TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D Insane Mode Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Bhavint, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Bhavint

Bhavint Member

I took delivery of a 2016 P85D on 12/31/15. My buddy was at Tesla and noticed the p85d is no longer an option. I checked online and no longer on the design studio. They no longer offer "insane mode". Only "ludacris mode" on the p90d.

Since the upgrade from p85d insane to p90d ludacris was $13k, is my 2016 p85d a rare commodity or did my resale value just plummet?

Anyone have any further information? Feeling slightly discouraged 3 months into ownership.....

Regardless the car is beyond amazing.

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

why would you be feeling discouraged because of the elimination of a variant of your car? I don't think those changes mean that much to your resale value.

3. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

Insane is the base configuration for a P90D. Luda is an option.

• Helpful x 1
  4. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

this doesnt work that way.

5. Bhavint

Bhavint Member

i contacted tesla hq and requested a 2016 vin but delivery on the last day of 2015. Its very rare....but they did this for me in order to receive my 2015 tax break and have the value of a 2016 vehicle.

6. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

To check values log onto ev-cpo.com. You can check each model separately.

7. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Tesla doesn't have traditional model years. There is no additional value in a 2016 vs. 2015.

8. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

#8 bhzmark, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    Oh so that was a humble brag. Written to elicit a comment like mine so that you can then reply correcting me with your clever scheme. :)

I admit a pretty cool trick to have the foresight to ask for next year's vin.

There certainly is resale value in being officially (that is by the VIN number) a newer model year than an older model year.

btw, picking up a 2016 in 2015 has nothing to do with whether insane mode is discontinued so I couldn't resist making that observation and trying to salvage some value in a thread that otherwise has only false speculation. (I know, imagine finding false speculation on the internet! - oh the horrors)

edited to blunt elbows and add appropriate emoticons.

9. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Wow there are some sharp elbows about.

10. Bhavint

Bhavint Member

I didn't think anyone would fall into my "trap":)

My information was based on a call i made to Tesla HQ. Apparently the employee was incorrect.