Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Lost power on road, "Pull over safely"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing more reports of this... I'm willing to bet the firmware is to blame. They need to get a handle on firmware QA it seems.

People were screaming their heads off that that HAD to have this torque sleep by midnight of January 31, or else.
Some need to be careful what they wish for and let Tesla take the time to test for anomalies.

People were screaming their heads off that that HAD to have this torque sleep by midnight of January 31, or else.
Some need to be careful what they wish for and let Tesla take the time to test for anomalies.

.167 didn't add torque sleep. It's been there since .139. And the very people who have had this problem with .167 had .139 or .140 with torque sleep. So I fail to see the connection between the complaints about Tesla missing their deadline and the issue with this release. There was no deadline to put this out. Nobody even expected the update.

Another data point: I upgraded to .167 Saturday night and then drove about 450 miles in ECO mode from London, KY to my home in Michigan on Sunday. No issues.

BTW, it was the last leg of my 3,000 mile round trip between Michigan and Florida. The car performed flawlessly the entire time.

I have to agree. I'm really worried about the future of Tesla if they keep making software and hardware errors like this. What if they alter the thermal management algorithm for supercharging, but add a bug? A fire at a supercharger could be disastrous for the company. Ugh. I love Tesla and have followed them for years -- almost could have forgiven the earlier cars having minor issues, like A pack failures -- but they're ~50k cars in, and still making serious errors like this.

+++

keep us updated OP and david. I hope CR's 'average' reliability rating wasnt too optimistic.

Drove 59 miles so far today not in range mode. Stopped to try out the CHAdeMO adapter (which is cool, btw). No issues, no shudder, etc. Seems perfectly fine so far.

Have about 70 more miles to drive today. Will report later.

bcld | FEBRUARY 23, 2015
Downloaded .167 in my P85D on Sat. Drove it today and had a random "early warning aler"t go off with no other traffic in site. Then, 15 minutes later, I got the "alert Service Required - reduced power." I was also going up hill when that alert came on. I called my service center and they said they will look up my vin and call be back in an hour.
I never had his happen with the last version .139? I feel lucky because the power did not shut off, but if it had while going up hill with turns, which is where I was also at, it would have been very dangerous. I hope they fix this bug fast as I don't dare drive it.
PS I love Tesla and just want it fixed, and I'm glad someone before me posted the problem. Thank You!!!

Same thing happened to me today (P85D with .167 update from last night), and it resulted in a particularly dangerous situation. Was going thru some uphill twisties where you lose sight of cars in front/behind you every 3 to 5 car lengths. Came around a right-hand turn and heard "beep-beep-beep", which I had only heard before when the "early collision warning" alarm went off. A moment later I got "car needs service" and all power disappeared underfoot -- I was left stranded on the uphill side of a blind curve with no power available at all.

Very scary as I sat there trying to figure out what to do -- pulled over as far as I could in the 10 feet of coasting I had remaining before coming to a standstill, but was still sticking out 2/3rds in the road (since there was no shoulder), and put my hazard lights on. Just then I saw a large truck come up behind me emerging from the blind curve -- fortunately he wasn't going that fast -- so I honked to be sure he saw me. After he passed, I decided to put the car in Reverse, then into Drive again, and luckily power was restored and I was able to drive out of there.

Whole incident probably lasted 45 seconds, but I was scared sh**less.

One other thing -- at one other point in the drive I felt something funny -- a "lurch" when traveling downhill that caused the car to lose speed for a moment -- then all continued as normal.

I called Tesla Service and they said they pulled the logs and forwarded to a service advisor, who is to call me tomorrow.

For anyone else who this has happened to, was there a "3 beeps" audio alert associated with your power shutdown? Or was what I heard an indication that collision warning system thought that hillside next to me was another car? (Just trying to figure out if "early warning detection" is correlated with "power shutdown" in .167)

Needless to say, this is an awfully bad bug to instantly lose all power when traveling at speed, and could have resulted in serious injury. This incident has shaken my faith in Tesla QA and the pace with which they are updating software for the D.

