Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Lost power on road, "Pull over safely"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did the Pagosa Springs to Boulder, CO drive today with .179 in my P85D and range mode on, without incident.

• 242 miles from Pagosa to Silverthorne getting 261 Wh/mi. Arrived with 40 rated miles and considered driving north on route 9 and back again, to beat Stevezzzz's P85D record, but passed.
  • 86 miles from Silverthorne to Boulder and some errands in Boulder getting 202 Wh/mi

Seriously?!!! Holy smokes. I'm doing something wrong. It's colder here for sure, but I get numbers like this per km! On the highway, at 55 with almost no heat!

Seriously?!!! Holy smokes. I'm doing something wrong. It's colder here for sure, but I get numbers like this per km! On the highway, at 55 with almost no heat!

The two top things to check are air pressure and alignment. Be sure to preheat the car before driving if you're plugged in and try to have the charge end shortly before driving. Depending upon how cold, two or three cycles are needed.

Hi, @Jerry33,

How do you recommend setting up those multiple charge cycles for cold climates (I'm in Boston)?

For instance, a cycle that ends at 70%, then one that ends at 80%, then one at ends at 90%?

I have been using VisibleTesla to schedule a single morning charge to 90% and cabin pre-heat. (I finish a charging cycle at night to, I believe, either 75% or 80%.) Sometimes, I have come out to find that car just perfectly ready -- no dotted lines restricting regen or power use, cabin toasty. Other times, there is still a regen limit. It never occurred to me to try multiple cycles, I just thought I'd have to further reduce the nighttime charge and allow longer for the morning charge.

Thanks,
Alan

The two top things to check are air pressure and alignment. Be sure to preheat the car before driving if you're plugged in and try to have the charge end shortly before driving. Depending upon how cold, two or three cycles are needed.

And anyone who has seen jerry33's lifetime Wh/mile numbers knows to listen when he talks about this, right?
(then again, as a Texan he may be blessed with a) flat and b) warm surroundings :)

Hi, @Jerry33,

How do you recommend setting up those multiple charge cycles for cold climates (I'm in Boston)?

For instance, a cycle that ends at 70%, then one that ends at 80%, then one at ends at 90%?

I have been using VisibleTesla to schedule a single morning charge to 90% and cabin pre-heat. (I finish a charging cycle at night to, I believe, either 75% or 80%.) Sometimes, I have come out to find that car just perfectly ready -- no dotted lines restricting regen or power use, cabin toasty. Other times, there is still a regen limit. It never occurred to me to try multiple cycles, I just thought I'd have to further reduce the nighttime charge and allow longer for the morning charge.

Thanks,
Alan

Jerry was talking about multiple cabin preheat cycles, not charging the traction pack multiple times. Cabin preheat runs for about 30 minutes and then shuts off; if it's really cold you'll need to do it two or three times to get the battery pack warm enough to avoid the regen limits. Also note that Range mode needs to be off in order for cabin preheating to have a salutary effect on battery temperature.

If you need charging, a single charge cycle is all that's required, just arrange it to end shortly before you unplug and go.

My statement above is not contradictory.

We're talking about two different things.

With range mode on, preheating the cabin will not preheat the battery. With range mode off it will. That is one issue.

A completely separate issue is how the battery heats when it is being charged. Range mode being on or off has no impact on that. The battery has to be heated when it is being charged if it is cold, as a cold battery can't be charged. That is why people try to time charges to end near departure time. The battery will be warm anyway, because it will have just been charged, and it will have had to be warmed to be charged.

And I'm not saying that .179 didn't change things such that now the battery does heat with range mode on when the cabin is preheating. I'm just pointing out that if Electrish's battery was warm because it was just charged, he can't conclude that there was a change made in .179 that affected that aspect of range mode.

I get what you are saying. The verbiage "the battery is heated when charging" is confusing.

The battery is heated by the TMS. The battery heats (internally) as it's charged. The two aren't mutually exclusive, obviously.

I get what you are saying. The verbiage "the battery is heated when charging" is confusing.

The battery is heated by the TMS. The battery heats (internally) as it's charged. The two aren't mutually exclusive, obviously.
And it gets even more fun. If the pack is really cold (IIRC below 40F / 5°C, but I can't find the reference to that right now so this may be wrong) the TMS will turn on the battery heater before charging it because it can't charge the battery below a certain temperature.

Most importantly, I preheated the cabin and finished the 100% charge 15 minutes before departure.

Disadvantages for that run were snowy, slushy roads over Wolf Creek Pass, crossing 3 passes, including the continental divide twice, and a net climb of 1,800 feet on the Pagosa to Silverton segment.

