Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Lost power on road, "Pull over safely"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People were screaming their heads off that that HAD to have this torque sleep by midnight of January 31, or else.
Some need to be careful what they wish for and let Tesla take the time to test for anomalies.

+1

Maybe Tesla should adopt a firmware release schedule sorta like what Microsoft did/does. Push 'em out once a month. But, don't give hard timelines for new features LOL

How does the range look in the 85D?

First I saw what you did there.

Come on Ben, it's no secret that you got a green 85D!
You even published it in your own Google doc tracking deliveries :biggrin:

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 3.07.49 PM.png

+++

keep us updated OP and david. I hope CR's 'average' reliability rating wasnt too optimistic.

An update -- someone from the local service center just called and similar to wk057, said something to the effect that "engineering says it's a firmware issue and they are aggressively working on this". She also relayed information from engineering to the effect that "this only occurs when the drive unit powers back up". I explained to her that in my situation (driving aggressively uphill), both drive units should have been on, so that explanation didn't make very much sense to me.

What was also missing from the conversation was any indication that there's a workaround (e.g., to turn Range mode off).

I stressed to the person on the phone how important it was to determine if there was a workaround that could prevent this from happening while we are all waiting some indeterminate time for a firmware update to be released -- not just for the people on this forum (who are at least aware that this might happen), but for all the hundreds or thousands of other people who may be blissfully unaware that their P85D (85D? P85? 85?) could at any moment suddenly lose power. I told this person I wasn't sure whether it was safe to drive the car or not.

This person took all this down and said they would talk to engineering and get back to me.

Appreciate the suggestion about filing a NTSB incident report, not sure yet whether I'm going to do that.

-- David

Another update -- received a call from the service manager who assured me turning Range Mode OFF was indeed a workaround for the problem.

Root cause was rear motor shutdown, which I interpreted as "total power loss" because I was traveling uphill.

This is only happening on dual motor vehicles with the .167 firmware.

Service manager assured me they have visibility into all vehicles experiencing these problems (implication being that they are actively notifying those customers).

I said I now felt comfortable driving the car with the workaround of Range Mode OFF.

-- David

Come on Ben, it's no secret that you got a green 85D!
You even published it in your own Google doc tracking deliveries :biggrin:

I can't post in any thread about anything even if completely and utterly unrelated to the color of my car without being harassed about this. I've tried to be a good sport about this, but it's getting really old. If you must harass me about this go over to an appropriate thread to do it. But don't follow me around to every thread.

Sigh. Just another disturbing incident that proves Tesla's software team and QA are amateurs and need to be fired and replaced. This is not acceptable under any circumstance. Leaving people stranded. Really? Do they test this crap at all before pushing it to production? The seriousness of their software bugs are INCREASING over time. Now we got brake issues, steering issues, and random complete failures on 6.1.xxx versions. The significance of these faults and increase of frequency will destroy tesla if they do not fire and replace all the employees responsible for programming this crap and letting it go all the way through to production end users. I would fire everyone right up from the software engineer responsible to the senior executive that oversees this department. These are cars we're talking about here. Basically weapons in wheels. This ain't no pos iphone where faults can be tolerated until the next updates. I've lemoned vehicles for less significance than these issues.

Elon fired the morons in China who kept telling customers how challenging it is to charge the car when nothing could be further from the truth. Perhaps now its time to clean house closer to home. As long as the SVP in charge of this isn't Jerome Guillen, I would not want to see him go anywhere. Which SVP would oversee software development?

Last edited:
I can't post in any thread about anything even if completely and utterly unrelated to the color of my car without being harassed about this. I've tried to be a good sport about this, but it's getting really old. If you must harass me about this go over to an appropriate thread to do it. But don't follow me around to every thread.

Err, sorry buddy but you have the wrong guy. This is the first comment I make about this - just found it amusing that Mike pointed it out earlier here so it got me wondering if you truly got a green 85D. Congrats, by the way! And sorry if you've been harassed by a number of people, that was truly not my intent (easy solution: update you sig?)

ANYWAY... back on thread; I find it interesting that Tesla admitted there is a problem with range mode being ON and suggested a temporary workaround would be to turn it off. I've personally left it on purposely to see if I would experience the issue myself, however the minute I start driving on tight twisty mountain roads again, I'll be sure to turn it off :biggrin:

Err, sorry buddy but you have the wrong guy. This is the first comment I make about this - just found it amusing that Mike pointed it out earlier here so it got me wondering if you truly got a green 85D. Congrats, by the way! And sorry if you've been harassed by a number of people, that was truly not my intent (easy solution: update you sig?)

Yesterday it was wk057 following me around. Today it's NOLA_Mike. I said all I can say here:
85D First Impressions - Page 4

Read the thread and you'll understand why I'm not updating my signature.

Edit: And my apologies for further side-tracking the thread.

Yesterday it was wk057 following me around. Today it's NOLA_Mike. I said all I can say here:
85D First Impressions - Page 4

Read the thread and you'll understand why I'm not updating my signature.

Edit: And my apologies for further side-tracking the thread.

Got it, thanks for the explanation. Just posted in your thread to keep this one on track. Sorry for the side-tracking as well!

I had a short drive today in the P85D with .167 and Range mode ON. The only anomaly I noted was something I've seen under .139 as well: a strange lurch from the drivetrain at ultra-low speeds (typically in parking lots, trying to inch up to the parking bumper). I can't say what it is, because I've only felt it a handful of times in 5000 miles and can't reproduce it on demand.

While I can't say they've addressed the problem just yet, they've at least acknowledged it and have given the "turn range mode off" workaround for the time being. The workaround works, and should easily hold me over until they push a fix.

I personally see no reason to involve any other entities in this. They're not going to make them fix it any faster.

Boilerplate requirement from the US gov't.

When to report NHTSA issues?

I agree. Much better to keep this in the family so to speak. If this gets into the mainstream press it could do real damage. Tesla will fix the problem. The real question is will they fix the QA procedures. This one should be a real wakeup call for Elon and his top management. I don't think getting NHTSA involved will help.

I'm hoping that someone who has the same warning as I do gets a conclusive statement about firmware .167. As of now my car is being picked up tomorrow morning, and I'll probably lose it for a week or so. If that is what is required then so be it but I'd hate to find out this was a firmware fix after my car is headed to vancouver. I guess it probably wouldn't hurt for them to give it a good once over if it does end up there.

I'm hoping that someone who has the same warning as I do gets a conclusive statement about firmware .167. As of now my car is being picked up tomorrow morning, and I'll probably lose it for a week or so. If that is what is required then so be it but I'd hate to find out this was a firmware fix after my car is headed to vancouver. I guess it probably wouldn't hurt for them to give it a good once over if it does end up there.

I would really try to grill them one more time before letting your car get taken away. They may have felt like they were doing the right thing, and being proactive, but in light of the mothership now taking responsibility for the issue, perhaps the service center might want to take another look at the logs or whatever it was they saw, and re-evaluate whether or not they really want to give your car the once over. They have more information available to them now, but it's possible they don't even know that. You may be better informed on this issue than they are. Why not fully inform them, or help them inform themselves, and then give them a chance to reconsider.

If after doing that you are comfortable that they are completely up to speed on what has gone on over the last two days, and they still want to check out your car in person, then by all means let them have at it.