Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85d insurance - any luck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As part of the buying process I have been checking out various costs. Insurance isn't one I can tick off.

None of the comparison sites list the tesla p85d, in fact one of them didn't even list tesla as a car manufacturer!

The closest ive come is a quote on a p85 (maybe the +) can't remember. Even in this case it wouldn't even find the car the manual way, luckily I had w pic with the reg on it. The quote was £650.

my jaguar xfr is £370! How come tesla insurance is so much more and companies won't even quote it?

Im worried more about the p85d as its more expensive and faster.

Any luck getting a quote anyone?

Thanks

Even entering the numberplate on comparison sites doesn't help :( I entered mine, and it incorrectly identified the car as an 85 (I'm in the cheap seats with a 60).

I only did it out of interest, as my car is on the company fleet policy. Personally it would have been £950 using GoCompare, full no claims, over 40, living in a good postcode in Nottinghamshire.

I think you are into phoning around to get the best price. But @MGBoyes is right, 4 digits is highly likely.

Most that we called wouldn't write a policy. Said it was an "Exotic". We ended up with USAA. Not everyone can do that...

I have a neighbor who ordered a car a few weeks after I did. His is an S85, and that may make some difference. He got quotes from Travelers, a couple of others, and landed on Geico.

I got a quote from LV and that was £370. Speculative though, don't have a Tesla, YET.

That is incredibly cheap

i got a quote on a P85+ at £650 with Admiral

I phoned eSure today who don't cover vehicles above 50k but because i have an existing car with them they would charge me until the end of my policy and they would also allow me to continue. They wouldn't give me an annual quote but what they quoted me until the end of my policy worked out on a yearly basis added to my current policy gave £610.

If it ends up in the £550 - £650 region i will be happy!

However! They would only cover theft if i installed a tracker, damm! I don't think the tesla has an approved tracker so now i need to install one. Have no idea what issues that is going to create for the installer.

However! They would only cover theft if i installed a tracker, damm! I don't think the tesla has an approved tracker so now i need to install one. Have no idea what issues that is going to create for the installer.

Tesla will invalidate your warranty if you fit a 3rd party tracker (and with the few 12V battery issues a few folk have experienced I can understand why adding any more drain on the 12V system is a bad idea). Its a dead end that many of us have experienced, Tesla Alarm system does not have Thatcham rating so is not recognised by many of the "cheaper / high street / internet" insurance companies, so no insurance for theft clauses. And then the risk of no warranty on the car and affected resale value etc if fitting a tracking system

Hence after going round this loop, like others I gave up on by broker of 15 years and went with H&L .. LV are also high on others lists on a company who seem capable of handling a Tesla.

I'd be very interested if the Admiral policy T&Cs are available online to read as I would guess there is a deeply hidden condition in them re a "Thatcham approved" or similar worded alarm system being required and folk who are at Admiral are perhaps not insured for theft :scared:

Oh wow that is ridiculous

I'm amazed warranty is invalidated by adding a tracker, this is the entire vehicle warranty?

- - - Updated - - -

Ps what about a tracker that uses its own battery pack power source?

http://www.trackerfit.co.uk/stolen-vehicle-trackers/tracker-retrieve-battery-powered.html

its cat 7, I assume it's insurance approved?

The last time I had to have an approved tracker, it specified Cat 5. These are the more intrusive type with full monitoring and remote deactivation, as well as requiring you to carry a secondary fob.

It was a PITA, I kept forgetting my fob, which wasn't supposed to be kept on your key ring, or in your wallet. I must have forgotten it a dozen times in 3 years, and every time shortly after having set off would get a call from the monitoring centre, fortunately they never disabled my car remotely :D

I have no idea how they would even begin doing the remote deactivation part on the Model S, without it going via Tesla's servers.

Maybe Tesla should apply for Thatcham approval, bar the secondary fob, they already meet the 24/7 monitoring bit and 2 way car to call centre communication requirements.

That is incredibly cheap

i got a quote on a P85+ at £650 with Admiral

I phoned eSure today who don't cover vehicles above 50k but because i have an existing car with them they would charge me until the end of my policy and they would also allow me to continue. They wouldn't give me an annual quote but what they quoted me until the end of my policy worked out on a yearly basis added to my current policy gave £610.

If it ends up in the £550 - £650 region i will be happy!

Just tried LV again, and now they say the car must have a tracker....

Sadly they dont .. in 5 months of ownership the "app" has been down for 24 hours plus 3 times

True. But I guess my point is the car does have all the on board stuff a top rate tracker needs, i.e. GPS and always on GPRS/3G connection.

If all insurance companies started insisting on trackers, and Tesla invalidate the warranty when they are fitted, people will be between a rock and a hard place.

Fortunately mine is on the office fleet policy, so they've just put driver age restrictions on the Tesla, and not asked for a tracker. (We have something like 15 cars on fleet, and I think only my business partners 911 still requires a tracker. Saying that mines not a P85D)

All good news, so as others have said if they applied for (and got) a Thatcham rating a lot of folks problems would simply go away

Having visited an insurance approved tracking centre there is a bit more to it than just the hardware in the car. They probably need some work in implementing procedures and trained and background checked staff, but they've done the hard part.

Also bear in mind a big part of the cost differential between a CAT5 and the cheaper trackers is the subscription charges. If memory serves it was something like £150 per year, with the first two years bundled with the install.

I wouldn't think it unreasonable if Tesla charged a slight premium for providing a Thatcham approved tracking service, so at least there would be some revenue in it for them.

FWIW The Porsche system is 270 GBP a year with no "bundled" in free years

My work colleague had his previous 911 done at the same time I had my Exige S done, this was all done by a third party passed onto us by the insurer (this was back in '06 when CAT5 had just been launched).

They had his Porsche done in no time flat outside the office... Took much more head-scratching and a senior installer to come back later and work out how to do the Lotus :D

But at £270 per year, there's definitely some margin in it if Tesla so chose, and it certainly would remove a potential purchasing objection. :cool:

Tesla will invalidate your warranty if you fit a 3rd party tracker (and with the few 12V battery issues a few folk have experienced I can understand why adding any more drain on the 12V system is a bad idea). Its a dead end that many of us have experienced, Tesla Alarm system does not have Thatcham rating so is not recognised by many of the "cheaper / high street / internet" insurance companies, so no insurance for theft clauses. And then the risk of no warranty on the car and affected resale value etc if fitting a tracking system

Hence after going round this loop, like others I gave up on by broker of 15 years and went with H&L .. LV are also high on others lists on a company who seem capable of handling a Tesla.

I'd be very interested if the Admiral policy T&Cs are available online to read as I would guess there is a deeply hidden condition in them re a "Thatcham approved" or similar worded alarm system being required and folk who are at Admiral are perhaps not insured for theft :scared:

I may be wrong, but if you have the Tesla security system fitted, that runs off its own battery.

I noticed that the security system has been removed from the design studio, along with the dual chargers option. Next Gen seats are now a option on the s85. Does this mean that Tesla are including the security package and dual chargers in the price, or, leaving it up to the owner to fit a 3rd party security system. If the latter is the case, it should remove any warranty difficulties from fitting a tracker I would have thought?

I noticed that the security system has been removed from the design studio, along with the dual chargers option. Next Gen seats are now a option on the s85. Does this mean that Tesla are including the security package and dual chargers in the price, or, leaving it up to the owner to fit a 3rd party security system. If the latter is the case, it should remove any warranty difficulties from fitting a tracker I would have thought?

That is an interesting change .. and overall I can see a noticeable price drop if I respec my car .. reading the spec I dont think they have bundled in the alarm