Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D - Insane acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would the P85D go on reverse with the same acceleration? A world record 0 to 60 to 0 to -60, back to the same location,I bet this would be a record unbeatable for many years!

I was also wondering about another possible record: 0-60-0 or 0-100-0. OK so the Tesla does not have ceramic brakes, but the very low COG, regen, and low suspension mode might make for some amazing numbers! Not F1-type numbers, but great for a street sedan.

I can't wait for the reputable auto rags to get the car in their own hands to play with. I think there is going to be quite a wave of awestruck articles.

I also was thinking that Jeremy Clarkson just might be regretting trashing the Roadster years ago. Elon holds grudges forever. Clarkson will not be among those who get to play with the new toy.

Finally, recall that Elon said that the car's performance would get better over time with firmware tuning. Once again, as he said on the Q2 call, I think they have not shown all their cards.

Lol. You can almost smell the fear. People get ugly when their long held beliefs get threatened. And an electric car that can go 0-60 in 3.2 threatens everything.

P85D not only has the speed, but also the road holding ability. The reason I leased or bought German cars for the last 15 years is because how well they are planted on the road. There is something about designing cars having in mind that people may drive them really fast on the autobahn. The P85+ is in the same class with my current BMW 650, and driving it once convinced me to give it a try as my next lease. The only concerns I had were AWD, seat quality, and lack of advanced driver assist - that is until last week. Needles to say I changed my order to P85D.

Also on the graph I posted, when watching the slashgear movie at slo-mo I had the impression that perhaps the driver lifted the foot before 70 mph (somewhere in the tunnel) - not surprising since they did not want to crash during a demo run. If the car can do this on an isolated run with 4 people I can only imagine what it does with a single driver.

The mass definitely makes a difference. By myself, I can spin the P85 tires every time from a dead stop, even without fully flooring it. When I've got 5 people in the car, they don't spin at all even when I smash the pedal all the way down immediately.

True
I did experinced the same - the P85 was tire/weather limited (rearly HK limited)

This is exactly why a AWD will keep better road/tire traction - expecialy when alone in the car.