and road conditions allow."
So it probably is due to drivetrain overheating that it limits to 217 as some of you thought.

But even on a German Autobahn, you are not performing passing maneuvers with 250 very often :D

Release notes state: "Your P85D can now perform high passing maneuvers up to 155 mph (250 km/h) when battery energy, powertrain temperature, and road conditions allow."
So it probably is due to drivetrain overheating that it limits to 217 as some of you thought.

I was at 75% charge on a 70 degree morning on a private road down here in Texas, and the car would not go beyond 131 mph. Upon talking to the service advisor, he was informed by Tesla HQ that another patch would be coming through soon to actually activate the 155 mph capability. I suppose we will see.....

I was at 75% charge on a 70 degree morning on a private road down here in Texas, and the car would not go beyond 131 mph. Upon talking to the service advisor, he was informed by Tesla HQ that another patch would be coming through soon to actually activate the 155 mph capability. I suppose we will see.....

Yes, if I recall correctly, .153 update raised the P85D's limit to 155. The update has been rolling out since Friday and we seem to be one of the first to get the update. Maybe you didn't get it yet, check the About-Screen on your MS. What version does it read? As far as I know, Tesla takes some days to roll the updates out.

Yes, if I recall correctly, .153 update raised the P85D's limit to 155. The update has been rolling out since Friday and we seem to be one of the first to get the update. Maybe you didn't get it yet, check the About-Screen on your MS. What version does it read? As far as I know, Tesla takes some days to roll the updates out.

I got the update on Friday, read the release notes, and noted the change in my speedometer. Yet on Saturday, no change to the VMax under the conditions noted. Unacceptable.

The hotter wires get the higher their resistance value becomes. More current and the same voltage = more heat. It becomes a death spiral until the conductive material fails or current is dropped. The cooler they can keep the components the longer they can push high amounts of power through the electronics. In the future if they want to push more they'll need to either increase the size or increase the cooling capacity.

I think Tesla should consider limiting regen at those speeds. Not only the air drag does the job at those speeds but also to lower those temps at deceleration moments.

Or maybe just instruction for professional users to choose that mode in settings.

Nr2) How does the software handle power limitation, specifically cruise control? Also is cooling system foolproof? (running pumps/fans after high load situation stops with excessive heat buildup and shutting the vehicle down)

Just questions from a engineering student :D