Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Lost power on road, "Pull over safely"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my particular case last year, the contactors recovered and the car powered up again... but a few blocks down the road, I gave it power again to see if I could get the car to fault again and sure enough it did.

It might be a one-off diagnostic that triggered it and now everything works fine -- or, it could be a broader problem.

The frustration I had was that Tesla Roadside told me that there was nothing wrong with the car and that no events were logged when it did it the first time; yet the service center and engineering told me later that indeed it had logged events that they needed to look into.

Good luck with the diagnostics.

Thanks to all for explaining the contactors. It's too bad the car doesn't have an error message explaining that the contactors disengaged whenever it tells them to do that for whatever reason. I know the contactors may, or may not, be the problem when they disengage, but at least knowing that the contactors are not engaged would be useful.

Just want to note, as clarified in an edit I made to the opening post, I'm not 100% sure the contactors opened in my case since the cabin heat was still pulling some power according to the pic in the dash.

We drove the P85D about twenty or twenty five miles locally today on .167, but I didn't push it at all, and was never on the highway. Probably never had it over 45 or 50 tops. I'm trying to decide whether I should suggest to my wife that she take the ICE to work (55 miles or so each way) tomorrow, just to be safe. I'd be driving the Model S on roughly the same trip the following day, with the dog in the car. I really don't want my wife to get stranded on the side of the road by herself, nor do I want to be stranded with the dog. On the plus side, so far no one has actually been stranded.

Really not sure what the right decision here is.

In my particular case last year, the contactors recovered and the car powered up again... but a few blocks down the road, I gave it power again to see if I could get the car to fault again and sure enough it did.

It might be a one-off diagnostic that triggered it and now everything works fine -- or, it could be a broader problem.

The frustration I had was that Tesla Roadside told me that there was nothing wrong with the car and that no events were logged when it did it the first time; yet the service center and engineering told me later that indeed it had logged events that they needed to look into.

Good luck with the diagnostics.

The roadside person I talked to said that they didn't see any logs to explain the problem, whereas the Vancouver service center said they saw some possible temperature issues with the front motor. Not sure why but the first line people only have very rudimentary diagnostic skills. Maybe then only get critical and major alerts etc. whereas the service centers get all the logs to sift through.

I drove my 85D all the way up to Burlington tonight and back ~200 miles round trip. No problems and I'm on .167. Granted I'm not a P85D but I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's .167. Could just be a coincidence.

I think it's happened to about half a dozen people now, in roughly 24 hours since the update. That really seems like more than a coincidence.

We drove the P85D about twenty or twenty five miles locally today on .167, but I didn't push it at all, and was never on the highway. Probably never had it over 45 or 50 tops. I'm trying to decide whether I should suggest to my wife that she take the ICE to work (55 miles or so each way) tomorrow, just to be safe. I'd be driving the Model S on roughly the same trip the following day, with the dog in the car. I really don't want my wife to get stranded on the side of the road by herself, nor do I want to be stranded with the dog. On the plus side, so far no one has actually been stranded.

My vote would be to have your wife take the ICE just for peace of mind -- for both of you.

I drove 80 miles yesterday on .167, a mix of highway and local. Didn't have any issues. Fwiw.