Advantages for me were long segments, thin air at altitude, a consistent tail wind, my distance speed rule of Posted Speed Limit+4 mph with a max of 59 mph, and a net descent of about 3,500 ft from Silverthorne to Boulder. Also, even though it was an average of about 35˚ F., For much of the drive, it was mid-day sun and with the seat heater on "2", I was comfortable with a fleece on, and HVAC off.

Even without the tailwind, I did 277 Wh/mi with .140 on the Pagosa to Silverthorne part.

Thank you, @stevezzz!

*cabin* preheat, not multiple traction pack charges -- sorry I missed that critical point.

In my limited experience, doing a two-stage traction pack charge -- first stage overnight, to say 75% or 80%, with a final charge about an hour before departure, taking it to 90%, seems to work better at preparing the battery for driving without regen or power limits than does cabin preheating. Am I missing something? Could I just do my regular charge to 90% overnight (probably ending around 2 a.m.), then run 2 (or even 3) cabin preheat cycles 60-90 minutes prior to departure?

Thanks,
Alan

Jerry was talking about multiple cabin preheat cycles, not charging the traction pack multiple times. Cabin preheat runs for about 30 minutes and then shuts off; if it's really cold you'll need to do it two or three times to get the battery pack warm enough to avoid the regen limits. Also note that Range mode needs to be off in order for cabin preheating to have a salutary effect on battery temperature.

If you need charging, a single charge cycle is all that's required, just arrange it to end shortly before you unplug and go.

And it gets even more fun. If the pack is really cold (IIRC below 40F / 5°C, but I can't find the reference to that right now so this may be wrong) the TMS will turn on the battery heater before charging it because it can't charge the battery below a certain temperature.

It was this that I had been referring to. I'm in upstate NY, and I believe the poster I was responding to originally was in Ohio. It's winter. Our packs are almost certainly requiring heating before charging much of the time right now.

If the way I worded my original response wasn't as crystal clear as it might have been, it's probably only because in my own mind I'm just always thinking of the battery being very cold, and needing to be heated before it can be charged.

When I said the following, I was talking about heating the battery, so that it could charge (what dirkhh references above.)

The battery has to be heated when it is being charged if it is cold, as a cold battery can't be charged. That is why people try to time charges to end near departure time. The battery will be warm anyway, because it will have just been charged, and it will have had to be warmed to be charged.

Last edited:
Could I just do my regular charge to 90% overnight (probably ending around 2 a.m.), then run 2 (or even 3) cabin preheat cycles 60-90 minutes prior to departure?

You could, but the closer you end the charge to your departure time, the more effective the cabin preheating will be because the pack will have had less time to cool down after the charge is finished.

My car has been under the knife since yesterday. I saw it drive into the service bay(on the app) and a short time later it disappeared from view. I haven't been able to reconnect to it since. Besides waiting for the new front drive, they had to get a special tool delivered. Probably shouldn't Rush them.

Thank you, @stevezzz!

*cabin* preheat, not multiple traction pack charges -- sorry I missed that critical point.

In my limited experience, doing a two-stage traction pack charge -- first stage overnight, to say 75% or 80%, with a final charge about an hour before departure, taking it to 90%, seems to work better at preparing the battery for driving without regen or power limits than does cabin preheating. Am I missing something? Could I just do my regular charge to 90% overnight (probably ending around 2 a.m.), then run 2 (or even 3) cabin preheat cycles 60-90 minutes prior to departure?

Thanks,
Alan

I think the optimal strategy is to charge only once, timing it so that the desired SOC is reached just before you plan to depart (though I expect the strategy you describe isn't that much less efficient). That way you're not using shore power to warm a cold-soaked battery pack twice. Worse, if you do a full charge that ends several hours before departure and then use only cabin preheating prior to departure you won't be taking advantage of the side effect that warms the battery during charging: that 'waste' heat of charging will have long since been lost to the environment. True, the battery may already be warm from driving when you first arrive at your garage, so you might argue it's more efficient to charge right away; though unless it's really cold in your garage, in the morning the battery doesn't need to be warmed again before it can accept a charge, it just warms itself as a side effect of being charged. Also note that a battery pack warm from charging reduces the amount of cabin pre-heating required: it's like having under-floor heating for the cabin.

Better than just emailing/calling those affected by a bad firmware upgrade would be a warning on the console for affected vehicles telling about the workaround, and a second warning if the workaround isn't on (in this case, range mode off).

Last edited: