Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Lost power on road, "Pull over safely"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another call from Tesla.

Engineering confirms that it is a bug in the latest firmware that "will be fixed soon." And that the car "is safe to drive in the meantime."

Not 100% sure how those two statements go together considering what happened yesterday, but I'll go with it for now.

My vote would be to have your wife take the ICE just for peace of mind -- for both of you.

Saddest statement ever made to a Tesla owner. And this is supposed to be good for Tesla's image?

Another call from Tesla.

Engineering confirms that it is a bug in the latest firmware that "will be fixed soon." And that the car "is safe to drive in the meantime."

Not 100% sure how those two statements go together considering what happened yesterday, but I'll go with it for now.

updated to .167 Sat. Drove about 70 miles in the rain Sunday.
This AM got the Power Reduced message just driving mellow in nice weather.

I think I was in range mode, have to check.

GREAT! Just great! Now Tesla's software updates are causing cars to shut down or reduce power?

TESLA GET YOUR **** TOGETHER!

My god.

It's one thing for a software update to have some minor bugs, like lines not appearing correctly on the navigation, etc., but to have a software update basically kill your car while you are driving and freaking you out like this? I've said this for a long time... this is Tesla's game to lose. Tesla has been on the defensive lately and rightfully so. They are making poor management decisions and their software update vetting process is a complete joke.

I love my Model S, but Tesla is suffering from self-inflicted wounds. They say Musk is a micro manager, and if that's true, then maybe this is all his doing. Or maybe he has put too much trust in someone at the company who is making bad decisions. This is a car, not an iPhone. A bug like this that affects the drive train should be headline news. Tesla deserves to be beaten up over this. It's completely moronic and makes me question how this company is being run.

QC at Tesla is a big FAIL and I put this right on Elon Musk's door step.

Last edited:
I have to agree. I'm really worried about the future of Tesla if they keep making software and hardware errors like this. What if they alter the thermal management algorithm for supercharging, but add a bug? A fire at a supercharger could be disastrous for the company. Ugh. I love Tesla and have followed them for years -- almost could have forgiven the earlier cars having minor issues, like A pack failures -- but they're ~50k cars in, and still making serious errors like this.

I love my Model S, but Tesla is suffering from self-inflicted wounds. They say Musk is a micro manager, and if that's true, then maybe this is all his doing. Or maybe he has put too much trust in someone at the company who is making bad decisions. This is a car, not an iPhone. A bug like this that affects the drive train should be headline news. Tesla deserves to be beaten up over this. It's completely moronic and makes me question how this company is being run.

Can't disagree with you, AmpedRealtor. And I'm guessing you didn't even read the scariest post yet, which is in the other thread discussing this:

Same thing happened to me today (P85D with .167 update from last night), and it resulted in a particularly dangerous situation. Was going thru some uphill twisties where you lose sight of cars in front/behind you every 3 to 5 car lengths. Came around a right-hand turn and heard "beep-beep-beep", which I had only heard before when the "early collision warning" alarm went off. A moment later I got "car needs service" and all power disappeared underfoot -- I was left stranded on the uphill side of a blind curve with no power available at all.

Very scary as I sat there trying to figure out what to do -- pulled over as far as I could in the 10 feet of coasting I had remaining before coming to a standstill, but was still sticking out 2/3rds in the road (since there was no shoulder), and put my hazard lights on. Just then I saw a large truck come up behind me emerging from the blind curve -- fortunately he wasn't going that fast -- so I honked to be sure he saw me. After he passed, I decided to put the car in Reverse, then into Drive again, and luckily power was restored and I was able to drive out of there.

Whole incident probably lasted 45 seconds, but I was scared sh**less.

One other thing -- at one other point in the drive I felt something funny -- a "lurch" when traveling downhill that caused the car to lose speed for a moment -- then all continued as normal.

I called Tesla Service and they said they pulled the logs and forwarded to a service advisor, who is to call me tomorrow.

For anyone else who this has happened to, was there a "3 beeps" audio alert associated with your power shutdown? Or was what I heard an indication that collision warning system thought that hillside next to me was another car? (Just trying to figure out if "early warning detection" is correlated with "power shutdown" in .167)

Needless to say, this is an awfully bad bug to instantly lose all power when traveling at speed, and could have resulted in serious injury. This incident has shaken my faith in Tesla QA and the pace with which they are updating software for the D.

-- David

By the way, I had read the above before posting last night, which was one of the reasons I was so concerned about having my wife take the Tesla to work today. We decided, together, that she would take it. Unlike the poster above, if she lost power she would not likely be in a situation with blind curves, etc. I figured if it was really bad, and she was going to have to wait for a tow, I'd drive an ICE up to her and wait while she took the ICE the rest of the way to work. (I work from home, for myself.)

She did not have a problem on the way to work, and hearing now that the problem seems to be isolated to range mode, she will be driving home this evening with range mode off.

But the fact that we had to discuss whether or not she should take the Model S is disappointing, to say the least.

Last edited:
Saddest statement ever made to a Tesla owner. And this is supposed to be good for Tesla's image?

GREAT! Just great! Now Tesla's software updates are causing cars to shut down or reduce power?

TESLA GET YOUR **** TOGETHER!

My god.

It's one thing for a software update to have some minor bugs, like lines not appearing correctly on the navigation, etc., but to have a software update basically kill your car while you are driving and freaking you out like this? I've said this for a long time... this is Tesla's game to lose. Tesla has been on the defensive lately and rightfully so. They are making poor management decisions and their software update vetting process is a complete joke.

While I would tend to agree, overall, I'm actually probably not as angry about the issue as I probably should be. Had this happened to me on a day where I absolutely needed to be somewhere, or in heavy traffic, or in some other situation where the loss of power would have been more detrimental I probably would be more aggravated. As it stands I think maybe a single car passed me on the road I was one (the road at the intersection was busier) in the time the car was unavailable, so it wasn't a horrible situation, just inconvenient.

The fact that it is just a software bug is better than my car having some unknown mechanical issue.

If anything, Tesla needs to get a handle on software QA. For some data points, I received .140 on the 4th, and .167 on the 21st. That's 27 revisions in 17 days... no way they got all of the testing done that they needed to do before release in that time frame. Especially with changes that can cause something like this. No way...

Personally, I wouldn't mind being a beta tester.... that is, of course, if Tesla actually told me I was beta testing, which they haven't. If they had, this thread wouldn't exist. ;)

Same thing happened to me today (P85D with .167 update from last night), and it resulted in a particularly dangerous situation. Was going thru some uphill twisties where you lose sight of cars in front/behind you every 3 to 5 car lengths. Came around a right-hand turn and heard "beep-beep-beep", which I had only heard before when the "early collision warning" alarm went off. A moment later I got "car needs service" and all power disappeared underfoot -- I was left stranded on the uphill side of a blind curve with no power available at all.

Very scary as I sat there trying to figure out what to do -- pulled over as far as I could in the 10 feet of coasting I had remaining before coming to a standstill, but was still sticking out 2/3rds in the road (since there was no shoulder), and put my hazard lights on. Just then I saw a large truck come up behind me emerging from the blind curve -- fortunately he wasn't going that fast -- so I honked to be sure he saw me. After he passed, I decided to put the car in Reverse, then into Drive again, and luckily power was restored and I was able to drive out of there.

Whole incident probably lasted 45 seconds, but I was scared sh**less.

One other thing -- at one other point in the drive I felt something funny -- a "lurch" when traveling downhill that caused the car to lose speed for a moment -- then all continued as normal.

I called Tesla Service and they said they pulled the logs and forwarded to a service advisor, who is to call me tomorrow.

For anyone else who this has happened to, was there a "3 beeps" audio alert associated with your power shutdown? Or was what I heard an indication that collision warning system thought that hillside next to me was another car? (Just trying to figure out if "early warning detection" is correlated with "power shutdown" in .167)

Needless to say, this is an awfully bad bug to instantly lose all power when traveling at speed, and could have resulted in serious injury. This incident has shaken my faith in Tesla QA and the pace with which they are updating software for the D.
-- David

David, I urge you to file a safety complaint with the NHTSA immediately and while the details are fresh in your mind. You can do so here:

File a Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Tesla cannot and should not be excused for turning its owners into beta testers and putting their lives at risk. The fact that Tesla's software put your life in danger should be headline news. I would probably encourage you to take this to the media. I am a Model S owner and an ardent Tesla fan and supporter, but not when it comes to issues such as this. Something doesn't seem right at Tesla and I think we should all be concerned. We need to shine a light on this.

Looks like Scott Adams might have a Tesla, too: Dilbert Comic Strip on 2015-02-22 | Dilbert by Scott Adams
dt150222.jpg

Never thought I'd post something that compared Elon with PHB. But this is pretty scary.

+1 to filing a complaint. I put in mine and feel the same way.

As for the desire for "versioning" I don't want that level of complexity introduce to my car. I don't want to have to manage that, I don't work for Tesla and me having to juggle that makes sense if this was an internal product and it is not.

I don't mind them "testing" software with me as long as it doesn't touch a "critical" component. Preconditioning my car's temperature sure I'll play around with that. Autopilot beta, no thanks. I don't want my car to be a bumper car.

For my car they are talking about bringing it in to the service center as they are concerned about a possibly cooling issue. I'll ask them further about the .167 firmware but ultimately if they want to bring it in I'll have to go ahead and do that.

- - - Updated - - -

For my car they are talking about bringing it in to the service center as they are concerned about a possibly cooling issue. I'll ask them further about the .167 firmware but ultimately if they want to bring it in I'll have to go ahead and do that.

Talked to the SC and they are going to bring the car in. Apparently the front motor is showing higher temperatures than the norm and they want to check it out properly to avoid the possibility that I end up with a more catastrophic failure.
I have to say that in my case, the car seems to have done a good job of avoiding danger, given it seems to have shut down the front motor while leaving the rear motor operational. I guess having two motors is a "dual edged sword". It provides redundancy, but it also provides two points of failure.

FWIW, problem could indeed be related to be range mode More data points...I was at a Tesla event yesterday (Double Black Tesla Tour) in Joliet, IL yesterday and a few folks complained about a "shuttering" issue since 167 while in range mode. Service Techs were unaware of any issue. I drove well over 100 miles yesterday after 167 download NOT in range mode and no issue. All were P85Ds to best of my knowledge including mine.

Seems until update out, best not to drive in range mode.

Just spoke to Tesla.

"We believe this is a firmware related issue." Seems to be related to range mode also based on our conversation.

Other folks in range mode too? I was.

Has anybody been able to determine of the car reduces power prior to opening the contactors?

If they are opening under high current draw, that's hard on the contactors themselves... they are good for far fewer cycles when breaking under load...

WK sorry to hear this.
Pull over Safely.

This happened to me 3 times on a trip to the Ev Event in Garysburg, NC.
1st time was the drag event. I let the EV instructor from West Wilkes drive the S. on the second run it showed up on the dash. Pull over safely. He got out handed me the FOB and it started for me.
On the way back to the hotel I started to merge onto I95 S, and put the pedal to the metal. Let of the pedal, the car did not slow down. No regen. Looked down and there it was, Pull over safely. Pulled over and called Raleigh SC. He told me to reboot the car I did and it started, He told me he would pull the logs and call me. On the way home the next day I was passing this Red Neck in a ford pickup on I85 just before I40. He speeded up on me and I pushed hard on the pedal. Same thing again. So I rebooted again and drove the speed limit home. They called Monday morning telling me they would come pick it up. They said if I needed a loaner it would be 2 days or if had vehicle to drive they would come today. I said, I have a gas storage vehicle (Tahoe XL) I have the ranger service. Three days later it was back home.

It was the Drive Train. It was replaced. Its been about 10 mo and no trouble since.

Last edited: