TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D initial observations, upgrading from a P85+ (October 2013 build)

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by pdx, Dec 21, 2014.

1. pdx

pdx Member

I haven't tried Insane mode yet, lots of rain right now, but I will soon. The car is amazing. Coming from my P85+ (October 2013 build) my initial observations, in no particular order, are:

• It's quieter.
    • The arm rest leather is different, feels a bit more durable.
    • The brake pedal is easier to press and responsive.
    • Regen is better! It seems to be easier to get between 30-60 kW without the car slowing down as much with Standard mode set.
    • As stated earlier, the steering sensitivity no longer listed in settings. I feels like Standard mode; harder than Comfort, easier than Sport.
    • There's less resistance from the new turn stalk when shifting gears.
    • Not sure if it's just having new tires, but man, in Sport mode I can't get the slip at all on the rainy wet roads.
    • The next gen seats are MUCH better, more comfortable, more supportive. You do lose the kangaroo pouch on the driver's side which I'll miss.

I'll add more as I drive the car more.

2. svp6

svp6 Member

Thanks for the review - keep them coming! You know what they say - a picture is worth a thousand words. I may add a video is worth a thousand pictures :wink:

3. bluenation

bluenation Member

then i guess a test ride is worth a thousand vids! hehe....i think we know what's worth a thousand test rides. :)

the question is, what's owning a thousand p85d 's worth?

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I think you meant to put that as "what's worth as much as owning a thousand P85D's" - in which case the only suggestion I really have is your own personal Dragon (since the Shuttle is dead and Orion is taking forever to do anything.)
    Walter

5. WarrenInCA

WarrenInCA Member

Your perceptions are appreciated!

6. Firewired

Firewired Member

Wow! Nice to hear that the production version may actually be quieter. Thank you for all your comparisons. Very great for me to hear as I get ready to take delivery in the next couple of days.

7. anxman

anxman Member

@Pdx -- Congrats on your new P85D. I did 7 standing Insane starts on wet Bay Area roads on Friday night and in only one case did a tire slip and it immediately recovered. The P85D feels bolted to the ground and on turns, it feels like it's on rail. The infuriating body roll of past models is finally gone.

8. gdavison

gdavison Member

I hope the steering options come back .. I prefer my P85 in sport all the time

9. KOL2000

KOL2000 Member

My P85+ already feels like it's on rails so I guess i just need to test drive. Thanks to OP but can you please tell us about bigger differences between the P+ and PD? None of the ones you mentioned are compelling enough for me to trade the stroller-fitting frunk of the P+...

10. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Are the side bolsters adjustable?

11. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Hi, on the P85D that I took out for a test drive did have the new performance seats, the side bolsters were not adjustable on these particular seats.

There was a lumbar adjustment that seemed to be either airbag or mechanical which did adjust the rear support firmness and pressure in the small of the back.
    The front and rear seats were heated with controls on the large screen.
    The headrests were not adjustable from what I could see.
    The driver's front seat was very adjustable with electronic controls, up, down, forward, back, and seat back angle as
    well as tilting of the bottom down and up in front and down and up in back thus a pitch control.

I did notice that the driver's side front "pouch" was not on the front of the seat on this test car.
    It is to be seen if the the seats in that test car are early or represent the final product.
    Also, the alcantara inserts were also not on the new seat and the earlier Performance Seat colored piping was not present.

This all said, the new P85D seats were very nice to sit in. Really embracing.
    Also noted that on the P85D that I tested, the door sills have a metal TESLA sill plate that looked like brushed stainless.

The new sill plates are not often discussed. I do not know if these sill plates are P85D specific or will be on all newer S models.

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#12 Lloyd, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  13. GetAmped

GetAmped Member

#13 GetAmped, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016