-- David

bcld | FEBRUARY 23, 2015
Downloaded .167 in my P85D on Sat. Drove it today and had a random "early warning aler"t go off with no other traffic in site. Then, 15 minutes later, I got the "alert Service Required - reduced power." I was also going up hill when that alert came on. I called my service center and they said they will look up my vin and call be back in an hour.
I never had his happen with the last version .139? I feel lucky because the power did not shut off, but if it had while going up hill with turns, which is where I was also at, it would have been very dangerous. I hope they fix this bug fast as I don't dare drive it.
PS I love Tesla and just want it fixed, and I'm glad someone before me posted the problem. Thank You!!!

It sounds like from what everyone has said and from what Tesla told wk057, this is isolated to range mode. So you should be able to safely drive your car as long as you leave range mode off. That's just my opinion of course. Check with Tesla to be certain.

.167 didn't add torque sleep. It's been there since .139. And the very people who have had this problem with .167 had .139 or .140 with torque sleep.

Actually, I did get a "power reduced" message on 2.2.140 (9 days ago, on 2/14/2015) - see this thread for details. But no complete loss of power.

Ever since 2.2.139 I've kept Range Mode ON. It's only been 2 days since I've upgraded to .167 and so far the only issue I've had was a single instance of a shudder. No warnings (yet...)

.167 didn't add torque sleep. It's been there since .139. And the very people who have had this problem with .167 had .139 or .140 with torque sleep. So I fail to see the connection between the complaints about Tesla missing their deadline and the issue with this release. There was no deadline to put this out. Nobody even expected the update.

How does the range look in the 85D? Haven't seen any reports on that yet.

bcld | FEBRUARY 23, 2015

I can't find my original thread which was specifically about the Power Reduced alert - not sure if the threads were merged as I haven't seen any notification as such. Anyway, this is the message I've had a couple of times and it seems very intermittent and possibly related to range mode (I had it on). My SC are still arranging to pick up my car which would be fine if it wasn't a 12 hour drive meaning my car will probably be gone all week. Thus I'm interested to hear if this problem is also confirmed to be firmware - ideally prior to my car being loaded up for Vancouver.

Just found that these threads have been merged.

Last edited:
Just spoke to Tesla.

"We believe this is a firmware related issue." Seems to be related to range mode also based on our conversation.

Other folks in range mode too? I was.

Sigh. Just another disturbing incident that proves Tesla's software team and QA are amateurs and need to be fired and replaced. This is not acceptable under any circumstance. Leaving people stranded. Really? Do they test this crap at all before pushing it to production? The seriousness of their software bugs are INCREASING over time. Now we got brake issues, steering issues, and random complete failures on 6.1.xxx versions. The significance of these faults and increase of frequency will destroy tesla if they do not fire and replace all the employees responsible for programming this crap and letting it go all the way through to production end users. I would fire everyone right up from the software engineer responsible to the senior executive that oversees this department. These are cars we're talking about here. Basically weapons on wheels. This ain't no pos iphone where faults can be tolerated until the next updates. I've lemoned vehicles for less significance than these issues.

Last edited:
I can't find my original thread which was specifically about the Power Reduced alert - not sure if the threads were merged as I haven't seen any notification as such. Anyway, this is the message I've had a couple of times and it seems very intermittent and possibly related to range mode (I had it on). My SC are still arranging to pick up my car which would be fine if it wasn't a 12 hour drive meaning my car will probably be gone all week. Thus I'm interested to hear if this problem is also confirmed to be firmware - ideally prior to my car being loaded up for Vancouver.

Your thread was merged into this one. Probably my fault, I reported your thread to ask that it be merged since it seems to be a lot of duplicated discussion between this one.

- - - Updated - - -

How does the range look in the 85D? Haven't seen any reports on that yet.

First I saw what you did there.

Second, no complaints but I think the range difference is so tiny that it easily falls into noise from weather conditions. I may try to do some comparisons after I get over 1k miles on it.